bugs in flour....

Lenny The Tramp

am i the only one that always seems to get these little bugs in my (cooking) flour

sometimes i buy a bag of flour, use it once then they apear a couple days later, ive even seem them in there on un-opended packs

i had to throw away one just now - i shudda took pics to show you

can you all just do me a favour and check your flour lol, tell me if you see anything

they are tiny little black bugs..

i know what you're talking about. when my nan was in hospital, we cleaned out her cupboards and found them in the flour - they were white though. it's disgusting, but nothing to do with how clean your kitchen is, they just grow from the flour when it's gone past the sell by date. make sure you check all your best before labels.

edit: they lay eggs so you'd be best off just throwing away all your food tbh

Guest haze-e

i know what you're talking about. when my nan was in hospital, we cleaned out her cupboards and found them in the flour - they were white though. it's disgusting, but nothing to do with how clean your kitchen is, they just grow from the flour when it's gone past the sell by date. make sure you check all your best before labels.

edit: they lay eggs so you'd be best off just throwing away all your food tbh

Come on.

So your honestly telling me that these things grow from flour when its 'off'... Even unopened packs.

Therefore these things are in flour prior to the off date correct?

Or my house must be dirty coz i dont expect to purchase sh*t with sleeping bugs in it???

The bugs in flour and other grains, such as grits and rice, come from storage before packaging or using organic foods. Organic foods have more bugs.

Prior to packaging, grains are stored in silos where they are fumigated with methylene chloride. This kills the live bugs, but not the eggs.

After the grains get packaged, they go to a warehouse and then the market.

Bugs have prime opportunities to enter the grain packages, even if they are sealed with plastic.

The best thing to do when you buy grains is to put them in the freezer. The eggs will still be there, but they won't hatch due to the temperature.