Pull-ups/Chin-ups...

Michel Kane

r u doing them after 5x5 shoulder press? u cud do them assisted. worth sticking it imo being big but still able to save urself if u was hanging by ur fingertips on the edge of a cliff>>>>>>>>lol thats how i think when i do each repetition, that im pulling myself up from a ledge and my life depends on it, usually give my a couple more b4 failure. lol weird i kno.

I was doing them on that machine that helps you by taking some of the weight and one sport science guy stopped me and told me to allow the machine. He said do them but don't go down as far. So do 3x6 or something but only go half the full motion down and then come back up. I did that and over time I was going lower and lower till I was doing the full motion.I fully neglect them now though lol.

Guest Intervention

Yes, do NegativesInstead of pulling yourself up to the bar each timeJump up and grip the bar so you are at the height you would be had you completed a normal pull uphold this for 5 seconds, then slowly, while squeezing your muscles, lower yourself downward in a controlled manner, form is so important in the lowering+Or you can do them assited, a few gyms have a machine where you can kneel on the urr...thing while you do it, and you can select the weight you use to assist yourself, obviously the more the weight the more the assist you will receiveStart it at a weight (say 15k) and take more and more off untill you can do them comfortable without the assistI personally have never liked/used the above machine......even if I can only do a pullup, I just....hate machines..

Its goodButYou dont belong ot a gym? Dont have a park with monkey bars?Its an unneeded accessory imo
nah it should be a staple item in every young gentleman's abode imo. my boy fixed one up at my uni yard, no matter how slack i've been at gym i still manage to bang out pull ups and hanging leg raises several times a week. sh*t was revolutionary in fact because in the past when i had periods of not going gym i would do crunches and one too many pressups in my room without working out the back and that f*cked up my posture. also its good for doing stretches.

you have no arm strength in comparison to yr body weight,you are a testaverdedo more bicep curls and press upseg if you do 4 x 25 pressups evry other day u shud be able to do 3 x 15 pullups at willstart with 3 x 20 press ups and build from there ( or 3 x watever you can do)if yr using a gym,machines may help you reach this goal of upper body strength soonerbut for those without gym facilities,pressups,curls and simply building yr tolerance for pullups and increasing yr threshold regularly shud gain results in that fieldto summarize,advice is do more to do more

swear hes doing stronglifts 5x5 or something, which means he shud of gone hard on overhead press, which means he shudnt be able to do many pullups, if i remember correctly u do 3xf at the end of ur workout and if u can do more than 10 or 15 u need to add weight and work back up.or r u saying u just cant lift ur own body weight?

you have no arm strength in comparison to yr body weight,you are a testaverdedo more bicep curls and press upseg if you do 4 x 25 pressups evry other day u shud be able to do 3 x 15 pullups at willstart with 3 x 20 press ups and build from there ( or 3 x watever you can do)if yr using a gym,machines may help you reach this goal of upper body strength soonerbut for those without gym facilities,pressups,curls and simply building yr tolerance for pullups and increasing yr threshold regularly shud gain results in that fieldto summarize,advice is do more to do more
:/They use totally different muscles.

I'm listening to everybody here.M12, I'm tall & weigh alot. (6'2'' & weigh 13.5 stone). I can admit that my upper body strength isn't what I want it to be but allow the patronizing tone innit.I made this topic because it's a weakness which I'm trying to improve on.So, unless you have advice then..

Guest M12 Part 2
I'm listening to everybody here.M12, I'm tall & weigh alot. (6'2'' & weigh 13.5 stone). I can admit that my upper body strength isn't what I want it to be but allow the patronizing tone innit.I made this topic because it's a weakness which I'm trying to improve on.So, unless you have advice then..
lol bro im not parring it. i just find it strange. like most people said just bang out the negatives until you can pull yourself up.and pullups are about back more than arms. Pull from your elbows,