Nasri out to emulate Pires

TF S4DK

Samir Nasri is hoping he can enjoy the same sort of success at Arsenal as countryman Robert Pires.The Frenchman is coming towards the end of his second season at Emirates Stadium, and has fared admirably during his time in England.The 22-year-old is looking to produce even more in the future, though, with niggling knocks having hindered his progress at times.He believes he is more than capable of becoming a Gunners legend and feels replicating the achievements of former fans' favourite Pires, who represented Arsenal with distinction between 2000 and 2006, would be a good place to start."It is very flattering for me to be compared to Robert. He has done amazingly well at this club and scored loads of goals," Nasri told the May edition of the official Arsenal magazine."Often on TV, I see some of his games with Arsenal and he was a hell of a player."At the moment, I have not reached his degree of efficiency. Like Robert, I would like to score more and hopefully I can next season."Nasri has drawn comparisons with World Cup winner Pires after being deployed on the wing for much of his time under Arsene Wenger's tutelage.FreedomHe has, however, been unleashed in the centre of the park in recent weeks, following an injury to Cesc Fabregas, and the former Marseille man is revelling in that role."It is the position where I have always played. I know how to play there, behind one, two or three strikers and it is where I have the most freedom," he said."I can go where I want to on the pitch to lead the team."On being asked to play out wide on a regular basis, Nasri added: "For most of the campaign, I have played on the wing. Despite it not being my best position, I did not mind playing there."I learnt a lot, technically and tactically. It helped me become a better player."The boss has always told me that as soon as he put me back in the centre, it would be easy - and it is."I understand now how my wingers play and it has put me in a better position to give them the ball exactly where they want it."It is a good asset to my game to be able to play in various roles and positions."
Arsène Wenger believes that Robert Pires is the ideal standard-bearer for Samir Nasri.The Arsenal manager has been impressed by Nasri this season and expects the 23-year-old to get better and better. But although the French international has similar attributes to Pires, his scoring ratio does not currently bear comparison with the Arsenal legend.Nasri has scored five goals in 32 appearances this season, after recovering from the broken leg he sustained last summer, while Pires netted 84 times in 284 games for the Club - a rate of one every three or so matches. Wenger hopes that his current French playmaker can eventually emulate his previous one."Nasri is like Pires," said the manager, "I believe he is a hard worker, a good dribbler and a very interesting player because he has the combination of qualities that are quite exceptional. He has had a good season."Robert is a good target for him because if he can score the number of goals Pires scored then he will be an exceptional player."Nasri has played more in midfield because we lost Cesc Fabregas and he is the one who can play in this role. But I see Nasri in a wide role [in the future] because he has the tricks, the pace and don’t forget that Fabregas plays in the central role."

He needs to start mixing his game up when he plays wide, he has on the ball ability but seems to play within himself/safe.Need to see more attempts like his goal against Porto. (I know he was playing in the same position/role that Fabregas owns but he picked the ball up in a wide area)There is no reason why he shouldn't become a goal threat and start getting double figures.I don't ever expect him to be what Pires was to our team though.However, I expect a lot from him next season.

He needs to gain more confidence as a winger using his pace and skill to beat out the full backs or cutting in more.I cringe every time Nasri stops, pulls back and plays the pass to clichy who then makes a poor cross more than 50 % of the time hes one of the players who I want to see more from I want to see Porto Nasri all the time. He also needs to shoot more like the vast majority of our players.

• 1 year later...
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3775461/New-Manchester-City-star-Samir-Nasri-claims-Arsenal-lack-ambition.html
Nasri also admitted he took his foot off the gas at the Londoners because there was not enough competition for places — unlike at his new home.He said: "City have an enormous squad but the competition for places will make me challenge myself and improve my game."I won't retreat into a comfort zone — and maybe that is what I did when I was at Arsenal.
lol wenger is shook of having a big squad yet having such a thin squad means these jokers know they can f*ck about and still get picked.

Nasris comments should be a motivation to win things.I've always been the sort of guy to react to comments like these by putting in 100% more in what I do to achieve the goals I want, in this case that would be winning medals in may and getting a SERIOUS kick out of seeing them not win anything in a hope to make them feel bad about their move and question themselves.

If he wanted to win things, would of pushed through a move to Man United. Instead he went to megabucks Man City.
Lol, do you actually believe what you're saying here?
TrustTalkin like city won't be challenging for the Prem/CL in years to come. Just look at the squad they've got for feck sake.Probably gonna sign another before the window closes aswell, Mancini pisses me off with his "we need more plaayerrs", you f*ck*ng c*nt

• 7 months later...