Hung Parliament

imhim

A hung parliament is one in which no party has an overall majority, which means no party has more than half of MPs in the House of Commons. It means that whichever party ends up in power will not be able to win votes to pass laws without the support of members of other parties. That support may come in the form of a formal coalition with smaller parties, or the governing party may have to negotiate with other parties to get laws passed.

In the simplest terms, to get an absolute majority, a party would have needed to win 326 seats. In reality, an effective majority could be smaller because the speaker and his deputies, although members of parliament, do not usually vote. Also, Sinn Fein has four MPs, who in the last parliament refused to take the oath of allegiance to the Queen and as a result were not entitled to vote. Nonetheless, the election results mean that no party can pass laws without support from other parties.

Do you know what this could do to our society?? I really hope, somehow it is not labour with conservative or the means of labour winning but has to ask permission from conservatives

working class people would never see the light of day

To be honest I would like a Tory-Lib Dem coalition. I would actually prefer a minority government but that would just be tricky when the budget comes around but a coalition isn't that bad. The Lib Dems won't back some of the bullshit that the Tories would force through if they had a majority.

I actually think this is the second best possible result from this election; the best being a Labour-Lib Dem coalition.

• Upvote 3

personally think lib dem would be mad to make a deal with a party that cant offer them the electoral reform they need. i really hope we get a referendum, system is not right in my opinion, lib dem got 23% of the vote and only won 57 seats and labour got 29% and won 258 seats.

one thing with a hung parliament is that its highly likely we will have another election sometime over the next couple of years,

Guest Daniel Levy

so basically there is no govt in the UK right now?

*plans on causing anarchy*

labour are still in charge until its sorted.

tories want to make immediate public cuts while the economy is still in recovery. lib dems have already shown us what a flaky unserious party they are, the fact that theyre even entertaining negotiations with tories... lol @ everyone that got sucked in by the hype on tv and voted for these clowns.

Browns done which ever way u look at it imo, he cant go on as our twice unelected prime minister. millibands time now. either as prime minister in a lib-lab pact or as leader of a labour opposition going into another election in the near future.

hope vince cable gets put on the team whatever happens.

personally think lib dem would be mad to make a deal with a party that cant offer them the electoral reform they need. i really hope we get a referendum, system is not right in my opinion, lib dem got 23% of the vote and only won 57 seats and labour got 29% and won 258 seats.

one thing with a hung parliament is that its highly likely we will have another election sometime over the next couple of years,

This is key to it all imo

Really dont see the tories agreeing to electoral reform because it will not benefit them in any way. They depend on the old stone age constitution in order to get into power but if it was ever an equal vote across the country they would never win

Lab-lib is the best and most likely outcome from this hung parliament though I can see clegg selling himself out and making a deal with the devil (cameron)

Browns done which ever way u look at it imo, he cant go on as our twice unelected prime minister. millibands time now. either as prime minister in a lib-lab pact or as leader of a labour opposition going into another election in the near future.

<_< why dnt people understand?

you dnt vote for a PM

you vote for your local MP

• Upvote 2

you dnt vote for a PM

dunno what in that quote makes u think i dont understand, its not my first election you know.

you dnt vote for a PM

dunno what in that quote makes u think i dont understand, its not my first election you know.

tbh

he has been elected into parliament and is labours leader

he is elected PM

constitutionally nothing wrong, i dnt understand why people complain

not saying u specifically, but a lot of man think this is US/ a presidential system

ignorance pisses me off

Nick Clegg and David Cameron coming to a deal, shows you the politics in this country is about saving face for the leader of the parties rather than the beliefs and policies of the actual political parties and its followers.

You dont leave Labour (left) to vote for the Liberals (more left) and end up with Conservatives (right). The policies are so so so different.

I just dont get what Clegg is thinking. If you think Gordon and Labour is done, just step aside and say f*ck all of you.

• Upvote 1

@ gaffer.

no, he inherited the labour party from blair, yes he has of course been elected as mp of his very safe labour seat. but he has never lead the party as pm through an election before and faced no opposition for leadership from within his party, his leadership mandate has become very weak imo.

yes u vote for ur mp, but i dont think anyone votes without choosing which government and pm they would prefer.

apparently brown and clegg were beefing on the phone

brown needs to send the horses head to this motherf*ckers bed

Clegg better not go on like them neeky guys who get a little power and it goes to their head and go on like they are rough

Clegg better not go on like them neeky guys who get a little power and it goes to their head and go on like they are rough

thats xacly how he is imo

hes a neek, lovin this right now

im hearin the news callin him the most powerful man in Britain, u kno hes feelin that

gets up in the mornin feelin too nice for even his wife

• Upvote 1