Official Ghana World Cup Thread

Captain Planet

Can Rajevac’s squad take Ghana to the second round?

May 8th, 2010 | by: Gary | comments.gifComments(2) domadi-300x229.jpg

With 34 days to go, Ghana’s provisional team is out. But do you like it?

Four local players, including three goalkeepers are part of Milovan Rajevac’s provisional squad for the 2010 World Cup. Before you answer the poll ahead, look at the list, think about well and give your answer.

Dominic Adiyiah (pictured) Ghana’s Golden Ball and Golden Shoe winner at last year’s Under 20 World Cup was given a call-up.

The Black Stars are housed in Group D and will open their campaign against Serbia on June 13, play Australia six days later before facing Germany on June 23. Even with the injury situation of key players like Michael Essien and John Mensah and the fact that Stephen Appiah has not played competitively for almost two years, they were added.

Many feel that a 70% fit Essien is way better than a fully fit Somebody Else, and that the inspirational qualities of John Mensah and Stephen Appiah should not be forgotten. However, many also believe that the World Cup does not forgive teams with half-crocked players and that Ghana should assemble its fittest 23.

So, here is the list. Look, and then, vote!

Goalkeepers: Richard Kingson, Daniel Agyei, Stephen Aholu, Stephen Adams

Defenders: John Paintsil, John Mensah, Samuel Inkoom, Hans Adu Sarpei, Rahim Ayew, Lee Addy, Isaac Vorsah, Jonathan Mensah, Eric Addo

Midfielders: Michael Essien, Kwadwo Asamoah, Emmanuel Agyemang-Badu, Anthony Annan, Sulley Muntari, Kevin-Prince Boateng, Quincy Owusu-Abeyie, Stephen Appiah, Andre Ayew, Laryea Kingston, Derek Boateng, Bernard Kumordzi, Haminu Draman

Attackers: Asamoah Gyan, Prince Tagoe, Dominic Adiyiah, Mathew Amoah

Apparently the squad named isnt legit

ESPN Blogs Ghana has intercepted a copy of an evaluation list sent to Ghana’s coach by German football magazine, kicker Sportmagazin. The list was part of an interview Milovan Rajevac granted to the magazine in Frankfurt on Monday, April 26. The full details of the interview would soon be published by the magazine in its World Cup Special Issue. This is the first time the coach has spoken about his possible team for the FIFA World Cup.

There are some surprising revelations in the list, such as the fact that locally-based King Faisal’s Latif Mohammed has a 50% chance of making it to South Africa. The same applies to David Addy of FC Porto.

Captain Stephen Appiah’s chances were dependent on his fitness. The coach was quoted as saying: “Ghana would be a little surprised at my final squad.” This may be so because after looking at the list, Rajevac revealed that on a monitoring mission of Eric Bekoe, he came across Cofie Bekoe, who also plays at Petrojet.

Rajevac said he was highly impressed with the 22-year old.

He also admitted having headaches about the inactiveness of his captain as well as the injury worries of Mensah and Essien, reportedly describing the situation as ‘catastrophic’.

The Serbian tactician gave Richard Kingson a 100% chance of being at the World Cup despite the goalkeeper’s consistent bench-warming status at Wigan. Hans Adu Sarpei was also given a surety of admission into the team.

Unsurprisingly, John Painstil, Samuel Inkoom and Isaac Vorsah were all given a 100% rating as were Anthony Annan and Andre Ayew.

Crucially, the Serbian penned “100% IF HE WILL BE OK” against the names of John Mensah and Michael Essien respectively, confirming how highly he regards two of Ghana’s most experienced players.

The midfield quartet of Sulley Muntari (Internazionale), Kwadwo Asamoah and Emmanuel Agyemang Badu (Udinese) were also penned as sure bets by the coach, just as Kevin Prince Boateng was given a 100% mark.

Haminu Dramani had 75% written beside his name with the explanation that: “He is not playing much with Lokomotiv.”

For the strikers, Eric Bekoe (Petrojet) was given a 50% assigned to his name while regulars Asamoah Gyan (Rennes) and Matthew Amoah (NAC Breda) were all given the all-clear.

Following rumours about their possible inclusion in the team, Nana Akwasi Asare (Utrecht) had a decisive “No!” written by his name while Ahmed Barusso (Torino) had “30% or less” by his.

The mention of Bernard Yao Kumordzi (Panionios) was said to have drawn a curious look from the coach, after which he scrawled 50% and said: “But I really like him.”

Moussa Narry (Le Mans) drew a quick 50%, followed by: “lack of discipline.”

Ghana coach Milovan Rajevac was scheduled to release his provisional 30-man squad list for South Africa on May 14 and then name the final list thirteen days later.

In attendance during the interview were the interviewer, Milovan Rajevac himself and an interpreter.

The Black Stars coach did not speak English.

It is important to note as well that Rajevac said the annotations he had made were valid for now and that anything could happen between now and when the final list is named.

List Summary

Goalkeepers:

Stephen Ahorlu (90% chance of making it), Richard Kingson (100%), Daniel Agyei (100%)

Defenders:

John Paintsil (100%), Isaac Vorsah(100%), Lee Addy (90%), Nana Akwasi Asare (0%), Samuel Inkoom (100%), Latif Mohammed (50%), John Mensah (100% fitness permitting), Hans Adu Sarpei (100%), David Addy(50%), Karim Alhassan(50%),

Midfielders:

Michael Essien(100%, fitness permitting), Kwadwo Asamoah(100%), Sulley Muntari (100%), Emmanuel Agyemang-Badu (100%), Kevin-Prince Boateng (100%), Derek Boateng (75%), Anthony Annan (100%), Bernard Kumordzi (50%), Moussa Narry(50%), Haminu Draman(75%), Andre Ayew(100%), Stephen Appiah (100%, fitness permitting)

Forwards:

Asamoah Gyan (100%), Eric Bekoe(50%), Matthew Amoah(100%), Prince Tagoe(100%), Quincy Owusu-Abeyie (50%), Ahmed Barusso (30%)

Coach’s addition to list:

Cofie Bekoe (Petrojet)

Following the publication of the story, Ghana’s coach has denied it. He says:

“This is absolutelty not true and the list should be disregarded. We need to finish monnitoring first before I travel to Accra to discuss plans with my bosses. We have several delicate balances to make and these are only discussed with my bosses and not a German newspaper. Please ignore that publication.”

More to follow.

Essien awaits injury news

Ghana international bidding to be fit before World Cup opener

Last updated: 19th May 2010

Essien: Fitness battle

Michael Essien will learn whether he is fit enough to feature in Ghana's World Cup campaign within days.

The Chelsea midfielder has been out of action since injuring his knee on international duty in the African Cup of Nations in January and has been struggling for fitness ever since.

Essien has remained at Chelsea's Cobham training ground carrying on his rehabilitation and the 27-year-old will know shortly whether he has a chance of playing in the South Africa finals.

"The plan right now is to have a detailed meeting with the Ghana FA and with Chelsea as well in the next few days," said the former Lyonperformer.

"We are organising that as we speak so everyone will be fully informed about the situation and the progress on a daily basis.

Fingers crossed

"We felt it was best to leave it until now so as not to disrupt Chelsea's league and cup plans and also it is the best time for the Ghana FA as the team will be getting ready to meet up now.

"I have to keep working hard to be fit. Once I am fit I hope to feature in at least one trial match before the World Cup starts.

"I haven't played since January so I will need games before the real thing starts. However even if I don't get any trial games, as long I am declared fit by the medical team then I will be in South Africa for sure.

"At the moment I am carrying on with my rehabilitation programme. Chelsea have allowed me to carry on until the end of May at Cobham and my fitness will be assessed by the experts as the days go by.

"I feel a lot better than I did a few weeks ago so I am keeping my fingers crossed that all will be well."

On Chelsea's historic success in the 2009-10 season Essien added: "It's a good feeling to be double champions and in actual fact we are treble winners because we won the Community Shield at the start of the season so it has been a very successful season."

Ghana

As we countdown to the start of the World Cup on June 11, Fox Soccer's Jamie Trecker will preview each of the 32 teams playing in South Africa and tell you everything you need to know about each nation represented at the world's greatest sporting event. Here he looks at Ghana.

Last updated: 27th May 2010

Essien: Star of the show

World Cup schedule

June 13: vs. Serbia (Pretoria)

June 19: vs. Australia (Rustenburg)

June 23: vs. Germany (Jo'burg)

Key players:

Michael Essien, Midfielder

Sulley Muntari, Midfielder

Best WC result: Round of 16 in 2006

FIFA World Rank: 32

Ghana, formerly a part of the British Empire, became the first sub-Saharan country to gain its independence, in 1957.

However, due to corruption and mismanagement, the country was plagued by a military coup and had its constitution suspended in 1981. A free election was finally held in 2000, and today Ghana is a constitutional democracy.

Despite ample natural resources - Ghana is the world's leading producer of cocoa - the country is heavily dependent on foreign subsidies. It is known for having a good education system, a solid peacekeeping military force and a relatively efficient civil service. But its residents are by any measure poor: the average yearly wage is about $380.

Ghana also has a large diaspora, which has brought its rich textiles and Afro-pop around the planet. In a rarity for West Africa, Ghana also has a free press. It's considered a model country by West African standards.

Ghana hosted the African Cup of Nations in 2008, when they finished third.

PAST WORLD CUP SUCCESS:

This is the only the second time the Black Stars have qualified for the World Cup. They enjoyed success in Germany, eliminating the USA and becoming the only African team to get out of the group stages. They were knocked out by Brazil, 3-0.

REGIONAL SUCCESS:

Lots. They are four-time winners of the African Cup of Nations (1963, 1965, 1978, 1982) and four-time runners up, most recently this past winter.

LEAGUE OVERVIEW:

The 16-team Premier League is one of the better ones in Africa, boasting such legendary sides as Accra's Hearts of Oak and Asante Kotoko, arguably the most celebrated African club of all time. You also have to love a league that at one time played host to clubs named Mysterious Dwarves, Eleven Wise (Western Show Boys) and Great Olympics.

MANAGER:

Milovan Rajevac. On the surface, the Serb is an odd choice for this team - he doesn't have a lot of national team experience, and the experience he does have is provincial. That said, he did lead Ghana to a second-place finish this January.

KEY PLAYERS:

Chelsea's Michael Essien could be the best midfielder in the tournament. Strong, thoughtful and quick, he can both create and defend with aplomb. John Mensah (Sunderland) and John Pantsil (Fulham) are the key defenders. Both are hard men, and both are solid. The two other key players are Stephen Appiah (Bologna) and Sulley Muntari (Inter). Appiah is the captain and defensive stalwart; he forms the spine of the team and feeds Essien. Muntari is the co-creator and he'll play off Essien in the centre of the field.

FIFA RANKINGS:

32nd. Highest ever was 14th (2008), lowest was 89th (2004)

FIRST ROUND OPPONENTS:

Germany, Australia and Serbia.

HOW THEY QUALIFIED:

With ease. They only lost one game, to Benin, 1-0 away, after running up four straight wins that had already assured them of qualification.