FAO Of Those With Younger Siblings?

Mame Biram Diouf

I've got a younger sister whose just turned 12, so I haven't really felt the need to be protective over her in that sense. Tbh, I can't even picture her coming to me with her problems when she's older so I'm gonna have to change that. I'm dreading the next 5 years though

I have a very close family and my cousins are like my siblings.As my Brother isnt here anymore, im now the eldest of 13.Younger boy cousin at 18, had to get him out of some unprovoked trouble before and would do it again. He towers me and can look after himself but theres just this feeling of protection, i cant sit and watch any person threaten my family.. my blood. Vise versa he would be the same. Two girls 16 & 17, ive had abit of hassle with the 17 year old and trying to keep her on track but it seems to be paying off now. The 16 year old looks up to me and will listen to anything i say and follow in my footsteps to a T. Its expected of me to look after my cousins as they look up to me, i have to set examples and give good advice.

I'm pressuring my mum to send one of my sisters to Ghana soon stil.In reality I'm at uni and even I know shes trying to act stupid, but I talk and talk, and give real life examples of waste girls and she don't listen, so meh.The other one is on point and I will strive to keep her on the srt8 & narrow, They're both 12 so there's a little time before the worst case scenarios can occur but for now I will hammer in foundations, I blame my Dad as per
things that bad that she should be sent away?!Why do u blame ur dad?
Not really but shes on course for failure/I just want her to go anywayTheir Dad isn't hands on, commands no fear or respect and thinks that spending cash on them is his parental role, he also believes that as long as they go to school 6 hours a day everything in life will be taught there.

I'm pressuring my mum to send one of my sisters to Ghana soon stil.In reality I'm at uni and even I know shes trying to act stupid, but I talk and talk, and give real life examples of waste girls and she don't listen, so meh.The other one is on point and I will strive to keep her on the srt8 & narrow, They're both 12 so there's a little time before the worst case scenarios can occur but for now I will hammer in foundations, I blame my Dad as per
Not really but shes on course for failure/I just want her to go anywayTheir Dad isn't hands on, commands no fear or respect and thinks that spending cash on them is his parental role, he also believes that as long as they go to school 6 hours a day everything in life will be taught there.
A lot of fathers are like that sadly. Its hard to tell a parent they need to fix up on their parenting skills. Anytime i mention anything to my mum about my sister she gets very defensive so ive stopped now.

Na b f*ck her feelings tbh if u talk to her once nice an nothing is done then u have to tell her so she hears u... I have a younger brother and sister and i've spoken to her a few times then few weeks down the line if there has been no improvement i will tell her about herself til the wrong is put right... End of the day i'd rather hurt her feelings and have her think i'm "outta harrdah" and its gets done rather than spare her feelings and let my youngers ho down a wrong path ya smell me

• Upvote 1

A lot of fathers are like that sadly. Its hard to tell a parent they need to fix up on their parenting skills. Anytime i mention anything to my mum about my sister she gets very defensive so ive stopped now.
Likewise, the second I say something he doesn't want to hear it, just now he got parred off by one of them when he told them to hurry up and go bed and if I made it known he got parred he'd just keep quiet and ignore me.

Argh, perfect example of my protectiveness over my brother, we have just had a row about him wanting to move out of home and get a flat with his mateI asked him a few questions about it to see what his plans were, and discovered he doesnt have a clue what he is doing. Him and his mate have completely unrealistic ideas about living alone and i just tried to explain to him why it wont work the way they have decided to go about things, and they havent thought it through well enough and he should really wait till he finishes college and he came back with a few smartass comments which were completely uncalled for so it turned into an argument.I know its his own life and he can do what he wants, but i don't see the point in him asking my advice if he is just going to get rude to me if he doesnt like what i have to say. As well as the fact that he is clueless about this sh*t he has chosen a completely selfish time to start trying to do this, theres been some major stuff happen in my family recently and he needs to be at home to make sure my nan is ok, i dont think he realises how f*ck*ng stupid he is being and im finding it very hard to bite my tongue and let him get on with it without interfering./Not sure if this should have been in the venting topic actually lol

True, he can always go back home if it doesn't work out, now that i've calmed down and the argument isnt fresh i've decided to leave him to it and stay out of his buisness unless he needs my help. I was his age when i moved out of home and my grandparents just let me get on with it, i guess i just find it hard to see past the fact he isn't a little boy anymore and he is turning into an adult.

All of us who are the older sibling will be like that during that transition faze, but u do just have to back off a lil bit but not too much to the point where he'd feel u dont care. Thing is thou if u smother them ur relationship can stay broken cos mommy cant force everyone to make up ya get me. Defo a delicate situation just play it by ear :D

Thanks for the advice :D Its definately difficult coz my brother doesn't have much family around him so he has always looked up to me and my nan and pretty much always did what we said, but he has really come out of himself since he started college and its happened so fast that its like hes a completely different person, up until then he was happy to stay in his room playing playstation all the time, now he goes out with his friends and does normal 17 year old stuff. Although i do think he is being silly with what he is trying to do, i think im worrying more than i should, like you say it doesnt have to be permanent. I know i'll end up trying to go round and clean for him and cook him decent food though :D i really do need to back up a bit!!!

Hopefully that will be the case, in a way im overreacting coz he is really sensible and hasn't got involved with any of the stupidity that teenagers sometimes get into, but to be honest he really isn't ready to live alone, he has only just started to act like a regular teenager and i think he is enjoying it so much he just wants that little bit of extra freedom, but at the end of the day he can't look after himself properly yet, he would end up living off super noodles and laying in bed till late afternoon every day, hes doing really well at college and i dont want him to start staying up all night with his mates and not being able to get up in the morning and f*ck*ng it up, plus loads of other factors but i wont go into it.Saying all that as much as i want him to do well its not really any of my buisness, i haven't mentioned it to him since we spoke about it that one time and i'm just going to wait until he decides to speak to me about it again and just bite my tongue if i dont agree with him, at the end of the day he will do what he wants despite what anyone says, but like prdx said as long as im there for him if it goes tits up then im doing the best i can

• Downvote 1