Milner to City?

Heero Yuy

Skysports.com understands Manchester City have tabled a big money offer for Aston Villa winger James Milner.

The England international enjoyed a sparkling 2009/10 campaign, considerably raising his profile.

Reports in January speculated that a number of top clubs were keeping tabs on the talented 24-year-old, with it widely believed that there is still more to come from him in the future.

City have now made the first move, with it believed that Roberto Mancini is willing to part with around £20million to take the reigning PFA Young Player of the Year to Eastlands.

It is easy to understand why the Blues are so keen on the former Leeds and Newcastle man, as he has just finished his most productive season to date.

A respectable return of 12 goals from midfield marks him out as a useful addition to any side, while his versatility can also prove priceless.

Busy summer

Milner is able to operate on either flank or at full-back, while he blossomed in the centre of midfield for Villa since being shifted inside by Martin O'Neill.

He has been included in Fabio Capello's preliminary squad for this summer's World Cup and is widely regarded as a shoo-in to make the final cut.

Villa have yet to respond to the offer on the table from City but will be reluctant to part with their key performers.

Unfortunately for O'Neill, there are plenty of other teams rumoured to be ready to make a move and he could be in for a busy summer.

Premier League champions Chelsea are also said to be keen on Milner and they could be tempted to chance their arm in an effort to prevent one of their rivals from strengthening their squad.

skysports.co.uk

could see this developing into a swap deal involving Ireland tbh

• Upvote 1

I've a feeling it'll happen, but on our terms.

Obviously I don't want him to go, but in a fantasy world Santa Cruz, Ireland one of Richards and Onuoha and then a few million might tempt us.

Spurs have managed to reinvest sales well, we need to be doing the same if Citeh are gonna be throwing silly money at us.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Great news all around really. Kills any links with United hopefully.

c/s

I've a feeling it'll happen, but on our terms.

Obviously I don't want him to go, but in a fantasy world Santa Cruz, Ireland one of Richards and Onuoha and then a few million might tempt us.

Spurs have managed to reinvest sales well, we need to be doing the same if Citeh are gonna be throwing silly money at us.

They will trade 3 players plus cash for Milner

:lol:

This aint like the Ashley rumours which we'd just laugh off, Milner is gettable I feel. MON would never let Ashley (or Gabby) go.

I'd be gutted if he did leave, best player by miles and seems a genuine nice bloke - but if he does go I'd expect us to improve from it due to the money he'd bring in.

Manchester City have made their first significant move in the summer transfer market by lodging a £20 million bid for James Milner, the England and Aston Villa midfielder.

Milner, who is currently training with the Fabio Capello's provisional World Cup squad in Austria, has become one of the most coveted players in the Barclay's Premier League after an excellent season for Martin O'Neill's side.

The 24-year-old can play in central midfield and full back but has figured most frequently on the right side of midfield. The bid casts further doubt over the Eastlands future of Shaun Wright-Phillips.

More to follow.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article7131259.ece

in a fantasy world Santa Cruz, Ireland one of Richards and Onuoha and then a few million might tempt us.

O'Neil should try and get as much as possible for him and include players

Ive watched Milner since he scored that goal against Chelsea, hes a good, solid, player with an engine, decent delivery and quality but nowhere near top class...

If he goes to a top side he will be alot, but I mean TOP side, coz Barry looks to have gone backwards at City and hes been baited as decent

Johnson from City looked better, I dnt know what hes like coz of the inj but Id take him

Ireland is miles ahead

Jenas is rumoured to be heading to Villa, hes better than Milner

Id be looking to add the likes of Richards / Onuoha / Santa Cruz / SWP (betta winger than Milner) / Ireland / Petrov / even Jo (whos betta than Heskey) or Weiss

Milner is flava of the month but to be fair to the lad, hes been consistently good for a numba of years now, Villa after the loan tried 2 sign him and he always impressed for the barcodes

• Downvote 1

Is this the same Jenas that has done nothing since he played for Forest. Not even at Newcastle.

He is shite and missed a open goal at Anfield when I was SITTING there. He is sh*t at everything apart from running up and down while being lanky.

lol

Why am I even bothering

"Done nothing at newcastle" young player of the year... I refuse to entertain this southern scouser

Aston Villa last night firmly rejected Manchester City's £20m offer for James Milner and reiterated their intention to hold talks with the England international over a new long-term contract after the World Cup finals. Randy Lerner, the Villa chairman, made it clear last week the Midlands club have no intention of selling Milner and that message was spelt out to City after their opening bid for the midfielder.

Milner enjoyed an exceptional season at Villa, which culminated in him winning the Professional Footballers' Association young player of the year award and catching the eye of a number of leading clubs, including Manchester United. The Guardian revealed last month that Manchester City were the frontrunners in the chase to sign Milner and their interest has now crystallised into a formal approach.

A Villa spokesman said last night: "We have received an offer from Manchester City and this has been firmly rejected. We plan to sit down with James Milner and his representative after the World Cup to agree a new, long-term deal and this remains our position."

City, however, are unlikely to be deterred. Brian Marwood, the club's football administrator, has long admired Milner's qualities. He worked closely with him during his previous employment as head of UK operations for Nike, which sponsors the 24-year-old, and, when putting together an extensive recruitment programme for City this summer, Marwood identified Milner as one of the club's main targets along with Fernando Torres.

Villa are expected to adopt a much more circumspect approach in the market, with Lerner talking about a "sell-to-buy" transfer policy, but the club would be extremely reluctant to cash in on Milner and see him follow Gareth Barry to Eastlands. Martin O'Neill regards Milner as instrumental to his future plans and Lerner has also spoken of the importance of retaining one of English football's brightest young talents. "We're going to do everything we can to keep him," said the Villa chairman only eight days ago.

City will be expected to test that resolve severely over the coming days and weeks. Everton were forced to cave in last year when English football's richest club relentlessly pursued Joleon Lescott, although City were helped on that occasion when the player eventually pushed for a transfer. There is no suggestion that Milner will do likewise at Villa, with sources close to the player saying he will leave the decision in the hands of his club despite the prospect of more than doubling his £45,000-a-week wages at City.

Milner is known to feel a debt of gratitude to O'Neill for the perseverance the Villa manager showed when he signed him from Newcastle United a little under two years ago for what many felt at the time was an inflated £12m fee. He also recognises the part O'Neill has played in his remarkable development over the last 12 months. The Villa manager's decision to move him from wide right to a more central role proving to be a masterstroke that has allowed him to blossom.

Milner has since gone on to become a regular in the England set-up and, barring injury, is certain to go to the World Cup finals as part of Fabio Capello's 23-man squad. Villa's plans have always been to discuss an improved deal with Milner to replace the two years he has remaining on his current contract when he returns from South Africa.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/may/19/james-milner-manchester-city-aston-villa