Departures - Summer 2010

TF S4DK

It was confirmed last night that Arsenal midfielder Fran Merida will leave the club to join Atletico Madrid when his contract expires at the end of next month having agreed a four year contract with the Spanish club. It was fairly unsurprising news, especially given that he has been persistently linked with Atletico since rumours circulated in January that he had signed a pre-contract agreement with them.As previously expressed, Merida’s decision to leave is perfectly understandable considering the lack of first-team game time that he received during his four years in North London. Prior to this season, he had made just eight appearances, six of them in the Carling Cup. Last summer, after impressing during the Emirates Cup against Rangers, he was promoted to the first-team squad and went on to double his overall appearance tally, featuring in all four competitions that the Gunners were involved in and finding the net spectacularly against Liverpool in the Carling Cup and Bolton Wanderers in the Premier League. However, Merida only made four substitute appearances in the latter competition and most of those were short cameos. With the likes of Samir Nasri and Aaron Ramsey, not to mention Cesc Fabregas, not too dissimilar in terms of age, it was difficult to see how Merida was ever going to become a regular.There will be several lasting memories of Merida. His stunning debut against Boreham Wood, his curling free-kick for the Reserves against Tottenham Hotspur, his superb skills against Bristol City in the FA Youth Cup, and that was all in his first season. The following campaign saw him make his first-team debut, against Newcastle United at Emirates Stadium in the Carling Cup and he then returned to his homeland for a loan spell with Real Sociedad. 2008/09 saw him promoted to the starting line-up in the Carling Cup but Merida became increasingly impatient at his lack of action.It was reported that Arsenal made a last ditch attempt to steer him from Atletico’s advances by offering him a new contract, which Merida refused. He will now link up with the Europa League champions in July and should be a regular in La Liga next term, where he is sure to fit in well. Arsene Wenger previously said Merida needs to improve physically and perhaps that was what was preventing him from making further appearances for Arsenal. Merida was linked with a loan move to QPR back in 2007 and one can’t help but think how much more beneficial that particular sojourn may have been in terms of developing his physical prowess than his stint at Sociedad. As it transpires, we will never know the answer to that particular conundrum but hopefully Arsenal’s inability to persuade Merida to stay doesn’t come back to haunt them.A superb player technically, Merida was one of several new first-year scholars in 2006 who the club had high hopes for. Of the intake of 12 that summer; James Dunne, Peggy Lokando, Abu Ogogo, Paul Rodgers and Rene Steer have all departed, Kieran Gibbs and Wojciech Szczesny are part of the first-team squad, Gavin Hoyte and Mark Randall have returned from loan spells in League One but their future at the club remains unclear, whilst Nacer Barazite, who along with Merida was tipped for big things in the future, has suffered badly from injuries in recent seasons.As for Merida, his departure will have little effect on the capacity of the first-team squad at the moment. In the future he could prove to be one that got away but, for the short term at least, let’s hope that he’s the only Spanish midfielder to depart the club for his homeland this summer.

Like the next captain won't be van Persie or Clichy.As long as Campbell has actually been offered a deal, I cant see the delay... Should just be a one year extension to the contract he signed in january, no pay rise, no pay cut.
Maybe it'll make him tighten up and CONCENTRATE. I'd rather him than Van The Man.

Stories floating around about B52 saying he wants to head to Spain.Can someone confirm?
Supposedly a danish interview has come out where he has stated that he wants to move to real or barca eventuallyhttp://thegoonblog.com/2010/05/bendtner-dreams-of-joining-barca-or-madrid-still-has-groin-injury/also shout ours to RVP's 2 goals

Merida.jpgAtlético Madrid presented Fran Mérida to a large gathering of fans and media at their Vicente Calderón Stadium this afternoon. The 20-year-old completed the second part of a medical and then signed a four year contract. He will become a Madrid player on July 1st, when his Arsenal deal expires.The midfielder was then presented with his new shirt, in which he will wear his full name on the back, before attending a press conference. He was quizzed first on his departure from the Gunners.“There are circumstances in life. I was very comfortable at Arsenal, but when I knew of the interest from Atlético then I did not hesitate. I talked to my agent and I told him of my desire to accept the offer. Wenger has always looked after me and my family since I arrived in London. I have a very good relationship with him. I am and I will be eternally grateful. Obviously he was very displeased with my departure, but he wished me luck and behaved like a gentleman.”Mérida leaves behind the famous Enfield flat, which has been lived in by a selection of Arsenal Academy products. The notable recent occupants include Cesc Fàbregas and Philippe Senderos. Fran confirmed that Madrid was his dream club while also indicating he will get playing time in his preferred position of behind the strikers.A UEFA tribunal is set to decide how much compensation changes hands, as although the player is out of contract, he is under 23.

• 2 weeks later...
Arsenal Football Club can confirm that Swiss International, Philippe Senderos has joined Fulham FC.The 25-year-old defender makes the move across London from Arsenal where he spent seven seasons after joining the Gunners from Swiss side Servette in June 2003.The defender made 117 appearances for the Gunners. Everyone at Arsenal Football Club wishes him good luck at his new club.
gun__1263566477_senderos15012010.jpg
Fulham Football Club is delighted to announce its first signing of the summer after agreeing a 3-year deal for Swiss International, Philippe Senderos.The 25-year-old defender spent seven seasons at Arsenal after joining the Gunners from Swiss side Servette in June 2003.Born in Geneva, Senderos has been a regular for his national team since his debut in a draw against France in Paris in 2005. He was part of the Swiss defence that did not concede a goal at the 2006 World Cup and he also played in every minute of Switzerland’s 2008 European Championship.He helped Switzerland reach this summer’s World Cup with an inspiring qualifying campaign which saw him net a brace against Luxembourg last October and he has already amassed 38 appearances for his country.He has also added Italian football experience to his impressive CV, having spent the 2008-09 season with AC Milan.Speaking at Fulham Football Club’s training ground this afternoon, Philippe Senderos said:‘I’m delighted to have finalised my transfer to Fulham earlier today and happy that I am joining the Club during the most successful period in its history."I will be looking forward to meeting up with my new teammates and of course, Roy Hodgson, a Manager I respect very much, shortly after the World Cup."I very much hope that I can contribute over the next few seasons and that the Club goes on to achieve more success."Roy Hodgson added:“Philippe is a player that I have admired for a very long time since he captained Switzerland to the UEFA Under-17 Championship in 2002."He is a strong defender who has great aerial presence at both ends of the field and has a superb work ethic which is a vital component for any team’s success. I am very much looking forward to working with Philippe next season.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Martin Keown has given his insight into the decline of Philippe Senderos' Arsenal career.The Swiss centre-back first broke into the Arsenal team as a youngster, and initially impressed Arsène Wenger with a string of solid performances in the 04/05 season.The defender, who departed the Emirates for Fulham this summer, was also ever-present in Arsenal's 2006 run to the Champions League final, but despite a strong start to his career, found himself way down the pecking order by last season.Keown was rumoured to have had a training ground bust-up with the Swiss, but the Arsenal legend has since denied any personal problems with Senderos.He has, however, revealed how the defender went surprisingly quickly from over-confident to having no confidence at all.He explained: "To be honest, I don't really remember a problem with Philippe. I think that, at the start, he was a young man who gave the impression that he knew everything: he's super intelligent and can speak six languages. But football intelligence is something different and I think he'd gone the other way by the end and he wasn't confident enough."There were times when he was playing very well but was critical of his own performance when he didn't need to be. So he got a bit too finicky and went from one extreme to the other: he felt he could do nothing wrong at the beginning but, at the end, he thought he was making mistakes when he really wasn't."He did have problems in his game and it didn't come off for him at Arsenal but I certainly never experienced a problem with him. I would have dealt with it had I seen that."
Philippe Senderos has been stunned by Roy Hodgson's decision to quit Fulham for Liverpool.Former Arsenal defender Senderos arrived on a free transfer and has been looking forward to proving he is still worthy of the Premier League. But Hodgson's move to Liverpool came as a huge blow to the Swiss international as he bids to resurrect his career.Senderos said: "Hodgson was decisive in my move. It was a clear decision in the end because he convinced me to come to Fulham."I have spoken to him and he is obviously now with Liverpool. I did not know that was going to happen. I was concentrating with Switzerland preparing for the World Cup and I saw in newspapers that people were talking about him leaving, but it was still a surprise."Of course, it is difficult to reject the call of Liverpool and that is why Roy has accepted the challenge."Now I have to focus on my challenge with Fulham. I am returning to London and aim to do big things."
Swear I read that Senderos was informed prior to signing that Hodgson was likely to leave.

• 2 weeks later...

Gunnerblog just said on Twitter that Eduardo looks like he's joining Shaktar Donetsk for 7mEdit:

Reports this afternoon suggest that Eduardo is in Ukraine and is on the verge of signing for Shakhtar Donetsk for around €7 million.A fee has been agreed and so have personal terms, I’ve heard his wages will be somewhere in the region of three million Euros per year. Captain Dario Srna recommended Eduardo to the Donetsk hierarchy and it seems they have approached Arsenal and the club were willing to do business.It all makes sense, Its understood that he was pulled out of yesterdays squad for the Barnet game at late notice. Strangely enough it comes soon after the boss claimed that he was in his plans for the upcoming season and also begs a few questions about arrivals… will Joe Cole now come in? Are we in the market for another striker? … or does it give Carlos Vela one last chance?In hindsight it has looked inevitable since January, where appearances in the team became more and more scarce – to the point where he wasn’t even named in match-day squads at the end of the season, its a sad disappointing way for such a talented player to leave.A Croatian newspaper has reported it in his adopted country and News of the World journalist Dan King has also claimed that ‘his man in the Balkans’ has confirmed that he will sign for the club very soon.Keep an eye on Gunnerblog (who is seeking confirmation) and the news feeds over the next few hours.If true, It’s a sad way for him to go, sneaking out the exit door with barely a whimper after a few injury ravaged seasons. He is a player who at his best is lethal, we saw that in the Emirates Cup last season when he took that goal brilliantly against Rangers, I thought he was back.More when its available…
http://thegoonblog.com/2010/07/eduardo-off-to-shakhtar-donetsk/

55997__max_news.jpg
Today on 21 July FC Shakhtar have signed a Brazilian-born Croatian forward Eduardo Da Silva from Arsenal London on a 4-year contract being anticipated by all the international media.All the details were agreed tonight at Donbas Arena in Donetsk.Within the nearest time the newcomer will be introduced to Ukrainian media representatives as well as to the Pitmen fans.55990__max_gal.jpgProfileEduardo Da Silva was born on 25th February 1983 in Rio de Janeiro. He initially started his football career in Brazil, when later on moved to Croatia as a resident. Eduardo has been appearing for Dinamo Zagreb and Inter Zaprešić.Following his return to Dinamo Zagreb, Eduardo became a regular in their starting line-up and was recognized as the best striker of the Croatian League. He managed to achieve two trophies in Croatian Championship and two in Croatian Cup, as well as secured the Club’s third champions’ crown in Super Cup. He was awarded as the Best Croatian Player twice.Eduardo made Arsenal London move in July 2007.
http://shakhtar.com/en/news/13787