Life on Saturn moon?

Steven

Scientists have found evidence that there is life on Saturn's biggest moon, Titan.

They have discovered clues that primitive aliens are breathing in Titan's atmosphere and feeding on fuel at the surface.

The startling discoveries, made using an orbiting spacecraft, are revealed in two separate reports.

article-0-05FA9640000005DC-193_468x447.jpg

Data from Nasa's Cassini probe has analysed the complex chemistry on the surface of Titan - the only moon known to have a dense atmosphere.

Its surface is covered with mountains, lakes and rivers which has led astronomers to call it the most Earthlike world in the solar system.

Organic chemicals had already been detected on the 3,200-mile wide planet. But the liquid on Titan is not water but methane and the scientists expect life there to be methane-based.

The first paper, in the journal Icarus, shows that hydrogen gas flowing down through Titan's atmosphere disappears at the surface, suggesting it could be being breathed by alien bugs.

The second paper, in the Journal of Geophysical Research, reports there is a lack of a certain chemical on the surface, leading scientists to believe it may be being consumed by life.

article-1204786-00A259261000044C-425_468x369.jpg

Scientists had expected sunlight interacting with chemicals in the atmosphere to produce acetylene that falls down to coat Titan's surface. But Cassini detected no acetylene there.

Experts warn that there could be other explanations for the results.

But taken together, they fulfil two important conditions necessary for methane-based life to exist.

Nasa astrobiologist Chris McKay said: 'If these signs do turn out to be a sign of life, it would be doubly exciting because it would represent a second form of life independent from water-based life on Earth.'

Scientists believe that when the Sun swells up, swallowing Earth, conditions could be ideal on a warmer Titan.

Professor John Zarnecki, of the Open University, said: 'We believe the chemistry is there for life to form. It just needs heat and warmth to kick-start the process.

'In four billion years' time, when the Sun swells into a red giant, it could be paradise on Titan.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1284013/Do-aliens-live-Saturn-moon.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

it could be possible, but the lack of heat makes it doubtful, from the structure of life we know of anyways. more likely a different explanation

titans always been one of the most intereseting places in the solar system after the earth. its got its own active geology and to pass through the orange mist and see the mountains and rivers of methane below really would be cool. would be a great way to get fuel for a return journy, simply take a few buckets of methane from the river and jump back in your rocket. :lol:

waffles

ok-so even if there is life there what now? no one will want to make the first move so it is pointless and they're just been farse

this will not end well

LOL its not intelligent life and even if it was more than a microbe it wouldnt even be able to acknowledge us if it saw us.

i dont think you really get it....

if they found life, on another body in the SAME solar system, under drastically different conditions...

it makes life extreeemly more commonplace and puts it into perspective about the rest of the universe. it also helps us understand better our place in the universe; whether us and all the plants and animals on this planet are a massive stroke of luck, or if we are one in a billion.

Guest Triple XXX

there must be some next solar system thats liek us in the universe or even galaxy

swear theres billions out there jus imagine the possibilities

• Upvote 1

lol at all the negs

obviously science and technology is a good thing to a degree and we all use it on a daily basis but they are taking things too far imo. They have artificially created living cells, they tried to recreate the "big bang" in recent years, AI will eventually become self aware, cloning, etc. This new discovering life thing aswel as alot of things they're doin is tampering with sh*t they shouldn't be

But they will keep doin what they're doing regardless but sooner or later I can see their experimenting causing problems they wont be able to control

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

lol at all the negs

obviously science and technology is a good thing to a degree and we all use it on a daily basis but they are taking things too far imo. They have artificially created living cells, they tried to recreate the "big bang" in recent years, AI will eventually become self aware, cloning, etc. This new discovering life thing aswel as alot of things they're doin is tampering with sh*t they shouldn't be

But they will keep doin what they're doing regardless but sooner or later I can see their experimenting causing problems they wont be able to control

What is the point in the Human race, if it isnt to explore and experiment.

So u think we should just stop everything and settle with the world and universe as it is now. Come like some next Karl Pilkington.

By creating living cells, Imagaine the possibilities from that, is it possible they could make that new organism breathe in carbon dioxide and breathe out oxygen? The possibilities from it COULD be endless.

• Upvote 1

''This new discovering life thing aswel as alot of things they're doin is tampering with sh*t they shouldn't be''

:/

enemy of progress, fear breeds irrationality, get your knowledge up kid and stay away from those sci-fi movies.

/

this is sick, i was hoping they'd make a discovery of this sort within my lifetime so i'd get to see how it pans out. imagine what else is out there, even if it's non-sentient lifeforms it's still an insight into the rest of potential out there

it's only a matter of time now

*teleports*

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Cassini probe>>>>>>>>>>____

Interesting papers, I read them earlier this week. I've always thought since the discovery of an atmosphere (although densed) on Titan with the planet having the right elements to support life, it was only a matter of time before some confirmation would emerge about it.

ahh i would love to drop a match in that

:lol:

Pos!

Listen, what are the Saturn bitches saying.

Looking to get my inter-planetary bitch count up, a la Captain James T. Kirk.

:/

:lol:

Smh

Neg