Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TF S4DK

Wenger - World Cup can affect start of season

23 posts in this topic

Arsène Wenger believes the World Cup could prevent players from starting their domestic season on time. The Arsenal manager is concerned by the late start of this summer's tournament which ends in Johannesburg on Sunday, July 11, less than five weeks before the 2010/11 Premier League campaign gets underway.Wenger allows his international stars to recuperate before they rejoin the Club for pre-season training and that is likely to be the case this year too - but it could come at a cost for Arsenal."Nowadays we have to stop for four weeks before the World Cup starts," Wenger told the Official Arsenal Magazine. "That means that it starts later, and they come back later. For example the Final is on July 11, and we start our championship one month later. "Is there any chance that a player could play in the World Cup Final and then start the domestic season on time? I say no. And even if he does, he will pay for it later in the season."There is such pressure on these players, after playing a long season for the club to go again and perform again for your country. That takes a lot out of you so you need rest afterwards. "It's impossible for them to come back so soon and be fully up for the challenge again. For me I count out the players for four weeks after the World Cup. "A player who plays in the Final would not then be ready for the start of next season because of course he has to go through pre-season as well. If we had been in the Champions League play-off then we would have had to play them, because your season can depend on those games. Ideally though you like to give them three or four weeks holiday."Don't forget they get no time off before the tournament, they will be with the national teams, and England are also affected by not having a break in winter. That means as soon as you start, it's non-stop all the way through."

Basically he's saying a France - Holland final.Our Sene'>>>>>>

excuses already, Mr. Wenger?

Making excuses already smh:/Go get more squad depth then you c*nt

yeah c/shes getting hes excuses in earlyjust stfu and win us some trophies ffs

Dont see other people moaning smhGuy is fully of excuses, not saying he's wrong though.

When asked a question on "How do you think the World Cup will affect your players?" you give an answerNote: That's not what was exactly answered, just saying what may have been.Just stating what everyone has to deal with.

f*ck off Wenger.

Just went through Pos after Pos.

:rolleyes:This guy.

Our World Cup XIN/AEboue Sagna Gallas ClichySong Fabregas DiabyBendtner van Persie Vela

exactly we got a keeper who is not even 4th choice for their respective country

Our World Cup XIN/AEboue Sagna Gallas ClichySong Fabregas DiabyBendtner van Persie Vela
When you say World Cup, THEN look at those players, no wonder we ain't won sh*t. And yes, I realise what players never made it.

I hear you and did think that, butthen thought well it wouldnt suprise me still if we ended up with a World Cup winner...So its more important questioning for example if Brazil win the World Cup and why we have two Brazilians (Denilson & Eduardo) in our squad and they was nowhere near going.

Cant really mention Eduardo though

Yes we know. But he's Brazilian, is the point TF was making, and easily could have opted to play for them.

IMO Eduardo is good enough to play up front for most teams.Hope he proves this next season, otherwise season after next I see him getting shipped out.

I see Ferguson saying the same thing now to about the World Cup & start of season.Fabregas & van Persie will miss the Emirates Cup as they dont report to training until the 2nd August.