Wenger - World Cup can affect start of season

TF S4DK

Arsène Wenger believes the World Cup could prevent players from starting their domestic season on time. The Arsenal manager is concerned by the late start of this summer's tournament which ends in Johannesburg on Sunday, July 11, less than five weeks before the 2010/11 Premier League campaign gets underway.Wenger allows his international stars to recuperate before they rejoin the Club for pre-season training and that is likely to be the case this year too - but it could come at a cost for Arsenal."Nowadays we have to stop for four weeks before the World Cup starts," Wenger told the Official Arsenal Magazine. "That means that it starts later, and they come back later. For example the Final is on July 11, and we start our championship one month later. "Is there any chance that a player could play in the World Cup Final and then start the domestic season on time? I say no. And even if he does, he will pay for it later in the season."There is such pressure on these players, after playing a long season for the club to go again and perform again for your country. That takes a lot out of you so you need rest afterwards. "It's impossible for them to come back so soon and be fully up for the challenge again. For me I count out the players for four weeks after the World Cup. "A player who plays in the Final would not then be ready for the start of next season because of course he has to go through pre-season as well. If we had been in the Champions League play-off then we would have had to play them, because your season can depend on those games. Ideally though you like to give them three or four weeks holiday."Don't forget they get no time off before the tournament, they will be with the national teams, and England are also affected by not having a break in winter. That means as soon as you start, it's non-stop all the way through."

I hear you and did think that, butthen thought well it wouldnt suprise me still if we ended up with a World Cup winner...So its more important questioning for example if Brazil win the World Cup and why we have two Brazilians (Denilson & Eduardo) in our squad and they was nowhere near going.

• 1 month later...