John Terry - "Shit i forgot we're not french"

Admin.

John Terry was asked by assistant boss Franco Baldini to face the media yesterday and give the rallying call for the big showdown against Slovenia on Wednesday.

Baldini thought the old bulldog was just the man for the job with England under-fire following the dreadful performance and goalless draw with Algeria.

JT went for it with gusto - but not everything went down well back at the Royal Bafokeng training base.

In fact, Terry was in serious hot water after revealing certain players held an impromptu get-together on Friday night and raised issues they were going to put to Capello at last night's team meeting.

Former Three Lions skipper Terry explained how he told Baldini the squad wanted to chill out and have a beer after the match and that around 10 of them discussed the team's problems while Capello and his coaches chatted at a nearby table.

It was not quite mutiny but it sounded like the squad were starting to turn on the manager.

Parallels were drawn with Italia 90 when senior stars such as Chris Waddle, John Barnes, Peter Shilton, Bryan Robson and Gary Lineker met up to thrash out the team's problems.

They pushed for a tactical change to a 3-5-2 formation which was put to manager Bobby Robson and England went on to the semi-finals with the media arguing player-power had won the day.

In an amazingly frank interview Terry told how he called for the players to be allowed a drink, refuted Capello's claim they were playing with fear and hinted he wanted Joe Cole in the team.

Terry said: "I don't want to say it was me but I went to see Franco after the game and said 'Look, let everyone have a beer and speak to the manager. Flippin' hell, let's just switch off'.

"For the first time since the manager has taken over we sat there and he let us have a beer.

"Usually everyone goes straight back to their room and stays there until breakfast.

"It was good to get things off our chest and express how we felt.

"The discussions between the players will stay private but it was really nice to unwind.

"There was me, Lamps, Wazza, Aaron Lennon, Jamo, Crouchy, Jonno, Jamie Carragher, Stevie, and probably a couple more.

"After games back at Chelsea you go into the players bar and you talk about the game and whether things have gone well or whatever.

"When things don't go too well it is important the lads stay together and the group stays together. That is what we had the other night."

Then Terry added: "I will probably get in trouble now."

JT kept going though and talked of how the players were planning to make their views known in yesterday's team meeting.

He said: "It's not good if it happens every day because that would p*** people off. It's certainly worked in the past at Chelsea.

"We have a responsibility to ourselves, the manager and everyone else to voice that opinion and hope he takes it on board although it's the manager who has the final decision.

"The players can say how they feel and if it upsets him then I'm on the verge of just saying: 'You know what? So what? I'm here to win it for England'. He's feeling the same, the players are feeling the same and if we can't be honest with each other then there's no point being here.

"You can't hold grudges. When I say something, I'm doing it for my country.

"We've worked on a few things, formations, system. Whether the manager changes it to go with five in midfield, and Wayne up front on his own, I don't know. But hopefully that tension will go."

Terry rejected Capello's argument the team are playing with fear and added: "We can accept people saying we played badly but we don't accept things like that.

"I can see why people say it because at times we don't play as flowingly as we do at a club.

"Against Algeria, there was no tackling, no one winning headers, no one winning second balls.

"It is difficult here to go through someone without getting a sending off but, at the same time, you can still win a tackle and show a bit of aggression and a bit of fight.

"I think that's lacking but I can assure you that is going to be there on Wednesday."

Terry believes Joe Cole would add value to the side and slammed Chelsea for releasing the midfielder.

He said: "I think Joe and Wayne Rooney are the only two in the side who can really open up things.

"Joe has shown great form for Chelsea. It still amazes me how the club have let Joe go."

Doubtless that will not go down too well with Chelsea either. Quite a performance.

Tried to do a Ribery but no one was backing him............

Don't understand anyone who thinks what Terry did was right.

Too much blame the foreigner sh*t.

Thats all i herd from everyone who was in the pub when they drew with algeria.

"He not english he doesn't understand how the english game is played etc etc "

taking terry was capellos first mistake

guys a bad egg

he will force others to play badly by threatening to sleep with there wags

to prove that england only win with him as captain

setting up this mutiny in hopes that capello takes the fall and pearce ono reinstates terry as the leader

we are watching a group of highly paid children play out a lord of the flies scenario at the sacrifice of the nations reputation and expectations

these men are representing our country yet they are complaining not about losing and playing like muppets, but about not being allowed to drink much beer what the f*ck*ng hell

hiring capello was englands first mistake

you cant take international football for club football if you are a team like england with no skillset

because wen you are dealing with highly paid men of no honour or character they will scapegoat the foreigner at the first hurdle

they simply require an avuncular churchillian figure who will give them a beaches at dunkirk speeches and kick any1 who doesnt bleed off the roster

these men see club football as theyre only priority and this is just an experimental hobby they have been cajoled into,that is a backwards scenario

why is terry talking so much about wat we do at chelsea,how much beer were allowed at chelsea

this isnt chelsea you worm prick

• Upvote 4

England squad needs to start again after this WC tbh.

Can't have players like, Crouch, Heskey, SWP, Carragher, Upson, even Rio now pushing so closely for places in your team anymore.

Milner, Carrick, Johnson (sadly the RB aswell), Cole, Young etc.

Are the future tbh...

I had this argument with my boy @ uni, sometimes the best players do not give you the best team...

Capello had this right to an extent but still allow Heskey being a tactical deployment and Gerrard on the left.

Embrace the skillfull players and play a f*ck*ng 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 like the rest of the world.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

TBH in the group games England should have been able to play 4-4-2 and win convincingly. Against the likes of USA, Algeria and Slovenia, we shouldn't really even be talking about ball retention and formations tbh. There is FOUR 100g a week ballers in that team FFS.

They have just been poor/got gifted a unbelievable start against USA after 4 minutes and then took a kick in the teeth and have been feeling sorry for themselves ever since. I fully expect England to win against Slovenia regardles of if they play 4-4-2/4-5-1, if Joe Cole starts, if Capello picks Crouch instead of Heskey, whatever... They will win.

Capello IMO has only made three clear mistakes and thats not using Joe Cole, picking SWP over Walcott and Upson over Dawson, the latter he still hasn't learnt from as he is starting Upson tomorrow, smh. Oh and maybe deciding that Milner was a guaranteed starter, clearly before a World Cup ball was kicked and not swapping Crouch for Heskey earlier in games against these lesser teams, where Crouch has made his stats bagging goals against.

I think Capello has created tension in the group too. There is nothing wrong with having authority, and even keeping players guessing by naming your team 2 hours before, but it would seem in the qualifications the players had a idea on most things, ever since the 30, some of core players must be thinking, I have no idea how this nigga is thinking. From the Carragher and potentially Scholes inclusions, to Walcott axe, to not knowing whatsoever the order of the 3 keepers, Crouch seemingly ahead of Heskey...

Yeah we all know they will beat Slovenia

But when it comes to the title contenders ball retention will become a key issue, you think England won't get punished by a team like Chilie for not keeping the ball.

But they are not playing Chile yet.

Capello says Barry is the first name on his team-sheet, you would have to assume that is to do with retaining the ball and balancing the team. Capello will argue that people dont realise how much Barry's injury kinda messed up his plans. Against the better teams, I'm sure it was always Capello's plan for England to go 4-5-1. Like I said before the World Cup and Barry's injury, I think Milner was already in Capello's first choice team, which was a 4-5-1. With the only questionables being the right wing and goalkeeper.