Xabi - "Youd rate man if he was called Pablo"

Admin.

Xabi Alonso believes that Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick could be a key figure behind Fabio Capello's rebuilding process with the England team.

Alonso spent five years plying his trade in the Premier League with Liverpool, winning the UEFA Champions League and FA Cup, before securing a lucrative move to La Liga giants Real Madrid last August.

The 28-year-old admits that he cannot quite put his finger on why England so dismally failed to make any impact at the World Cup in South Africa after the Three Lions were humbled 4-1 by Germany in the second round.

But he believes that Carrick could be the answer to getting the best of out his former team-mate, Steven Gerrard.

He told The Sunday Times: "Gerrard is a great player. He inspires and leads, he is very strong and is capable of making players around him raise their game, but he also needs players alongside to bring the best out of him.

"England missed a player like Carrick in the midfield, somebody who knows how to be in the right place at the right time.

"Gerrard gains a lot from having a player like Carrick as a partner, somebody who provides the back-up he needs to be free and bring his power to bear decisively in a game."

Carrick has continued to be overlooked by national coach Fabio Capello. The 28-year-old's last start came in the 3-1 warm-up friendly win against Mexico, but he failed to make an appearance in South Africa.

Emphasis

Alonso believes that there needs to be a change in emphasis regarding the national team, intimating that Capello needs to concentrate more on gelling a 'blend of styles together' in the England team.

"For me, it is important to have players who complement one another. Sometimes the 11 best do not make the best 11," he said.

"The way I understand the game, you also need someone who delivers simple, short passes, even if they seem innocuous at the time. For me that is the sort of player that's been missing from the side.

"The profile of the English player is very direct. Direct football is great but you have to know how to combine that with an understanding of the need to associate with other players, with knowing how to pass and pass and keep the ball, how to change the rhythm of a game as circumstances demand."

sending for gareth "wait for me rafa....actually f*ck it" Barry

Carrick wasnt great last season but swear certain heads were calling for him to be sold (Bane) :/ And he played games at CB when we were f*cked with injuries.

tbh Xabi Alonso is the perfect example, he had one bad season (thats all carrick has had) and certain liverpool fans (no names need to be mentioned) were calling for him to be sold.

Came back in, was their best player and left for a better team. LOL @ getting rid of carrick when we won 3 leagues in the first three seasons since he joined us.

Carrick is crap and till the World Cup Barry had been one of England's better performers for the last 2 years. Just 'cos he aint fashionable people are tryna use him as the one to drop out to freshen things up.

It's not bias, I don't like the fat c*nt, but he's a solid player. The England midfield didn't have the legs in them this tournie, equally at fault were Lampard and Gerrard. Carrick wouldn't have sorted that.

But I still have no idea why he didn't take Oezil out, I think that represents everything thats wrong with the camp. He didn't want to be the one to be sent off I guess. Which just shows that they're scared.

• Downvote 5

Carrick is crap

lol

tbh the english dnt appreciate a cultured, controlled passer.. hence why Carrick has neva been a main starter for England

The media always say Carrick needs 2 "impose" himself on games more, which is total nonsense, he keps the game ticking and finds the right passes, the lad is quality, ask Wenger, Fergie or 'Arry

• Upvote 3

Trust them Englishmen Sven and Capello didn't rate him either...

Don't disagree Carrick is the type of player we lack. But he's not good enough. Extremely inconsistant and hasn't looked anywhere near his best form for circa 18 months.

Huddlestone is better at that role.

lies why are people saying this 18 months crap

heard it too much here and everywhere else

he was instrumental in our title run in when we last won it.... easily our best player

he had ONE BAD GAME against barca in the CL final playing alongside an injured anderson in fergies inept tactics after that people made this hes in bad form inconsistent bandwagon

his confidence is low after being played at center back...receiving criticism and missing a penalty.....

plus this whole fletcher is key to our central midfield has held him back...... was still a 7/10 season last season and that was his worst in the prem since being relegated with west ham

Barry is just a poor left footed Gerrard

• Downvote 1

Well I remember his vital goal at Wigan...

But I also remember his performance against us in the game that Macheda won. And him in the game against Spurs when they were 2 (or 3?) up at half time then Rooney went to the left and scored a couple (and stared the Rooney from the left hype). And in the 4-1 defeat to Liverpool.

Not even gonna say the European Cup final cos he was unfairly made a scape goat for that cos everyone was backing Giggs and Xavi and Iniesta are something else.

4 games where he was shocking. 3 of them standout. It sticks in the mind. Especially our game as it was all 'Carrick gonna boss Barry' and the complete opposite happened.