Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spiderman

FAO: Computer Heads

13 posts in this topic

i would put this in the e-den but it will get a better response here. mods can move it later if they want but let it be here for a bit...

anyways, im looking to cop a new external hard drive. dont mind paying up to £100 or so because i know its a worthy investment.

what hard drives do people reccommend? what is the best hard drive i can get for my money, in terms of size and preformance/reliability?

Want one that plugs into mains,

Or USB powered

Y u want external ?

/

Seagate or Western Digital are the best

if you want something portable, you might like a wd my passport

wd-passport-elite-320gb.jpg

i got one, its quick and portable as f*ck. its literally the size of your passport but like an inch thick. not expensive either.

got an iomega, 250GB cheap and effective.

Seagate or are the best

This, you can get a decent size hard drive for £100.

/

Western Digital will f*ck up.

Or USB powered

not too fussed.

i got an older WD which ive had for a few years and its served me fine (300GB).

im looking at getting something much bigger this time though. im looking at some 2TB hard drives at the moment. i want something in that region.

Or USB powered

this is the first thing to decide

usb powered: pros - portability (no power source needed and physically smaller). cons - more expensive / lower capacity than mains-connected

example - http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/wd-my-passport-essential-portable-hard-drive-500gb-03701253-pdt.html?srcid=867&xtor=AL-50

500gb - £60

mains: pros - capacity - these things are beasts. terabytes and sh*t (1000 gig). cons - larger and power supply needed

example - http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/wd-elements-external-hard-drive-1tb-03661634-pdt.html?srcid=867&xtor=AL-50

1 TB - £60 approx too. double the capacity for the same price

disclaimer - im no expert my words are a brief overview not a firm recommendation but i can vouch for the usb powered one being DECENT coz i have one

Or USB powered

this is the first thing to decide

usb powered: pros - portability (no power source needed and physically smaller). cons - more expensive / lower capacity than mains-connected

example - http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/wd-my-passport-essential-portable-hard-drive-500gb-03701253-pdt.html?srcid=867&xtor=AL-50

500gb - £60

mains: pros - capacity - these things are beasts. terabytes and sh*t (1000 gig). cons - larger and power supply needed

example - http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/wd-elements-external-hard-drive-1tb-03661634-pdt.html?srcid=867&xtor=AL-50

1 TB - £60 approx too. double the capacity for the same price

disclaimer - im no expert my words are a brief overview not a firm recommendation but i can vouch for the usb powered one being DECENT coz i have one

Yes from time your stating PC world, I agree your no expert lol

ebuyer FTW

had my seagate 3 years now, never failed me.

ebuyer, overclockers, dabs all very good, no probs, even Tescos do good ext hdds

Will u be using this fro proper storage or will u be accessing it all the time, bear in mind speed of the HDD

its an extension to my computer memory. obviously ill have it to back up my internal memory, but most of it is for active use.

*EDIT: i just bought the WD 2TB off Amazon for £99