Thierry semi-retires but still to dead Tottenham on his debut

TF S4DK

France striker Thierry Henry has joined the New York Red Bulls in a multiyear deal.

Henry will make his debut on July 22 in an exhibition against Premier League club Tottenham, the Red Bulls announced Wednesday.

The 33-year-old former Arsenal and Barcelona player is the MLS's second designated player.

"Thierry is not only a world class player who will undoubtedly improve our squad, but he has shown most importantly throughout his career that he is a winner," Red Bulls general manager Erik Soler said.

Henry will be introduced at a press conference on Thursday at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, N.J.

"This marks an exciting new chapter in my career and life," Henry said. "It is an honor to play for the New York Red Bulls. I am fully aware of the team's history and my sole goal during my time here is to help win the club its first championship.

"Knowing Red Bulls significant commitment to soccer locally and internationally, I am confident that my teammates and I will succeed."

France striker Thierry Henry has joined the New York Red Bulls in a multiyear deal.

Henry will make his debut on July 22 in an exhibition against Premier League club Tottenham, the Red Bulls announced Wednesday.

The 33-year-old former Arsenal and Barcelona player is the MLS's second designated player.

"Thierry is not only a world class player who will undoubtedly improve our squad, but he has shown most importantly throughout his career that he is a winner," Red Bulls general manager Erik Soler said.

Henry will be introduced at a press conference on Thursday at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, N.J.

"This marks an exciting new chapter in my career and life," Henry said. "It is an honor to play for the New York Red Bulls. I am fully aware of the team's history and my sole goal during my time here is to help win the club its first championship.

"Knowing Red Bulls significant commitment to soccer locally and internationally, I am confident that my teammates and I will succeed."

Bare jk. the nigga should of jus said he wanted to get paid. Still a G tho 4real.

• 2 weeks later...
Former Arsenal striker Thierry Henry scored against old foes Tottenham but he finished on the losing side on his debut for New York Red Bulls.

The 32-year-old scored in the first half when he converted a cross from Joel Lindpere past Carlo Cudicini.

Robbie Keane equalised from short range before full-back Gareth Bale fired in the winner after a defensive mix-up.

"The goals are going to come," said Henry. "The reception was great, every time I touched the ball they cheered."

The Frenchman, who took public transport to the match, played the first half, handing his number 14 shirt to Spurs midfielder Luka Modric at the whistle.

Henry signed a four-and-a-half year deal with the Bulls after he was released by Barcelona.

The forward also announced his retirement from international football after the World Cup, having scored 51 goals for France in 123 appearances.

"The young bloke from that first half, Henry, looks like he's got a good future," joked Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp.

"He was fantastic. He's a different class. He's still a world class player. We were fortunate to win the game. We did OK. We're just back in training."