Saving money

Guest Flat Eric

Guest Flat Eric

In this thread we discuss saving money and give heads up on good bargains.

What techniques do you have for saving money

Where are them deals at?

And anything else that relates to this...prices are going up plyrs so we gotta come together

Just calculated my monthly expenses and i'm gonna put any left over moola in the savings.

basically living like i'm broke for the next few months

/

For those on the rail ting

Year rail card for half price - http://www.hotukdeals.com/vouchers/family-friends-railcard-13-from-jul/708433

• Upvote 4

Guest M12 Part 2

i try to work out how much money i need for the week and withdraw it in cash. that way i think more when buying sh*t instead of just dropping my card into the machine. you think much more about your purchases when you hand over cold hard cash and you think even harder when you look in your wallet and see there's not as much in there as you expected.

If you use card all the time you dont realise the extent of your spending until its too late

disclaimer: if you regularly get moved to or lose things. this method may not be for you

• Upvote 6

Guest Yilmaz

i try to work out how much money i need for the week and withdraw it in cash. that way i think more when buying sh*t instead of just dropping my card into the machine. you think much more about your purchases when you hand over cold hard cash and you think even harder when you look in your wallet and see there's not as much in there as you expected.

If you use card all the time you dont realise the extent of your spending until its too late

Great point, but it does depend on the person's diligence where such things are concerned.

I have an app on my iPhone enabling me to stay on top of my transactions...

• Upvote 2

Great point, but it does depend on the person's diligence where such things are concerned.

I have an app on my iPhone enabling me to stay on top of my transactions...

what is the name of the app? i could do with something like this.

Guest Flat Eric

Eric you star, I needed my railcard renewed.

This is perfect, even though I have to pay off my bill on Tues and I have no money, but f*ck it.

Edit: Wait, what? I have to travel with a kid for this railcard?

do you? where does it say that

i actually havent ordered one as of yet

• Downvote 1

Guest Triple XXX

i looked at that rail ting

checked on virgin trains the price with it n the price without it

no difference

n no i dont think u need to travel with a kid

Where ever you're going, take your Family & Friends Railcard with you to save on rail fares. As long as you have at least one child travelling with you, you'll qualify for Family & Friends Railcard discounts.

Got my hopes up :(

Filled in all my details until I stumbled upon this string.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Good thread. I took a look at my bank balance this morning and my heart sunk, pay day's so far away and there's so much I need to save up for. I'm going to start leaving all bank cards at home (apart from the one card that hardly ever has a lot of money on it) including my staff card and student card so I don't allow the discount to tempt me.

I work between three bank accounts.

Ones my business, the others my savings and then I have my account that majority of my money goes into and I have available to spend. Im alright at saving, but what happens is then I get into my head I want 3 or 4 new things, start saving for these things and not one of them is under a grand, So Its like I save to a certain limit then blow it all on new things, when I don't really need the new thing I just want it because its new, its so stupid!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

Guest Triple XXX

i just have 2, ones main the other is for bills so i cant spend money i need for bills on dumb sh*t like sweets (i eat a lot of sweets), i move money from my main to my bill acc

• Downvote 1

you can still get a young persons rail card up to the age of 25

apparently if u renew it jus before ur 25th birthday u get a whole extra year.

i live hand to mouth really at the moment but i pay my bills on payday, take out money for the week like m12 said.

Pay my bills ahead of time when i can cos i know there are gna be times when i have nothing an i cant be dealiin with moorcroft an the like

if you dont do it already make ur phone bill direct debit and don't get a paper bill

im saving like £5 a month this way

always check martins money saving tips, that man is a G when it comes to savings, has some useful ideas and information

if you have a student over draft, dont just leave it when its empty an you have finished uni

remember they can call that money in any time they want, best to have a seperate account for your wages and then put money in on as regular basis as possible into the overdraft. Even if its like £100 a month, if they see its inactive, theres gna be trouble.

If you cant pay a bill, always communicate with the company or people you own money too, ALWAYS read your bank statements, ALWAYS read your phone bills etc when they come through the door.

O an i dont follow this one myself, but cut out buyin lunch at work, make your own lunch its about 90% cheaper

real talk.

• Upvote 1

disclaimer: if you regularly get moved to or lose things. this method may not be for you

Definately need to adopt this method. Seeing it in writing has reaffirmed this belief

Pos

Im saving £325 a month at the moment. I let that money go from my current account to my ISA the same day i get paid so i have no excuse to not let that money go.

Because i work in a bank, ive become more disciplined to save and control my finances and with my savings account, I have a card for it but I don't know the PIN and the only other way to get access to it is over the counter and because I'm not counter staff anymore, I dont really get a chance to get the money...so its getting me to save.