Thierry Henry craves future role at Arsenal

Mr. Gayle

Like we didnt knowThierry Henry has revealed he wants to return to Arsenal after his playing career comes to an end.The 32-year-old striker, a darling of the Gunners' faithful during his eight years at the club, left Barcelona this week for New York Red Bulls.But after he hangs up his boots the Frenchman is determined to work for the north Londoners again in some capacity."When I retire, I don't know how, I want to come back to Arsenal," he told BBC Radio 5 live's Sportsweek."I have just come to New York to play and to compete and win another title," added Henry, who left Arsenal in 2007 for Barcelona."After everything is done then I will think about it. But whatever it is, I want to come back to Arsenal - maybe as a water boy - I just love this club." 606: DEBATEWhat role could Henry fulfill at the Emirates?Henry, who is Arsenal's all-time record goalscorer with 226 goals, also admitted he would like Gunners captain Cesc Fabregas to stay at the Emirates despite temptations to join Barcelona.The Catalan club have been courting the 23-year-old Spanish World Cup winner, who joined Arsenal from the Nou Camp as a teenager."It is hard because the guy is from Barcelona. I wouldn't like to be in his shoes, that's all I can say," stated Henry."I wouldn't like to be in his position because he is from there and he loves Arsenal."I don't know what to say about this, because I don't want to talk for him, but as an Arsenal fan, for me, I want him to stay, but I would also understand if he goes back home."

Once an Arsenal man, always an Arsenal man. Just askThierry Henry.“It’s always a special thing for me playing against Tottenham,” Henry said Monday after the Red Bulls’ training session at Montclair State University. “I am an Arsenal fan. For me, the game at the Arena will be a double feeling — my first game for the Red Bulls, and it’s against Tottenham.”Those two English clubs have an intense rivalry in North London, a battle that Henry, a French striker, joined in 1999 when he transferred to Arsenal from Juventus.On Thursday, Henry, wearing his familiar No. 14 jersey, will make his debut for the Red Bulls against Spurs at Red Bull Arena in the first match of the New York Football Challenge. Manchester City plays Sporting Lisbon on Friday night, then there is a doubleheader Sunday when the Red Bulls play City and Tottenham faces Sporting.During practice Monday, Henry looked active, skillful and in control. He stayed on the field long after most of his teammates departed for the locker room.“It is important for all players to stay late and work on the basics,” Henry, 32, said. “The fundamentals, I think they use that term in basketball, that’s what you should do, work on what you know best.”After being introduced at a news conference last week, Henry joined the Red Bulls on Saturday at Columbus and watched his new club wither in the heat, losing a battle for first place in the Eastern Conference, 2-0, to the Crew. When the club returned home on Sunday, Henry hopped off the bus and worked out alone on the practice field.Coach Hans Backe said he expected Henry to play the first 45 minutes against Tottenham and Manchester City as he works himself back into shape after a few weeks off.“Whenever you step on the field against Tottenham, fit, not fit, Arsenal kit or not an Arsenal kit I become a fan,” Henry said. “You love Arsenal. I know the game, so I knew of the rivalry before I got to Arsenal.“And you feel it straight away, I think a bit more on the Tottenham side because it seems that Arsenal is always on top. Where I used to live in London, we only had Tottenham or Arsenal fans. And I could tell you that even if I didn’t know when we were scheduled to play Tottenham, the Tottenham fans would let me know every time. ‘See you on the 16th at the Lane.’ Every single time. The first game, I didn’t know what to expect. Then I was fighting always for Arsenal.”Tottenham’s stadium is White Hart Lane.As a Gunners player, Henry received a huge charge when Arsenal went to White Hart Lane in April 2004, needing only a point to clinch the English Premier League title on its way to an unbeaten season.“We were up with a few minutes to go, and Robbie Keane scored a penalty in like the 90th minute,” Henry said. “We became champions on their ground, and for an Arsenal fan, there is nothing that can top that. It’s amazing. To win a title at White Hart Lane.”Apparently, Henry’s allegiance to Arsenal will continue after he has completed terms of his four-and-a-half-year deal with the Red Bulls.“When I retire, I don’t know how, I want to come back to Arsenal,” he told BBC Radio. “I have just come to New York to play and to compete and win another title. After everything is done, then I will think about it. But whatever it is, I want to come back to Arsenal — maybe as a water boy — I just love this club.”Asked if he had gotten over France’s disappointing performance at the World Cup in South Africa, Henry volleyed back a swerving shot.“For me, 2002 was worse,” he said. “We had won Euro in 1996 (he means 2000), then the World Cup. We were the defending champions and went out without scoring a goal. That was amazing. People don’t understand that was the worst. At least in 2010, we scored a goal.”