Street Slang in Schools

Guest Esquilax

cosign Skola, speaking the language is far more important, like i'm really gonna do any writing when i go on holiday or get a job as an interpreter just by writing the language.

lol get the f*ck out

You gonna write something that makes my point invalid?

if You want Your article in the Madrid gazette that's You, but i'd much rather be able to order food and ask people my way round, still.

• Upvote 1

cosign Skola, speaking the language is far more important, like i'm really gonna do any writing when i go on holiday or get a job as an interpreter just by writing the language.

lol get the f*ck out

if You want Your article in the Madrid gazette that's You, but i'd much rather be able to order food and ask people my way round, still.

lol how can you learn to properly speak a language if you don't learn to read and write it?

are you just going to learn noises, and have no idea how the words you're saying are spelt and what each word actually means?

how are you going to remember a language if you've never seen it written down or can't write it yourself?

can't believe i'm still typing. i've just been lenched innit

lol get the f*ck out

lol how can you learn to properly speak a language if you don't learn to read and write it?

are you just going to learn noises, and have no idea how the words you're saying are spelt and what each word actually means?

how are you going to remember a language if you've never seen it written down or can't write it yourself?

lench stays lenching but this is gas imo.

i have a friend whose fluent in brazillian portuguese, spanish and french but cant read or write in any of them, except for road signs and menus.

academic process will only get you so far you need actual experience, communicating with people, using what you know and gradually expanding your vocabulary from what you learn in conversation is the best way to learn fluency. it is possible to learn a language without being able to read and write and it is possible to have perfect grammar in that language and be unable to actually communicate with ppl.

when you were a kid you learnt to speak your native language before you could read and write, right?

The fastest method of learning a new language is the suzuki method, i think the method is designed to emulate how you learnt to speak as a child, you learn a few phrases phonetically and then expand the amount of words you know by talking/listenng to ppl.

lol get the f*ck out

lench stays lenching but this is gas imo.

i have a friend whose fluent in brazillian portuguese, spanish and french but cant read or write in any of them, except for road signs and menus.

academic process will only get you so far you need actual experience, communicating with people, using what you know and gradually expanding your vocabulary from what you learn in conversation is the best way to learn fluency. it is possible to learn a language without being able to read and write and it is possible to have perfect grammar in that language and be unable to actually communicate with ppl.

when you were a kid you learnt to speak your native language before you could read and write, right?

The fastest method of learning a new language is the suzuki method, i think the method is designed to emulate how you learnt to speak as a child, you learn a few phrases phonetically and then expand the amount of words you know by talking/listenng to ppl.

sorry but i completely disagree and borderline dont believe that someboy can speak a language and not read it when it has the same alphabet as one they can read (unless your friend is illiterate in english as well). if you're saying he can't read it naturally/fluently then fair enough but your post is dubious if you're saying he can't understand the written languages AT ALL

i speak russian and english and it takes me a while to read russian simply because the alphabet is completely different (bear in mind i don't really practice reading or writing it). so the way i do it is i voice the words in my head, then they make sense.

in portugese, spanish and french the alphabet is the same (latin) alphabet, so how could he be able to read in english and not in those languages? the letters sound pretty much the same, so even if it takes him a bit longer i refuse to believe he is incapable of reading french at all, given how similar the sounds are to english? if he just reads words out loud/in his head then he'll know what they mean if he speaks french.

eg when i see доброе утро i dont really recognise it. but i know how each letter sounds, so i read it in my head and it says "dobre ootra" and i know this means 'good morning'. just an example cos obviously i recognise basic words like that without thinking about it but for words i don't see that often that's what i would do.

so for french, you're telling me your man sees "bon jour",reads the word out, and still doens't know what it means?

you see what i mean?

yeh i was probably being extreme about cant read and write

what i meant is he wouldnt be able to easily read a book in these languages but would have no problem having a conversation about say a complex philosophical problem or tell/understand jokes with various layers of entendre or draw a girl or secure a business deal.

and he basically swears by the suzuki method which stresses learning the sounds first, mostly because enables you to able communicate very quickly. so if he was to learn to speak russian using the suzuki method he would write down "dobre ootra" and memorize the sound knowing it means good morning he would then listen to the accent and context it was used in and then try and use it himself in conversation and wouldnt worry about the actual spelling: доброе утро.

Guest Esquilax

With most Latin based langauges, as long as you recognise certain accents and what they mean, you can easily read/ write whatever words you need to convey your point. Syntax and sentence structure is a different matter though.

With something like Japanese which has an entirely different character set, there's no way you could learn/ survie without knowing how to read and write it first

yeh i was probably being extreme about cant read and write

what i meant is he wouldnt be able to easily read a book in these languages but would have no problem having a conversation about say a complex philosophical problem or tell/understand jokes with various layers of entendre or draw a girl or secure a business deal.

and he basically swears by the suzuki method which stresses learning the sounds first, mostly because enables you to able communicate very quickly. so if he was to learn to speak russian using the suzuki method he would write down "dobre ootra" and memorize the sound knowing it means good morning he would then listen to the accent and context it was used in and then try and use it himself in conversation and wouldnt worry about the actual spelling: доброе утро.

yeah fair enough

i'm the same as your friend with russian then. although i could read a paper or a book if i really concentrated.

i learned english just through speaking it and communicating with people so i'm not saying that doesn't work. but knowing how to correctly write a language is very beneficial imo. not that i'm an expert.

erm

a different alphabet would make learning to write the language even harder, yet learning tospeak it exactly the same

guy's argument has no sense or validation of any kind, bout man has 2 learn 2 write before i can learn 2 speak

( learned spanish from audio cd set, worked like a charm. recognise the words when i see them written, but wouldn't have guessed to spell them that way myself )

so in answer to Your question, yes i am going to say words i can't spell, flairly fluently until i see them written.

also, capital N in leNch.

safe