Former Millwall/Bradford Footballer Found Guilty Of Murder

Mame Biram Diouf

_48471131_grant.jpg

A professional footballer has been found guilty of murdering a man on a north-west London estate.

Former Millwall striker Gavin Grant, 26, shot dead Leon Labastide on the Stonebridge Park Estate in Harlesden in 2004, the Old Bailey was told.

Grant, who also played for Wycombe Wanderers and Bradford City, was involved in a series of "tit-for-tat" shootings on the estate, jurors heard.

Grant, who had denied murder, is due to be sentenced on Monday.

Gareth Downie, 25, from Markby Road, Birmingham, was also found guilty of murdering Mr Labastide.

And Damian Williams, 32, from Tower Bridge Road in Southwark, was convicted of conspiring with them to murder Mr Labastide.

Gareth Downie (L) and Damian Williams were also involved in Mr Labastide's murder

The court heard that Mr Labastide's killing led to the murder of Jahmall Moore in 2005 and Grant's arrest.

Grant, from Shrewsbury Avenue, Kenton, north-west London, was later cleared of shooting Mr Moore, 22, who died in a hail of bullets fired by three gunmen.

He had also denied involvement in Mr Labastide's killing, claiming the 21-year-old was a friend, but was found guilty of murder following trials in December and this month.

Jurors heard trouble flared after a burglary in which three women were terrorised and it was suspected that £20,000 in drug money was taken.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

Attitudes and standards are different. It is more the law of the jungle than the law of civilised England”

Stephen Batten QC

A 16-year-old girl, who had been in the house, gave evidence under an assumed name.

Mr Labastide was rumoured to have been behind the burglary and Williams arranged for Grant and Downie to shoot him, the court was told.

Officers from Operation Trident, which investigates gun crime in the black community, believe as a result of the burglary there were up to 30 connected shooting incidents in the area.

Following the arrests of Grant and others, officers said shootings fell by almost 50% in the area.

Det Insp Steve Horsley said: "Gavin Grant thought he had got away with murder.

"He carried on his footballing career while, all along, he had blood on his hands."

Leon Labastide, aged 21, was shot dead in 2004

During the trial, Prosecutor Stephen Batten QC said many of the people involved in the case had been linked to shootings and drug dealing on the estate.

He said: "Attitudes and standards are different. It is more the law of the jungle than the law of civilised England."

Roberto Parchment, 24, originally convicted of Mr Moore's murder, was found guilty again following a retrial in December.

He was jailed for life again and ordered to serve the remainder of his 28-year sentence.

Downie and Williams will also be sentenced on Monday.

Anyone know what his wage was at these teams just out of interest?

Guest WAVESURFER

What is the story with this Spider guy? Seen his name mentioned a few times on here now. Same guy K Koke did the tune about?

Also, is he the same guy who used to be involved with Meridian or Cold Blooded or one of those North London grime crews? Think he was a producer or something?

I wouldn't snitch but i can understand why people would/do... why is he going to do 16 years when he could do 8 for snitchin on people he has no loyalty to..it's a dog eat dog world..allow ruining even more of your life just so a few people have respect for you.

what i don't get is how the police can let this sh*t be leaked

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 14

Guest Triple XXX

I wouldn't snitch but i can understand why people would/do... why is he going to do 16 years when he could do 8 for snitchin on people he has no loyalty to..it's a dog eat dog world..allow ruining even more of your life just so a few people have respect for you.

if you cant do the time, dont do the crime

snitching is not acceptable anywhere at any time

• Upvote 6

Yeh i agree..and 4000 pages takes the piss..

but i can understand why people would snitch when looking at life sentences etc

I have seen the 4000 page dossier and another one which was made after it that was another 3500 pages

Basically webber snitched on man going back to knock down ginger days

Sickest thing about it is the way he accredited certain work HE put in to next dons he grew with/that grew him

Webber is in some unknown prison/dispersal on a special unit with approximately 8 other supergrass types

Only reason he aint been touched is cos noone can get near him to touch him

The police haven't let it get leaked

This is something that is common knowledge

There is no court ruling in place at present to protect his identity

When he gives evidence at trials he does so under his real name without voice modulation or anything that would hide his identity

/

There is no way you can condone a snitch

ESPECIALLY a snitch like spider

Man got 16 for conspiracy to murder and possession of a mac

Furthermore 2 of his codees got minimum terms of 28 years

He should have counted himself lucky sat down and rid his bird

• Upvote 3

Yeh i agree..and 4000 pages takes the piss..

but i can understand why people would snitch when looking at life sentences etc

bruv snitching is not the one my dad went down because of snitches man never folded ended up going court of appeal where my dad baciscally said the same ting he said from thew start the snitches changed their story from the snaresbrook case and both got two year off where my dads sentace was not changed so like I will alway say fck snitched both of them f*ckers were in their 30's my dad was in his 40's yet my dad is still alive and both of them c*nt lying snitches are dead now so from when u r moving wrong god will bun out

Yeh it's wrong..i just like switching tings up and looking at it from a different view because it's soo boring when everyones in agreement..its good to have a little debate sometimes..everyone seems to just follow what everyone else says though when i know for a fact if certain guys mention no names were in this position they'd snitch but will be the first 1s to say they wouldn't

• Downvote 1