Animals need to be put down

Yuri

Leon-Elcock-l-and-Hamza-L-005.jpg

Leon Elcock (l) and Hamza Lyzai, both jailed for manslaughter over the death of Ekram Haque. Photograph: Metropolitan police/PA

The son of a pensioner killed by a teenage "happy-slapping" gang as he walked home from a south London mosque condemned the sentences given to the defendants at the Old Bailey today as "a disgrace".

Ekram Haque, a retired care worker, was attacked by 15-year-old Hamza Lyzai and 16-year-old Leon Elcock as he returned from Ramadan prayers with his granddaughter at Idara-e-Jafferiya mosque in Tooting last August.

Elcock was sentenced to four and a half years and Lyzai three and a half years by judge Martin Stephens. However they will be released on licence after serving half their sentences, minus the time they have already spent in custody.

Haque's son Arfan, 35, said outside court: "I thought justice has not been served today. I have been really let down. The CPS really need to buck up their ideas because people are getting away with murder. My father died. It's a disgrace."

Judge Stephens lifted restrictions on naming the pair to warn others "who may be tempted to indulge in such appalling behaviour".

But he admitted that his powers of sentence in relation to the assaults were "very limited" because of the defendants' ages.

Haque, 67, was clubbed from behind by the pair as his three-year-old granddaughter Marian watched. He fell and cracked his head on the ground, suffering irreparable brain damage, and died a week later. The attack was captured on CCTV.

Elcock and Lyzai, both from Tooting, pleaded guilty to manslaughter. Though mobile phone footage of Haque's death was not recovered by police, it was the culmination of a series of assaults which were filmed on phones.

The pair, along with a 15-year-old defendant who cannot be named, admitted taking part in other happy-slapping attacks.

Police recovered six video clips – one showed a bus driver being slapped over the head while others showed people being attacked as they were sleeping or riding bicycles. The youths were filmed shouting "Lane Gang Productions" and running off jeering and laughing.

Elcock and the 15-year-old admitted causing actual bodily harm to a couple in their 70s, Jasumati and Jushbhai Patel.

The three teenagers also admitted causing actual bodily harm to Atta-ul Hassan Mir and Imdad Bukari as they chatted outside the mosque minutes before the attack on Haque. The 15-year-old was jailed for six months for playing a part in the assault on the Patels.

The judge told the defendants they had "committed a series of very serious, cowardly and deeply unpleasant offences against elderly and vulnerable men and women".

I don't care if they're 15. They should be executed by electric chair. 100% serious.

Holy sh*t I got angry seeing this on the news.

• Upvote 4

I was just about to neg you for the electric chair comment until I saw your avi. Link to prawn please.

/

Since they wanna be on this big man ting they should be put in jail with real killers.

Explain to me why you think they deserve to live.

Austin Taylor

• Upvote 2

I was just about to neg you for the electric chair comment until I saw your avi. Link to prawn please.

/

Since they wanna be on this big man ting they should be put in jail with real killers.

Austin Taylor

The appropriate prisons are there for them to do their time in without the need to take someone's life. I firmly believe that's not OUR decision to make.

HOWEVER, if they wanna live that life go put them in that jail, regardless of age. They won't last. And you'd probably have your wish, or even worse, they'd do their time and spend everyday being shown they're really not on this big man ting like they thought they was.

/

What Flat Eric said. Link, not name.

/

Austin Taylor

The appropriate prisons are there for them to do their time in without the need to take someone's life. I firmly believe that's not OUR decision to make.

HOWEVER, if they wanna live that life go put them in that jail, regardless of age. They won't last. And you'd probably have your wish, or even worse, they'd do their time and spend everyday being shown they're really not on this big man ting like they thought they was.

yeah do their time. all 3 and a half years of it. what a joke.

Guest Esquilax

Yeah, I was angry when I saw this on the news as well

The video footage was pretty distressing, especially seeing as he was with a 3 year old little girl at the time...

3/4 years is definitely not enough. How can you randomly hit someone in the face when they're with a child, cause their death, and get anything less than 10 years minimum.

f*ck*ng terrible

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Kill someone and do 3/4 yrs

supply drugs and do the same if not longer

Yup justice system is f*cked. But we already know this.

The thing is Drugs ruin whole communities a murder would just affect the individual who got killed, their family an friends.

Not that i agree with either.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

The thing is Drugs ruin whole communities a murder would just affect the individual who got killed, their family an friends.

Not that i agree with killing or even drug dealing.

:lol:

Not that i agree with killing or even drug dealing.

For me, the thing with drugs is people know the risks, yet people still go out on road to buy them.

I personally disagree about "murder just affects the individual who got killed, their family and friends" I think it can also affect the whole community.

Everything has a knock on effect.

• Upvote 1

totally agree on the criminal justice comment. you wont believe how angry I get over peoples sentences.

There must be f*ck*ng bafoons running it. I mean how many times have you heard the story 'blah blah blah was released on license and did not turn up for parole'.

Of course he didnt turn up for parole you f*ck*ng idiots.

Not a good example..you supply to more than 1 person so they see it has potentially harming a lot of people as opposed to 1.

plus they classed it as man slaughter init when i think incases like this it should be concidered murder

every case should be looked at differently instead of thinking "oh they didn't plan on killing him so it must be man slaughter"

• Downvote 1