Cesc and RvP may miss the start of the season

MetaFives

Arsène Wenger expects Johan Djourou to be fit for the Emirates Cup. The defender was substituted in the first half of Tuesday's 4-0 pre-season win over SC Neusiedl 1919. Tomas Rosicky missed the match, despite being named in the starting XI. The midfielder had sustained a groin injury but Wenger says it is not serious. "Djourou has a small hamstring problem but it is not bad," said the manager. "He should be available for the weekend. "Rosicky had a small, small alert. He was supposed to play in the first half but he could have played. "I didn't want to take the gamble, it is only a little problem on his groin and I decided to replace him."
Nicklas Bendtner will miss the start of the Premier League season, according to Arsène Wenger. There is better news regarding Denilson and Abou Diaby, who should both be fit for the Legia Warsaw game on August 7. However, Wenger is concerned that Cesc Fabregas and Robin van Persie may not be ready in time for the new campaign. "Bendtner will not be available for the start of the season," said the manager after Tuesday's win in Neusiedl. "We don't know [how bad it is]. "Denilson should be [fit] - maybe not for the Emirates Cup but for the Warsaw game and Diaby as well."Fabregas and Van Persie are due to come back on August 5 and from then on we will see how much build-up work is needed physically and as well how they have recovered mentally from the World Cup." "They might be short for the first game [of the season] but I don't know, that will depend on the fitness work they have done during the holiday."