Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sinister

Our Drugs War

37 posts in this topic

From a filmaker who doesn't believe making drugs illegal is the way forward and is in fact making things worse

Ch4 now.

was it any good then? cos imma start it now but if its sh*t two n a half men is on

was it any good then? cos imma start it now but if its sh*t two n a half men is on

Didn't end up watching it..got distracted at the first advert by 'dating in the dark' because i missed it last week

Dating in the Dark? Two and a Half Men?

\smh

bruv two and a half men is f*ckin sick

Dating in the Dark? Two and a Half Men?

\smh

First off lol @ shaking ur head at two and a half men..show is big

and dating in the dark is joke.. Especially on the 'light reveal

Didn't say anything about the quality of the programs, just that it's odd that you've chosen them over a show that has social relevance

Didn't say anything about the quality of the programs, just that it's odd that you've chosen them over a show that has social relevance

Don't take drugs or sell drugs so don't really care to be honest...the first bit i watched before the advert looked decent though..will watch another time

wasn't great

that "i used to be a drug smuggler now i lecture people on the dangers of crime and brag to documentary makers about how successful and dangerous i was" guy couldn't have been more of a stereotype if he tried

wasn't great

that "i used to be a drug smuggler now i lecture people on the dangers of crime and brag to documentary makers about how successful and dangerous i was" guy couldn't have been more of a stereotype if he tried

It's a complex stereotype

We need the war on drugs to carry on and we should spend billions on building prisons to enslave people

Even if people get found with one reefer they should locked up for at least a year

Alchol is way better for people, it should be promoted more

This sh*t it unbelievable

1% of all drug suppliers and drug crime

99% slips through

f*ck*ng hell

Need to legalize

Was a poor documentary imo

Also

That scientist needs to do a month of media and basically be heard by every household in this country

speaks too much truth

David Nutt? The one who got sacked

Yes the guy that got sacked.

Why you always so abrasive towards me bro?

Thought we were on the same wavelength

I love you man, what you on about

someone even negged you just then and I pos'd you to make it neutral again

its all love

but yea

that scientist guy is the truth

I'ma bell him see if he wants to be the face of my movement

I love you man, what you on about

lmfao

someone even negged you just then and I pos'd you to make it neutral again

its all love

1.jpg

Milk curdling pic.

MODS: Please change C$ to C4

Our Drugs War, Ep 2, Channel 4, 8pm - Queensbridge, NY - The dealers

Oueensbridge! Home of Nas, Cormega, Mobb Deep & Marley Marl

e3fc9773-83c4-4f6a-b1ec-977c3e58073c_200x113.jpg

The Queensbridge Estate in New York lies within sight of the Manhattan skyscrapers, but is seemingly a world away. The largest housing complex in Queens, it is regularly raided by police to break up massive drug operations.

Here, award-winning filmmaker Angus Macqueen looks at the social cost of America's war on drugs through the life of 28-year-old Thomas Winston: a small-time drug dealer struggling to stay out of prison and away from the lure of easy money that illegal drugs offer. As his probation officer says, here is a man who can earn $15,000 a week in the drugs world or $200 before taxes working in McDonald's.

Thomas is first seen campaigning against the 'Rockefeller' drugs laws in New York State, where sale or possession of small amounts of drugs are given a mandatory sentence equivalent to second degree murder, and have long been seen to be both discriminatory and draconian.

Human Rights Watch have published a series of reports making clear that Whites, Black and Hispanics sell and consume narcotics in equal numbers, yet over 80% of the prisoners in New York State are Black or Latino. Inside a prison, barely a white face can be seen.

The film tracks Thomas's moving story over a number of months, as he interacts with the legal system and as his probation officer and lawyer attempt to help him; but gradually he is drawn back to his old life. By the end of the film, Thomas has been stabbed to death.

Thomas's story illustrates the failure of America's zero tolerance drug laws, which don't stop supply or address addiction, but rather consign whole groups of society to a tragic cycle, undermining the very fabric of whole communities: be it here in Britain or in the US.