The Hospital - Series 2 Ep 2 - Teen Crime Victims, C4 NOW

2deal2

The Hospital - Series 2 Ep 2 - Teen Crime Victims, C4 NOW

Taurean's mother phones him every day "because I just want to know that he's alive". Her solicitude is understandable after her 22-year-old son was left fighting for his life when he was attacked and stabbed by a group of younger boys. The injury punctured his liver. Taurean had the good fortune to be treated at the Royal London Hospital's pioneering trauma unit, which has seen the number of knife-attack victims double during the past five years. Dr Mike Walsh, the hospital's trauma director, is non-judgemental and clear-sighted as he discusses the stain of gang violence on London.

"The hardest thing, particularly if they die, is the sense of waste of life, the waste of potential and opportunity." This powerful and sobering film looks at the catastrophic effects of stab wounds, which can leave victims paralysed and psychologically damaged. Saddest of all is the parade of sweet, decent parents, who keep bedside vigils as their children recover from dreadful injuries. Their bafflement is heartbreaking. As Taurean's mother, Edith, says of her son's struggle to survive, "I know I lived and died in those seconds; I thought: 'I'm going to bury my son.'"

MIssed about half an hour, so will catch the first 30 minutes on +1.

However, that yout that had been stabbed four times and was just like "We are all destined to die so I guess it could have happened". sh*t is scary and mad that a 13 year old does not seem optimistic or phased by the fact he may not get to turn his ambitions and aspirations into a tangible reality.