Too old to start boxing or MMA?

Eskay Jones

How old is old to professionally start combat sports do you think? I've just turned 25. and past 4-5months have been interested in a career or atleast a hobby of learning hand to hand skills.

Condition wise i'm conditioned as it is. 5'11 - 181lbs.

Cardio wise is about as good as Mo Farah. I can run like forest gump dont ever seen to get tired during football. i know a fight is completely different.

I do have some fight experience from when i was younger.

Havent got many links to get information on this at my gym only a couple actually pursue it. Anybody have any links that they wouldnt mind sharing

Guest M12 Part 2

youre never too old just be prepared to get a few black eyes and sore ribs etc.

/

im starting to think your a stupid f*cking prick. im hoping this is not the case

youre never too old just be prepared to get a few black eyes and sore ribs etc.

/

im starting to think your a stupid f*cking prick. im hoping this is not the case

Be serious im too old for such antics. I have 2 children for petes sake.

raoul moat had 3.

/

theres a boxing and fighting room.

• Downvote 1

Some observations on your topic;

You are never too old to start. Go to your local gym and speak to a trainer. Maybe you will pick it up quickly and you could reach national level in 2.5 years if you have a natural aptitude, work very hard and show dedication. By the time you are 28 you could be a good amateur and then turn pro at 29 or 30 and have a decent career.

Prepare for a tough journey. You will be getting humiliated in the ring by 16 year olds for about 2 years. Also you're too fat atm. You would need to drop AT LEAST 13 lbs and that would put you in Super Middle Weight. I don't know if you are strong enough to box there without seeing you. I am the same height as you and I box at SMW now. I have also fought at heavy, cruiser and light heavy. I do not advise fighting or even sparring in any of those classes at your height. Its not an enjoyable experience.

Do you have what it takes to run every morning and lose the weight, go to the gym at least 3 times a week and push yourself to your limits? Learn an incredibly hard martial art? Boxing takes every single ligament in your body working in unison. Just to throw a punch you use everything. Go and do some research about throwing the right hand correctly, standing correctly and jabbing correctly. Then imagine putting all that together, at full speed, whilst someone is trying to knock you out.

Takes years mate.. years and years of hard work. Good luck.

• Upvote 3

Guest Trollse Hill

POS'D

Eskay I know you're the sort of guy whos watched a few Tyson videos and tried a few swings in your kitchen thinking yeah yeah I can do this, when you get in that gym you'd get swung out by a ute, i aint joking you'd be taken for a bitch and thats just life, boxing is life for people tis all they got and you wont be welcommed coming in trying it out fora little hobby cos you watched some skysports prize fighters, deep down the boxing community is solid, outsiders are not wanted especially at your age, ur best of going to bannatines gym and doing BOXERCISE init.

No send, i rate wat ur trying to do but just be careful

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

As long as you're in your 20's then you can make it happen. Krzysztof Soszynski started at 25 and he has a legit UFC career. Couture didnt start training in MMA until he was in his 30's (although he had a wrestling background).

You should start because you have an interest in the sport though. That's what will make you sit in on a Friday night when you have a training session on a Saturday. It will get you fit and it's generally just a fun activity.

How good you can be depends on how hard you are willing to work and how athletic you are. Honestly, in my old gym there were hefty white guys who had been training for years and they were getting beat around by black guys who had been training for say 6 months (no racist).

You will never know until you try.

As long as you're in your 20's then you can make it happen. Krzysztof Soszynski started at 25 and he has a legit UFC career. Couture didnt start training in MMA until he was in his 30's (although he had a wrestling background).

You should start because you have an interest in the sport though. That's what will make you sit in on a Friday night when you have a training session on a Saturday. It will get you fit and it's generally just a fun activity.

How good you can be depends on how hard you are willing to work and how athletic you are. Honestly, in my old gym there were hefty white guys who had been training for years and they were getting beat around by black guys who had been training for say 6 months (no racist).

You will never know until you try.

these guys are just big for nothing lumps of flesh

pos'd

Boxing should never be compared to UFC

C/S

FROM WHEN BROCK LESNAR IS THE HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP U KNOW THE SPORT ISN'T SERIOUS

IMAGINE SOME WWE STAR TRYING BOXING AND BECOMING WORLD CHAMP...WOULD NEVER HAPPEN

HANG TIGHT JAMES TONEY HE WILL WACK ALL THEM MAN UP AND SHOW UFC FOR WHAT IT IS, A JOKE

pos'd

Boxing should never be compared to UFC

C/S

FROM WHEN BROCK LESNAR IS THE HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP U KNOW THE SPORT ISN'T SERIOUS

IMAGINE SOME WWE STAR TRYING BOXING AND BECOMING WORLD CHAMP...WOULD NEVER HAPPEN

lots of these mma guys come to my gym to learn "Striking Brah" lmfao

"Yo bro I'm here to improve my striking"

hhahaha