Let's All Laugh At Jermain Defoe

TF S4DK

Defoe: Spurs will go further in Europe than Arsenal

Tottenham learn their Champions League fate today – with Jermain Defoe claiming they will go further in Europe than Arsenal.

Never mind a continent, Harry Redknapp’s men don’t even have to conquer the North Circular – the trail could lead all the way from White Hart Lane to the European Cup final, nine miles away at Wembley on May 28.

With several formidable ­obstacles lying in wait among their possible qualifying play-off opponents, Tottenham’s first hurdle could be the toughest.

But if they survive their Champions League audition, England striker Defoe believes Spurs are ready to usurp their neighbours from the Emirates as north London’s leading cultural attaches in Europe.

That’s a big call, a brave call. Especially as Arsenal share, with Real Madrid, the record for most consecutive appearances (10) in the Champions League’s knockout stage.

Defoe, however, can already spot Calais through his telescope and is backing Redknapp’s cor blimey to last longer than Arsene Wenger’s creme de menthe when we’re all trying to work out how many euros there are to the pound. He said: “If we can get past the play-off qualifier, I honestly think we will go further in the Champions League than Arsenal.

“No disrespect to Arsenal, because they have a good record in the Champions League and for them it’s become part of the furniture, part of their regular season, it’s the norm.

“But I can’t wait to experience the buzz around White Hart Lane on European nights, the place will be absolutely rocking.

“I do believe, if we can make that first step, that we will be contenders. We’ve got the squad, younger players like Gareth Bale have come on a bundle since we were last in Europe, and the gaffer would love to show what he can do as a manager in Europe.

“Harry was the top English manager in the Premier League last season, and there’s no reason why he can’t be successful in the Champions League.

“He’s a special manager. Down the years there are loads of people who have tried, and failed, to achieve what he did in his first full season at Tottenham, and I know he’ll be up for it in Europe.

“But we want to be quick out of the blocks in the Premier League as well. The big games come thick and fast on all fronts, for club and country, in the opening weeks and, as we saw last year, a good start can take you a long way. It’s crazy - only three months ago, we went up to Manchester City for what was effectively a shoot-out for fourth place, and now we are playing them again on the first day of the season.

“Who knows how important the result might prove in the final shake-up, but with City first up followed by a ­Champions League qualifier, it feels like the business end of our campaign might be in the first weeks.

“It’s a tough schedule, but we will be ready for it mentally. I’ve always believed in making a strong start. We did that last year, and it set the tone for the next eight months.

“Every year the Premier League seems to be getting tougher, but Tottenham fans have been waiting forever for a team to deliver ­Champions League football, and we don’t want to be one-hit wonders.

“We’ve got the players to do it, a top manager and we need to prove we belong on the biggest stage, and competing against the biggest teams in Europe, consistently.

“Ever since I went to St Lucia with the family after the World Cup, I’ve been itching to get out on the pitch.

“I took a ball down to the beach with me every day because there are so many big games coming up and I want to be ready for them.”