Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
prdx

minor music production legal issues

15 posts in this topic

a few years ago I used to work as part of a group that was trying to start up its own label and make moves... when we started to pick up a lil momentum and did a few shows manager screwed us out of the money and basically disappeared on us... no legal documents were signed.. fast forward to a few weeks ago I hear this guy has a similar setup and he's using the material (mainly instrumentals) that my group created and giving them to his new group for them to use...

i did the whole email/ mail the ting to urself as a cheap copyright before he had access to it on disc (them times I never had money for PRS) I have all my project files for every step of the tracks development which they never had (he musta ripped the export off a cd).. as far as i'm aware they do or are planning gigs with some of my beats and possibly radio play... is there anything I can do from a legal standpoint?

Musicians Union?

Prs?

the basics^^^

Did u sign up to any of these?

If no? My friend . You either pull of a suge knight to vanilla ice or keep it moving >>

sorry i just came to read the story have no idea man

i heard if you have 2 sealed copies you can open one to prove what it is and still have another copy of the evidence intact

Find him and put it on him

Real talk

hire some goonies to shake him up

the whole lawyer court process could cost more that you are owed n whatnot

sue him

as long as you can prove you created it first, you should be fine

but like david said. court fees are a bitch

/

not sure when this happened but for a PRS writers membership it only cost £10 and they take it off your first royalty payment

its been this way for a while

fightin him aint goin to help my cause at all so I aint wastin my time on that tbh... I was thinkin more to sue and squeeze whatever p outta it that I can but I didn't even think court fee's tbh I was very short sighted in this been real tho I can prove the beats are mine... Its a old track anyway and I kinda consider it a throw away beat but I aint havin a prick make money off my sh*t..

The guy is f*ckin slippery tho I kno say gunman are after him cos he has robbed the wrong ppl in the past... He always just about gets away tho

learn for the future and join musicians union

they are great for advice - lawyers, contracts and all that jazz. friendly and cheap.

like how people say sue. Like its that straight forward.

The fees might end up costing you more than whatever you make from the damages.

In most cases taking the L is the better option...

or handle it like a boss...

kool... safe u man appreciate all the input

if the music was done a few yrs ago, would they be relevant today and not dated? if not, sometimes it pays to get burnt once so youll know what to do next time.

if the music stolen is successful you'll know you're on the right track!

Has the track(s) you made, reaped any money yet for them?

If not, sit tight until it does if your going lawyers. Pointless suing a dead manager/artist/label.

Could issue a C&D tho.

Find him and put it on him

Real talk

if it aint made no money, no point of going after him via the courts.

Dont have to beat him up aswell, just be creatively threatening, there are bare scummy people in music.

join the musician's union, then when You see the guy making p, take the seperate tracks to the musician's union, they will fight Your case if You have seperate tracks and he doesn't.