Wenger: "Just putting it out there"

Captain Planet

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6319897,00.html

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger fears that a new rule governing the inclusion of home-grown talent in the Premier League has offered fringe players the opportunity to use the courts to terminate their contracts.

The Gunners manager has highlighted section 15 of the Fifa 'Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players' when criticising a quota system that has been imposed on top-flight clubs.

Premier League sides now have to name a 25-man squad with a maximum of 17 non-homegrown players, leaving managers with difficult decisions to make regarding their selections.

A clause in the rule states that players who have featured in less than 10 per cent of 'the official matches in which his club has been involved may terminate his contract prematurely on the ground of sporting just cause'.

Wenger believes this could lead to unrest as players will be able to use the courts to make decisions and rip up their agreements with clubs after the possible payment of compensation.

"The players have already integrated into their way of thinking that a club can only give 25 names to the Premier League," the Frenchman told Arsenal'sspacer.gifofficial website ahead of Sunday's 1-1 draw at Liverpool.spacer.gif

Money

"They already think, 'if I am not in the 25 I can retire, or go here, or go there, or I go to court', that can happen as well.

"Do not forget that somebody did not think in England that, if you play less than 10 per cent of games in a season, under Fifa rules you can get rid of your contract.

"I would like to know, when they voted for that in the Premier League, if they knew this rule.

"If you have not played more than 10 per cent of games, you can get in front of a Fifa committee that then decides how much money you have to pay to buy out your contract. That is a rule.

"If players are paid for playing and you do not give them the chance to play they can go to court and ask for that money from you because they never had that chance to play. If you are not even in the 25, how can you play?"

Section 15 also states that 'a professional may only terminate his contract on this basis in the 15 days following the last official match of the season of the club with which he is registered'.

Swear he just slyly wants more free transfers at the end of the season