Should u have 2 b English?

thinkingthuglife

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11671_6328410,00.html

Couldn't gi a fuk me u pick the best players available innit. Every other euro country doin it so its about time England did. Would any of you's b pissed off if Arteta could play 4 england? John Barnes aint from England n he repped so why fuks this country not movin wi the times. Arteta versatile n all so it would give options. Fuk it Arteta n Scholes in Centre mid n England could actually do 1-2s!

Arteta wouldn't want to but if he did it would be a lot for england.

but in answer to Your question, yes You should have to be english. pisses me off when these players dnt play for their countries, certain teams would be way better if their players didn't play for france, for example.

Arteta wouldn't want to but if he did it would be a lot for england.

but in answer to Your question, yes You should have to be english. pisses me off when these players dnt play for their countries, certain teams would be way better if their players didn't play for france, for example.

Blood even Germany n Poland have had foreign players so England need 2 get wi times. in France players grow up in the system innit so Zidane woz probs playin France u14s n sh*t so y would he change?

I dunno though, because with teams like France, Germany, etc, yes those players are from other countries, but they received their footballing education IN their home nations.

This isn't the case with Arteta.

I think players falling under the homegrown rule should be eligible to play for England, regardless of their background. Players who've just been here for a long time shouldn't.

I personally wouldn't be mad if Arteta DID play for England, I think it would be a step in the right direction in terms of accepting their need of different kind of ballers & cultured football. It would also rile up enough xenophobia to force academies to actually PRODUCE these English players in the long run.

• Upvote 1

no

if someone has grown up in england, had there football education here, like mike kane said then yh

otherwise international football will just be like the champions league

plus england dont even need arteta

there are plenty of players in the under 21's who if they actually got games at there clubs

and were encouraged to play in the right way and in the right systems , like they are abroad

could be as good as arteta

Guest haze-e

Almunia for England!!!!1

Could you imagine. Looooool. I would have no probelm with Arteta playing his trade for England but i dont think he should just because of how long hes lived here.

Cosign MK tbh.

Ultimately if your good enough and eligible to play you should be playing. There are certain players from around the world that have been playing football in England for years that would do a much better job than some of the fools we've had playing for the England national team.

Some would argue that that would mean the place doesn't go to a real Englishman, but that argument is squashed by the fact that if said Englishman was good enough his place wouldn't be taken

Playing for a country IMO, should mean representing that countries footballing identity, its culture, etc.

It shouldn't just mean, if you play here long enough & are good, you should play.

Again, it isn't about being foreign. It's the fact you weren't EDUCATED over here.

Like in my opinion, Fabregas is a part-English, part-Spanish in his current style of play. He's been here since the age of 15 & you can see now with that added aggression, directness, power to his overall style, that he's been educated to the English style of play since a young age. If for whatever reason he never played for Spain, there'd be no problem with him playing for England.

No. He shouldnt even be considered, but the way the ppl in power in this country view and judgw the criteria of being homegrown is patheitic allready so its like they're pushing for this stuff to happen.

And as JJ has already said, having a foreigner manager and all that foreign backroom staff is worse than the odd spaniard pulling on the kit. So i guess the damage is done.

Aomeone else also mentiones the young talent comin through. If i gave two shits about England i'd want them to at least try some of the younger lads out for aa good period of time before they went down the forign route.

And can ppl stop mentioning Scholes for England please, thanks.

I'm not Against what your saying Mr Kane but then what's your view on Owen Hargreaves?

Born in Canada, to a Canadian mother and an English father. Spent his teenage years and up in Germany.

His footballing background isn't english at all. Sure his father is English but if that's the line to draw for eligibility then what makes it ok for say John Barnes to play for England when he was born in Jamaica, and both parents are Jamaican. Or are you really against him having played too?

John Barnes grew up in JA tho.

Was never really accepted by the scummy fans though, even that wonder goal he scored against brazil, a lot of them didn't "count it".

(I suppose it was a different time etc)

*edit, Hargreaves by virtue of his english father is different I guess.

I'm not Against what your saying Mr Kane but then what's your view on Owen Hargreaves?

Born in Canada, to a Canadian mother and an English father. Spent his teenage years and up in Germany.

His footballing background isn't english at all. Sure his father is English but if that's the line to draw for eligibility then what makes it ok for say John Barnes to play for England when he was born in Jamaica, and both parents are Jamaican. Or are you really against him having played too?

I'm not even 100% on what to say about Hargreaves TBH. At the end of day, he's eligible purely on a basic level. He has English heritage. I thought we were discussing players who don't have any English background whatsoever.

John Barnes got his footballing education IN England by the way & regardless, he's an exception to the rule. One of the best wingers/players this nation has ever seen.

Well we can't put eligiblity down to quality can we "Your actually better than we've got right now so you can play"

This being about where a player was developed is half and half. Fair enough Barnes was trained from young in English football but does that mean that Arteta hasn't developed at all while being in this country? It can't be put down to where and when a player was developed tbh.

And before someones puts it down to the money it costs to develop young talent you still have to factor in that everturd do pay Arteta's wages, which is considerably more than it costs to nurture young talent.

The 5 year rule isn't perfect but I can't see a better way. Am open to suggestions.

Maybe just a simple "Where were you born, and how long did you live there" setup.