Macbook Pro

Bacardi_Up

I am sold on getting the macbook pro and have accumalated most of the cash to get an i7 model.

The only thing holding me back from doing so is whether a new line is to be released any time soon. I realise that sometimes apple updates and refreshes their lines in September and April but does anyone happen to have knowledge of whether their will be a Q3 2010 upgrade this time round or an Spring 2011 upgrade.

Are the upgrades likely to be significant if they do upgrade and is it worth holding out since I will be dropping a good 1.5k on this machine.

Please advise.

everyone has this dilemma, apple won't announce when a new model is gonna come out for the exact reason that no one will buy a new one for the months leading up to a new model's release, if you need one now, then buy it, if you don't need one now, then wait.

• 5 months later...

New Macbooks dropping this week

French Apple site Mac4Ever (via Google Translate) claims to have obtained a photo of what appears to be a 15-inch MacBook Pro box. The site also claimed to have obtained several pictures of the 13-inch earlier on Wednesday. Though the report asserts that the photo is "genuine" with "confirmation," AppleInsider cannot make any claims as to the authenticity of the image and is reposting them for interest and discussion.

The site was unable to verify exactly which model the box was for, but asserts that it is "without doubt the entry or mid-range," because the 3D card has just 256MB of RAM.

According to the photo, Apple's next-generation 15-inch MacBook Pro has:

An Intel Core 2.0 GHz i7 quad-core processor with a 6MB cache

4GB of RAM at 1333 MHz

500GB hard drive

15.4-inch screen with 1440x900 resolution

Intel HD Graphics 3000

AMD Radeon HD 6490M GPU with 256MB of memory

FaceTime HD camera

8x SuperDrive

Thunderbolt and Mini DisplayPort

SDXC slot, FireWire 800 port and two USB 2.0 ports

Audio and Ethernet ports

Wi-Fi and Bluetooth

2.54 kg in weigh

As expected, Apple on Thursday updated its MacBook Pro family with next generation processors and graphics, high-speed Thunderbolt I/O technology and a new FaceTime HD camera.

Featuring the very latest dual-core and quad-core Intel Core processors, the entire MacBook Pro line is up to twice as fast as the previous generation. In addition to the new 13-inch model, Apple also updated its larger, faster 15- and 17-inch configurations.

“The new MacBook Pro brings next generation dual and quad Core processors, high performance graphics, Thunderbolt technology and FaceTime HD to the great design loved by our pro customers,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. “Thunderbolt is a revolutionary new I/O technology that delivers an amazing 10 gigabits per second and can support every important I/O standard which is ideal for the new MacBook Pro.”

Starting at $1,199 the new 13-inch MacBook Pro features Intel Core i5 and Core i7 dual-core processors up to 2.7 GHz and Intel HD Graphics 3000. MacBook Pro is the first computer on the market to include the unique Thunderbolt I/O technology. Developed by Intel with collaboration from Apple, Thunderbolt enables expandability never before possible on a notebook computer.

Featuring two bi-directional channels with transfer speeds up to 10Gbps each, Thunderbolt delivers PCI Express directly to external high performance peripherals such as RAID arrays, and can support FireWire and USB consumer devices and Gigabit Ethernet networks via adapters.

Thunderbolt also supports DisplayPort for high resolution displays and works with existing adapters for HDMI, DVI and VGA displays. Freely available for implementation on systems, cables and devices, Thunderbolt technology is expected to be widely adopted as a new standard for high performance I/O.

macbookpro-110224-1.png

The MacBook Pro now includes a built-in FaceTime HD camera with triple the resolution of the previous generation for crisp, widescreen video calls. With Apple’s FaceTime video calling software, the new camera allows high definition video calls between all new MacBook Pro models and supports standard resolution calls with other Intel-based Macs, iPhone 4 and the current generation iPod touch.

FaceTime is included with all new MacBook Pro models and is available for other Intel-based Macs from the Mac App Store for 99 cents. The MacBook Pro lineup continues to feature its aluminum unibody enclosure, glass Multi-Touch trackpad, LED-backlit widescreen display, illuminated full-size keyboard and 7-hour battery.

macbookpro-110224-4.png

Every Mac notebook achieves EPEAT Gold status and meets Energy Star 5.0 requirements. Each unibody enclosure is made of highly recyclable aluminum and comes standard with energy efficient LED-backlit displays that are mercury-free and made with arsenic-free glass. Mac notebooks contain no brominated flame retardants, are PVC-free and are constructed with recyclable materials.

Every Mac comes with Mac OS X Snow Leopard and iLife, Apple’s suite of applications for creating and sharing photos, movies and music.

Technical Specifications

Size and weight:

Height: 0.95 inch (2.41 cm)

Width: 12.78 inches (32.5 cm)

Depth: 8.94 inches (22.7 cm)

Weight: 4.5 pounds (2.04 kg)

Connections and expansion:

MagSafe power port

Gigabit Ethernet port

FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)

Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)

Thunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps)

Audio in/out

SDXC card slot

Kensington lock slot

Communications:

802.11n

Wi-Fi wireless networking (based on IEEE 802.11n specification); IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible Bluetooth

Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) wireless technology

10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)

Audio:

Stereo speakers with subwoofer

Omnidirectional microphone

Combined headphone/line in (supports digital output)

Support for Apple iPhone headset with microphone

Environmental Status Report:

MacBook Pro is designed with the following features to reduce its environmental impact:

Highly recyclable aluminum and glass enclosure

Mercury-free LED-backlit display

Arsenic-free display glass

BFR-free

PVC-free

Reduced packaging volume

Meets ENERGY STAR Version 5.0 requirements

Rated EPEAT Gold

Display:

13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display with support for millions of colors

Supported resolutions: 1280 by 800 (native), 1152 by 720, 1024 by 640, and 800 by 500 pixels at 16:10 aspect ratio; 1024 by 768, 800 by 600, and 640 by 480 pixels at 4:3 aspect ratio; 1024 by 768, 800 by 600, and 640 by 480 pixels at 4:3 aspect ratio stretched; 720 by 480 pixels at 3:2 aspect ratio; 720 by 480 pixels at 3:2 aspect ratio stretched

Graphics and video support

Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory5

Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors

FaceTime HD camera

Thunderbolt port

Thunderbolt digital video output:

Native Mini DisplayPort output

DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (optional)

VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (optional)

Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter supports 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display (optional)

HDMI audio and video output using a third-party Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter

Input:

Full-size backlit keyboard with 78 (U.S.) or 79 (ISO) keys, including 12 function keys and 4 arrow keys (inverted “T” arrangement)

Multi-Touch trackpad for precise cursor control; supports inertial scrolling, pinch, rotate, swipe, three-finger swipe, four-finger swipe, tap, double-tap, and drag capabilities

Processor and memory:

2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor with 3MB shared L3 cache or 2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor with 4MB shared L3 cache

4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1333MHz DDR3 memory; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 8GB

Standard Configurations: 2.3 GHz or 2.7 GHz

Storage:

320GB or 500GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive; optional 500GB 5400-rpm hard drive or 128GB, 256GB, or 512GB solid-state drive6

8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Maximum write: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R; 4x DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD-R; 10x CD-RW

Maximum read: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-ROM; 6x DVD-ROM (double layer DVD-9), DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD

Battery and power:

up to 7 hrs wireless web

Built-in 63.5-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery

60W MagSafe Power Adapter with cable management system

MagSafe power port

Electrical and operating requirements:

Line voltage: 100V to 240V AC

Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz

Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)

Storage temperature: -13° to 113° F (-24° to 45° C)

Relative humidity: 0% to 90% noncondensing

Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet

Maximum storage altitude: 15,000 feet

Maximum shipping altitude: 35,000 feet

Guest Supreme Allah

nothing is set in stone

ill need a laptop in about 2/3 months so ill properly weigh up the the differences iwthout turning into some fanboy

but cos i was practically born on windows little differences with the OS annoy me, id prob get it and install windows, so a windows lappy may be th e better choice

i dunno ill see

Nah bro. Someone is probably chasing you around just negging.

I'm speaking from experience and I work for Apple anyways so it's not fanboyism. I have had plenty of experience and I deal with it all the time. Mac just shits on WIndows in every way, shape or form.