Has The Importance Of Having Two Parents Decreased Over The Years?

Mame Biram Diouf

Before it used to about each parent having a different role to play but nowadays both parents are capable of performing dual roles and being able to raise their children by themselvesI raised by a single parent with my mum putting together cuboards, going work, cooking etc all in oneIts a shame to see tbhWas walking my dog the other day saw this father and son kicking a football Was one of them powerful moments where you think wow I missed out of thatThoughts?

Tbh it seems the difference these days is more that woman can work and raise a family alone dont really see that many single dads doing it.Complex topic here but I'd say overall - yes - the importance of having 2 parents has decreased as being a single mother is less of a 'taboo', and more practical employment wise than im sure it traditionally was way back.In a way its a shame that less families stay together but if they are better off apart then, I guess its for the best. I'd prefer to have no father figure than one who made my mum/the family unhappy.

It has highlighted the improtance of having 2 parents moreso.It one of the main reasons that i try to stay with my girlfriend/ex/ dunno our status atm. For my son.I HAVE TO BE THERE. in my head there is no other option. I can't be no pt dad, for his sake. He NEEDS me, not in a ego stroking way.

• Upvote 1

I've played football with my dad like once or twice when I was little. Other than that I wouldn't say they've taken specific roles other than my dad being a hard arse about everything. Oh and my mum knows how to fix clothes (sewing and pinning and whatnot).I remember my friend's dad used to take us to the park and play football or cricket with us when we were little, but I won't lie I don't remember many parents doing that.

I can truelly recognize the importance of having 2 parents and I only had 1 of them full time and even then it was only for some of the time.But I use my fathers failings as a blueprint for what not to do when I'm a daddy. Those events he missed, and those days out he shoulda been in on, or those father son talks he shoulda given. I won't be missing them any of those with my younglings.The importance in having both parents will never drop. Anyone who thinks so is a fool

Gunner - Don't you feel your able to remain the same in ur sons life without being with his mum?I do applaud u however for trying to make it work.
No. Because i want to be there everyday, ideally.Bath him at nights, read him stories every night, have him wake me up, all of those little things that you take for granted. I See him probably on average every other day , sometimes 2/3 days without seeing him, sometimes see him everyday. Only until about 2-3 weeks ago have i not been seeing him all the time, as my girl has moved into her flat at the times as issues got bigger. There are certain things that i know his mother won't bring to him even if she gives 100% in all her efforts. She is a woman. I am a man, his dad. No disrespect to single mothers or fathers, but im sure everyone will agree that the best of 2 is better than the best of 1. Things like knowing his history, is culture, are some of the things that i know isn't imperative to his Mother, but to me, He HAS to know these things. Now i can do my bit if we aint together, but i can do so much more from closer.

That is too sweet and extremely selfless of you. I suppose if you were REALLY unhappy with her you would end it.
No soppy, selfless yeah, it's my duty, but i don't do it out of duty, but out of love. I also see it has a challenge. Im not REALLY unhappy, but i can't be bothered anymore. I'm on the fence, if i go for it i will, but if i don't i won't loose any sleep. Not gonna divert this topic anymore.
  • Upvote 2