Keeping it 'real'?

ThirdOption

Easy everyone...

So I was thinking, considering that most young rappers these days are so concerned with being 'real' and representing their lives/experiences accurately, how much importance does VIP2 place in authenticity? What do you think it means to be 'real'?

For example, people I've spoken to mentioned Tanna being fake for rapping in Jamaican/American even though he was raised in Brixton, fake for talking about selling crack but not about smoking it, and more recently for getting stabbed up in South London...Is any of that fake to you lot?

Discuss..

Easy everyone...

So I was thinking, considering that most young rappers these days are so concerned with being 'real' and representing their lives/experiences accurately, how much importance does VIP2 place in authenticity? What do you think it means to be 'real'?

For example, people I've spoken to mentioned Tanna being fake for rapping in Jamaican/American even though he was raised in Brixton, fake for talking about selling crack but not about smoking it, and more recently for getting stabbed up in South London...Is any of that fake to you lot?

Discuss..

Wait... What?

:/

tbh i don't really watch it too tuff any more cuz from when i listen to Rick Ross....... Boy......

• Upvote 1

Rap music is about making people believe.

Despite everyone knowing the sh*t about Ross, he has still been able to produce quality hit music, which is so strong that it still makes people believe, despite everything they know & seen.

Tanna away from everything mentioned in the opening post, talent wise he isn't good enough for the market he wants to be in. Which then means people concentrate on the reality of your raps and if people can see your L's and none of your wins, then your f*cked.

• Upvote 2

Guest Triple XXX

tbh if Prince Harry started rappin about movin units id buy it

i dnt really care much for background as long as theyre good story tellers

but overly fake just doesnt work

• Downvote 1

TBH

99% of these rappin ass niggas are liars

There simply arent enough murders for everyone to be a murderer

So no it doesnt matter

NP: Rick Ross - B.M.F.

True, but consider how many unreported crimes there are. A lot of young rappers are claiming to be shooters (some guys have accused others of firing and missing, firing blanks and only shooting at legs), a coupleclaim to have 'bodies' all over the shop, and others talk about knives more.

In a real life situation, you and Yunger Lickmandown walk past each other. You've heard his raps on Youtube and you know what he says he does. He's with 10 man from Say Nizzy Camp, but there's no camera man to be seen. Is it a different thing then?

i jus listen to the content of the song, dnt care if it's true or not, as spittin about Your own life is gonna be limiting, and certain things You're not gonna wana tell

but there are certain things that i can't accept:

fake accents, or generally annoying accents

fake beef over songs, then the artists suddenly makin up when at the time of the beef they were talkin about what they were gonna do when they see each other - sh*t pisses me off, needs to stop

uk artist collaborating with US artists before doing any with UK artists ( Alexandra Burke for example )

as long as they churn out good music, i will listen

but saying that authenticity is important to me, i have a certain respect for artists that are fully honest in their lyrics and speak how they've lived, whether they've lived an impoverish lifestyle or grew up in a 'normal' household is irrelevant to me as long as they're being real

TBH

99% of these rappin ass niggas are liars

There simply arent enough murders for everyone to be a murderer

So no it doesnt matter

NP: Rick Ross - B.M.F.

True, but consider how many unreported crimes there are. A lot of young rappers are claiming to be shooters (some guys have accused others of firing and missing, firing blanks and only shooting at legs), a coupleclaim to have 'bodies' all over the shop, and others talk about knives more.

In a real life situation, you and Yunger Lickmandown walk past each other. You've heard his raps on Youtube and you know what he says he does. He's with 10 man from Say Nizzy Camp, but there's no camera man to be seen. Is it a different thing then?

TBH bro I dont understand what you are trying to say ellaborate

^ That basically.

A little goonie who is rapping about doing things is essentially projecting an image of their whole world view, their beliefs etc.

Some people don't believe the image, some people do. But I think some people are also forced to changed their minds, because a lot of supposedly 'fake' rappers end up doing some pretty deep sh*t to prove how true-to-life the image is.

Do you rate Big H for posing with the shotty on Myspace? Chances are if you're over 21, no. But if you're 15, that's a big thing for you to take in about that person.

What about the 1% of really-real rappers out there?

Guest WAVESURFER

Authenticity in art has always been seen as a desirable thing.

Consumers want the artist to literally LIVE their art.

Music definitely has an element of this in it, perhaps even more than other art forms.

In the case of hip-hop though, I feel like certain types of film have had such a lasting influence on hip-hop culture (arguably longer even than any stylistic/musical component of the genre as it was originally conceived), and because of this, I feel that people are kind of aware that what they're listening to might not be 100% true, just like when they watch a film they're aware that the things they are seeing didn't actually happen in real life.

• Upvote 1

Listen if Uncle Murda catches a M charge tomorrow for shooting a police officer, whats the first thing his fans gonne say - Murda is a d*ckhead and he wasted his opportunity in life, despite the fact that thats the thing he been rapping to them and what they been head nodding to and calling him the truth for.

Same thing people say about Remy, Max B, Boosie, or anyone thats sent to pen while having a rap career.

Listen if Uncle Murda catches a M charge tomorrow for shooting a police officer, whats the first thing his fans gonne say - Murda is a d*ckhead and he wasted his opportunity in life, despite the fact that thats the thing he been rapping to them and what they been head nodding to and calling him the truth for.

Same thing people say about Remy, Max B, Boosie, or anyone thats sent to pen while having a rap career.

no, they'll continue sayin uncle murda's real, and their respect for him will rise.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Despite everyone knowing the sh*t about Ross, he has still been able to produce quality hit music, which is so strong that it still makes people believe, despite everything they know & seen.

Tanna away from everything mentioned in the opening post, talent wise he isn't good enough for the market he wants to be in. Which then means people concentrate on the reality of your raps and if people can see your L's and none of your wins, then your f*cked.

no, they'll continue sayin uncle murda's real, and their respect for him will rise.

No they won't.

• Downvote 1

No they won't.

so what You're saying is the people who listen to him because him talking about murder is inspiring to them, or they just like the way he speaks about it won't admire him for actually commiting a murder?

the same fans who would stop listening to him if he snitched?

Guest WAVESURFER

Speaking as a big Uncle Murda fan, I can say 100% that if he goes to jail tomorrow for shooting a copper, I will be gutted, and I will say "what a d*ckhead, he's blown it".

Fully c/s what TF said.