Tony Blair Interview starting NOW on BBC2

Skola

Just coz he makes one mistake?

An illegal war for oil which has made the UK a target for terrorists and has pretty much sparked sectarian war in an otherwise stable (but albeit oppressed) country which has led to countless innocent lifes to be lost?

Quite a big mistake.

He lied. They wanted Saddam out. At any cost.

Look at the consequences - the country is a mess, innocent people are dying every day, and more people have turned to terrorism/islamic extremism to get revenge and/or justify attacks on their own county and other countries across the world.

And despite this, he will still go down as one of the best we have had.

Bought in min wage

Sorted out gov in Scotland, Wales and NI. Swear he was the 1st to proper sort out NI

Sorted out House of Lords

Bought in civil partnership act, even though I dont agree but in this day and age of "accepting" all people, this was again a major thing.

/

Yes my grandad is a labour voter lol so been hearing loads of it "labour has helped the poor" etc

• Upvote 4

Gayle I dont know enough to debate

He may have done plenty good but the bush and blair partenership has changed the world for the worse which to me overshadows everything positive.

I only really know that stuff from what my grandad has told me, sure there is more as well. Just always wondered despite the war, why so many ppl refer TB as one of the best. Think even the Independent said something about it yesterday.

Cant and wont even defend that war TBH, his agreement to that war maybe his downfall in history

• 2 weeks later...
Guest WAVESURFER

Mandela 'felt betrayed' by Blair

Nelson Mandela felt so betrayed by Tony Blair's decision to join the US-led invasion of Iraq that he launched a fiery tirade against him in a phone call to a Cabinet minister, it has emerged.

Peter Hain, a lifelong anti-Apartheid campaigner who knows the ex-South African president well, said Mr Mandela was "breathing fire" down the line in protest against the 2003 military action.

He felt all the good work done by Mr Blair's government in Africa and elsewhere was "blown out of the water", Mr Hain said of the conversation, revealed in his new biography of Mandela.

The trenchant criticisms were made in a formal call to the Minister's office, not in a private capacity, and Mr Blair was informed of what had been said, Mr Hain said.

"He rang me up when I was a Cabinet minister in 2003, after the invasion," he told the Press Association.

"He said: 'A big mistake Peter, a very big mistake. It is wrong. Why is Tony doing this after all his support for Africa? This will cause huge damage internationally'.

"I had never heard Nelson Mandela so angry and frustrated. He clearly felt very, very strongly that the decision that the prime minister had taken - and that I as a member of the Cabinet had been party to - was fundamentally wrong and he told me it would destroy all the good things that Tony Blair and we, as a government, had done in progressive policy terms across the world.

"He was always full of praise for the way our government had trebled the overseas aid and development budget for Africa," he said.

"He just felt that all of this had been completely blown out of the water by the Iraq invasion.

"I know Nelson Mandela quite well. He was virtually breathing fire down the phone on this and feeling a sense of betrayal. It was quite striking."

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=154653180