Free Weights vs Machines

manuel

Whats the argument here? I mean I've seen healthy gains by using 85% machines for my workout in the last 3 months (when I first started going to the gym) but Im going back to Uni so had to join a new gym that did weekly memberships as Im only here for another week and my regular gym only does monthly ones. Its mainly a free weight gym this new one Ive joined so have had to change my routine. So I've basically been using free weights for the last week and will be next week. Only thing is I prefer machines so much more. Is it just Im not used to the movements of using free weights. I felt I had a much better workout on machines rather than free weights. I always hear their better than machines though? Whats the benefits of free weights?Thanks.

yeh free weights offer u no support, so go light until ur confident and then push the weight up, that's when you'll feel their benefit, i was the same as u, everything was machines, i felt like i could push myself harder and therefore get better results, it was only once i had become confident enough with dumbells and barbells that i started to push the weight. one thing i will say, when u first start with free weights and all you've used is machines you will straight away realise how weak u are and you'll wonder why the f*ck you didn't jump on them before.edit, these days main exercises r free weight ones, then i'll finish off with a few machines if i feel like a certain spot hasn't been hit enough.

Thanks everyone. c/s the way you feel so weak when you first go on free weights. I made the rookie mistake of walking over to the same weight I was doing on the bicep curl machine. :D Nooo nooooo noooooo way was I picking that one up ha. Think I just need to get used to the movements in my left arm. My right arm is naturally stronger anyway becuase its what hand I write with etc but the movements in my left arm just feel so weird lol.

machines have their advantages especially the ones with a 'cam'(i think this is the right word) where they tighten up at the key point of the movement, giving more focus.i do my main exercises where possible on free weights, then cables then machines. i often use machines with a drop set routine for max pump