Big Sam 'I Should Be Real or Inter Manager'

Guest faze

Sam Allardyce insists that Arsene Wenger is no more 'advanced' in terms of coaching than him.

Allardyce feels that the perception of him is the only thing separating him from somebody like Arsenal manager Wenger.

The Blackburn boss refuses to back down in his spat with Wenger, who has been a big critic of Allardyce's style of play.

"There is a problem with perception. Arsene is seen as a sophisticated Frenchman while I'm just a rugged English centre-half from the Midlands with an accent to match, but is Arsene more advanced than me in terms of coaching? Not a chance," said Allardyce.

"Does he use live fitness data on his players during games? Does he study sports psychology every day? Does he use sports science to the extent that I do? I doubt it.

"None of all this affects my view of Wenger. I have total respect for the way he changed his philosophy in recent years when the £400million move to the Emirates Stadium reduced his spending power in the transfer market.

"He hasn't won trophies yet with his current crop but he has stuck to his guns by insisting that nothing will prevent the development of his young players. Arsenal play some wonderful football but what makes the Premier League interesting is the difference in styles between teams."

Private

Allardyce admits that Wenger is a private figure who will never be truly understood.

"The truth is that nobody really knows Arsene Wenger. There certainly aren't too many people who actually get close to him," he continued in his News of the World column.

"If that's Arsene's way, though, then I respect that. Maybe he doesn't like me. Maybe he is keen to get on the coach or the plane after fulfilling 45 minutes of post-match media duties.

"He loves the psychological warfare of the Premier League, the world's most watched and talked about sporting competition. It goes with the theatre of the game and without it football would be less interesting.

"Arsene is a very clever guy. He uses his profile in London to get messages out which are aimed at putting pressure on referees.

"We can get fined by the FA for directing remarks at referees before games - but he did it in a very clever and subtle way.

"However, if Arsene is allowed his opinion, then I am entitled to mine. I speak to about six press people on a Friday afternoon and he probably speaks to about 60.

"What goes on between managers doesn't bother me, in fact, I find it very entertaining.

"But if I have an opinion nobody will stop me expressing it. How we go about our business as bosses is different from each other."

Allardyce also admitted that he would miss former Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez following his summer departure from Anfield.

"I am gutted that Rafa Benitez has gone. He hated me and I used to love winding him up," he said.

"For years he came to Bolton and never got a result and used to accuse us of cheating."

lol

Big Sam>>>

• Downvote 1

He was never gonna succeed at Newcastle though, from he has a 'sure up the defence' mentality but he took over a team based on attacking football. The transition would have taken a good 3 years and Newcastle just didn't appreciate the concept of switching from trying to win a game to trying not to lose.

Look at Stoke, they went about playing defensive football 1st cos it's most important IMO as it is to Tony Pulis and Big Sam. Once you know your team can mix it with the best at this level then you start adding a more attacking element.

It's what Stoke appear to be doing and what I believe Sam has tried to do with all the teams he has managed. That's why he signed the likes of Anelka. It's like getting to the next phase of the plan

• Downvote 2

TBH I can appreciate watching a Blackburn game and Sams style of play, form an entertainment perspective it may not be what people want but from a footballing perspective it realy can be class at times. Like what he got diouf to do yesterday was imo a stroke of genius, to me its similar to a manager asking skillful players to run with the ball in the box and try draw a foul it technically can be seen as unfair but it works.

• Downvote 1

• 6 years later...
2 hours ago, Thizz said:

Retired. 

Until January...

19 hours ago, Thizz said:

Said that to my pal earlier ? 

He just loves the thrill of a relegation battle. 

Calm survival bonus scheme ?