You know what?

Captain Planet

I've just clocked

Of all the free roamers I've played GTA 3, San Andreas, IV, Shadow of the Colossus The Italian Job, The Getaway and Black Monday, Assassins Creed 2, Mafia 1 & 2, Red Dead Redemption, True Crime and any others I may have missed out

Bar GTA 3 and San Andreas, SOTC, the Italian Job and AC2 (in parts) they were pretty sh*t and just milk the free roaming element of the game.

It's got to the point where I think games like MGS, Mario still offer me more entertainment value than these, because I'm not simulating taking a f*ck*ng drive around a city that doesn't even look 100% real.

I think game producers are just becoming lazy knowing that people like the freedom that a roamer offers, I enjoyed creative games like Okami or ZOE instead of a basic drive and shoot type game where people are telling me "the story is sick".

Abes oddessey was even more f*ck*ng fun than some of these games i played

both the Getaways we're sh*t gameplay wise but I played it and wanted more simply because i could drive around my own city and the story, handling, controls, physics was all sh*t it just felt cinematic.

I don't want to play movies, I wanna play games.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Ah yes Spiderman was another one

Yeah the earlier games we're sick, i remember being hyped for Spider-Man 2 convinced my brother to pre-order it and everything

It's odd because what they game really needed was a free roam element, but once that happened they just slacked on everything else, one was fun thaough (can't remember which) the arial moves and all that stuff, but because they we're following the movie plot they we're limited story wise. the previous two games had sick stories but no free roam elements.

i see where you're coming from

but i like free roaming games, especially when they're done well they're entertaining in their own right, i understand tht not every game developer has the ingenuity to offer me a profound game with lots of originality, a complex story and witty dialogue

if you can take a generic concept and make a solid game that keeps me entertained i will pos you irl, some recent free roamers i feel are decent: assasins creed 2, yakuza 3 (if you're into beat em up adventure kinda thing) arkham asylum (although it loosely fits into this category)

RPGs have had sandbox gameplay on lock from early, fallout 3 being recent testimony to the greatness of RPGs. which speaks for itself, on the subject of creativity outranking base entertainment....i co-sign you on the point about creative games, they always have more to offer than the generic stuff. sh*t like bioshock, fallout 3, deadspace, mirrors edge, kingdom hearts MGS, hitman are like a breath of fresh air

• Upvote 1

At first there was a novelty factor. Wow I can go about doing what I what interacting with random elements of the city. Next it was wow look theres 3 cities and countryside and sh*t I can interact with and explore.

Now its all done games need to go a step further to have that value, but some of them dont.

I've just clocked

Of all the free roamers I've played GTA 3, San Andreas, IV, Shadow of the Colossus The Italian Job, The Getaway and Black Monday, Assassins Creed 2, Mafia 1 & 2, Red Dead Redemption, True Crime and any others I may have missed out

Bar GTA 3 and San Andreas, SOTC, the Italian Job and AC2 (in parts) they were pretty sh*t and just milk the free roaming element of the game.

It's got to the point where I think games like MGS, Mario still offer me more entertainment value than these, because I'm not simulating taking a f*ck*ng drive around a city that doesn't even look 100% real.

I think game producers are just becoming lazy knowing that people like the freedom that a roamer offers, I enjoyed creative games like Okami or ZOE instead of a basic drive and shoot type game where people are telling me "the story is sick".

Abes oddessey was even more f*ck*ng fun than some of these games i played

both the Getaways we're sh*t gameplay wise but I played it and wanted more simply because i could drive around my own city and the story, handling, controls, physics was all sh*t it just felt cinematic.

I don't want to play movies, I wanna play games.

Terrible terrible terrible post

I ain't got time to write why though

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

But I'm not criticising games like Shenmue, because the interaction is a major part of the gameplay, shenmue is sick, its an action-RPG most of the games are NOT

It's mainly driving games where basically its a bunch of shootouts seperated by a drive

Shadow of the collosus follows this format but the game is so immense, it pulls it off perfectly. Travelling is actually a very fun experience, you see new landscapes, colours, scenery, ruins, everything was though out even to the fictional history of the land.

Dunno how my opinion can be wrong @ natty