Toshiba show 3DTV without glasses

Guest Triple XXX

Guest Triple XXX
Toshiba has launched what it claims are the first 3D television sets that do not require special glasses.

The two sets are able to create 3D effects in real time from standard film and television pictures.

The televisions use a special lenticular sheet to create an array of nine overlapping images.

A viewer sees different images with each eye, creating the illusion of a 3D picture.

The system is similar to that used in the Nintendo 3DS handheld console.

Both Toshiba televisions use the Cell processor - originally designed for the PlayStation 3 - to process the pictures.

Masaaki Oosumi, president of Toshiba Visual Products said it was "obviously more natural to watch TV without glasses".

However, the technology requires a person to be sat in an optimal position to see clear 3D images.

The electronics giant suggests a person sits 90cm (35in) from its 20in set and 65cm (25in) from the 12in screen. The picture is also best viewed with a 40-degree "sweet spot" in front of the set.

These limitations are why most manufacturers - including Sony, Samsung and Panasonic - use glasses to generate 3D effects.

These rely on images for each eye being broadcast one after the other in rapid succession.

Filters in the glasses flash on and off in sync with the picture, filtering the correct image to each eye. The brain recombines the image into a 3D picture.

3D TV is still in its infancy, but broadcasters are already ramping up efforts to provide content in the UK.

Last week, Sky launched Europe's first dedicated 3D television channel, whilst Virgin has launched a 3D movie channel.

Toshiba said the smaller version of its new sets will cost about 120,000 yen ($1,400), and the larger one will be double the price. It is also working on a larger 56 inch model.

It said it hoped to sell 1,000 units a month but currently has no plans to sell the sets abroad.

They were unveiled at the Ceatec electronics show in Tokyo, Japan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11467352

kinda sheg that u have to sit in one position

but a step in the right direction

Guest Triple XXX

lol aint that what people said about HD? and probably even electricity

give it a achance its still in its infancy they could do some f*cked things with it

im still not convinced myself, but i got a feelin like them black eyed peas that sutin nice will come out of this

But is 3D tv in it's infancy? They tried it in cinemas in the 70s to mild success.

Ultimately will there be enough content or demand for it to be worth it? Here's hoping, but while I haven't been doing price checks to see what it will cost to get one, I don't imagine it's gonna be a price that appeals to the masses thus will it even be cost effective to mass produce?

Avatar will probably be re released another 3 or 4 times just to get the 3D market on it's feet

Guest Triple XXX

different kinda 3D technology bro

n for the old version you didnt need standalone 3D equipment, just normal sh*t

everything relating to technology is incredibly expensive to start off with but it gets cheaper

Bluray can already handle 3D, although you need a 3D bluray player but the PS3 does it now through the firmware upgrade

give it around 2 years bare sh*t will be comin out in 3D on home media

u already see bare 3D cinema films, but its mad expensive, when it gets cheaper everyone will be doin it

Brethren!

I have seen the light.

I'm not gonna lie to you, I thought 3DTV was a fad.....they had a SKY booth in the train station today, and it opened my eyes.

That sh*t ain't 3D like when we were yutes, this sh*t is actually sick.

It was one of dem ones where I didn't actually know what to say. I've been gunning it for so long now...I was humbled.

(*disclaimer - that sh*t ain't getting purchased till I see a significant price-drop)

• Downvote 1