Driver dies after following sat-nav into reservoir

Guest Lens

Driver dies after following sat-nav into reservoir

A MAN has died in Spain after following his car's sat-nav instructions and driving into a reservoir.

The 37-year-old drowned when the GPS device sent his Peugeot 306 down an abandoned road and straight into the artificial lake. Rescue workers found his body 10 feet underwater and 24 feet from the bank. The driver's 38-year-old passenger swam to the shore.

The accident happened at La Serena, Spain's largest reservoir, in Capilla on Saturday night.

The Red Cross said in a statement: "It seems the vehicle's GPS device told them to go down an old road which ended in the reservoir, but the darkness did not allow them to brake in time."

The men - both from Senegal but living in Seville - have not been named.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23884555-driver-dies-after-following-sat-nav-into-reservoir.do

boy....

This is a picture i took of what the roads are like out there.

dsc04957n.jpg

Driving in that part of Spain especially in those areas is a scary,scary experience. Outside of the towns and cities there is seemingly no speed limit. And no street lights in the mountainous areas with sheer drops all along the mountain areas. Now just imagining driving round there at night.

What a horrible way to end your life :/

RIP

I cant say whether this applies to the guy in question, but its quite annoying when you get people who just blindly follow the sat-nav and switch off their brains. it helps to at least be aware of your surroundings and have your bearings, sat-nav aint always giving you the best route.

Was gonna say. He might be excused here but you see some stories where the drivers go through rivers and get stuck becuase Sat Nav said so. I mean come on.....

RIP though still.

^^

its dark...your are on roads you dont know...you (for some reason) are driving fast...satnav says take a left...you are driving down a hill...50miles an hour....suddenly you are about to hit water

no chance (of avoiding it)

but i DID wonder how the passenger suvived not the driver. conspiracy theory or murder?