Louis Theroux - Law And Disorder In Lagos

Guest Esquilax

C/S Supermalt

lol

there gonna bring a camera round to see how slumy a third world is. great. this is new. :/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11184315

\

f*ck esquilfag etc etc

i sought to po's u as a means of correcting what i percieved to be the injustice of yur neg

and in doing so i accidently neg'ed u and thus increased yur hardships

oh cruel cosmic irony

sorry bro

• Upvote 2

the thing is prgrammes like this take everything out of context. all it will do is to reinforce stereotypes.

a trip down canary wharf, victoria, london bridge/the city during rush hour is almost no different in context to a busting part of lagos

in terms of everyday hustling.

i was in lagos in june and so much had changed for the better from when i was last there. the best parts of lagos are much better than the best areas of london

if lagos was so disorderly there wouldn't be an explosion of foreign people (westerners) included flocking there with their families to live and work.

you can go to any airport and see the flights to lagos and how mixed the people going there are.

even though the show may mention a little bit of good, its highly unlikely, and is more geared towards feeding ignorant people with more ignorance.

im sure it wont be mentioning developments like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E906CPuq5Ac

• Upvote 2

the thing is prgrammes like this take everything out of context. all it will do is to reinforce stereotypes.

a trip down canary wharf, victoria, london bridge/the city during rush hour is almost no different in context to a busting part of lagos

in terms of everyday hustling.

i was in lagos in june and so much had changed for the better from when i was last there. the best parts of lagos are much better than the best areas of london

if lagos was so disorderly there wouldn't be an explosion of foreign people (westerners) included flocking there with their families to live and work.

you can go to any airport and see the flights to lagos and how mixed the people going there are.

even though the show may mention a little bit of good, its highly unlikely, and is more geared towards feeding ignorant people with more ignorance.

im sure it wont be mentioning developments like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E906CPuq5Ac

po'sed

/

does this mean we must start being civil to one another

i wouldn't like that

Guest Triple XXX

good normal accurate civil tv does not get viewers ergo it gets no advertisers so its nt worth doing

in the case of the BBC it wont get viewers in a primetime slot so they see it as a waste of licence fee money so they put on animal n gardening shows

tbh i dnt really care if people see Africa as lawless and whatnot, the people that need to know, know, i still love it

we shall rise up

hers not walkin about mogadishu kabul karachi cuiddad de juarez bogata various other places

so what, are you saying that nobody has made a documentary in kabul in the last few years?

and you can definitely travel to bogota, that's laughable to think you can't. more likely to have problems from the water than from crime

but you could add the whole of the caucasus to your list to be fair eg grozny

• Downvote 1

Guest Esquilax

New York and Tokyo are the only REAL rivals I see too London in terms of city quality IMO

Every major city has its merit but those three are by far, from what I've seen, the best

• Downvote 1

Let's not be silly

The best parts of LDN are the best parts of any capital city

Can't believe what I'm seeing, treasonous bastards

IMO architecture is one thing Certain Nigerian cities have over london(if u favour that new age glass building look like i do).but this is common sense IMO- lagos is a developing city, thus the ideal place for any ambitious architect with vision

also land. Bigger plots of it to be sold simply because there's more of it. TBH the houses are just generally more luxurious. Remember i am talking about the well off parts. In a country where there is no middle class, i'm sure u can imagin the vast difference between the poorest and richest parts of lagos.

/

u only say "lets not be silly" because u haven't been there/ most likely have the general western misconception of developing "3rd wolrd countries"

and how many capital cities have u been to pray tell?

• Upvote 2

New York and Tokyo are the only REAL rivals I see too London in terms of city quality IMO

Every major city has its merit but those three are by far, from what I've seen, the best

the best parts of paris are better than london, the best parts of sao paolo are better, singapore, and NY as you said.

london imo is just about catching up in some ways to these cities, in terms of technology, amenities, dining, social activities,

while its still lagging in others.

• Upvote 1

Guest Triple XXX

tbh this is just the Americans think London is tea n cakes argument but with Lagos

i just think people who havent been to or know of a particular area shouldnt comment on it

• Upvote 3

Let's not be silly

IMO architecture is one thing Certain Nigerian cities have over london(if u favour that new age glass building look like i do).but this is common sense IMO- lagos is a developing city, thus the ideal place for any ambitious architect with vision

also land. Bigger plots of it to be sold simply because there's more of it. TBH the houses are just generally more luxurious. Remember i am talking about the well off parts. In a country where there is no middle class, i'm sure u can imagin the vast difference between the poorest and richest part of lagos.

/

u only say "lets not be silly" because u haven't been there/ most likely have the general western misconception of developing "3rd wolrd countries"

true stories.... lagos is extremes......the ghetto is worse than anything in london but the best parts >>>>>>>> some of the houses :o

lagos is addictive , anytime i come back to london life just seems slow and dull here (which isnt allways a bad thing tbh)

• Upvote 1

IMO architecture is one thing Certain Nigerian cities have over london(if u favour that new age glass building look like i do)

u think lagos and other nigerian cities?? are better than london for architecture, fair enough u said modern architecture

ive never been nigeria

but what do these cities have that compares with norman fosters gherkin or the fastly rising shard of glass, which will be europes highest nd prob best

Guest Esquilax

Let's not be silly

also land. Bigger plots of it to be sold simply because there's more of it. TBH the houses are just generally more luxurious. Remember i am talking about the well off parts. In a country where there is no middle class, i'm sure u can imagin the vast difference between the poorest and richest parts of lagos.

/

Regarding your first point - because of the rich history London has, its buildings reflect each different era, so it's not like the ruins of Rome nor the shiny bright lights of Vegas. Personally I prefer older, or classical architecture, which is why I like holidaying in places like Bruges and sh*t like that, because the buildings are, for want of a better word, magnificent.

Obviously the bigger plots allow for more palatial housing, but like I said before, you get a mixture in London, huge stately homes in Chelsea and tiny back alley hovels in wherever. London is the only city in the country that bases its post codes on how important the boroughs and areas are.

I have travelled well for my age and seen a fair few places, not just major cities.

/

@Carpe - Paris is probably the most similar capital city to London in terms of layout, and I do love Paris for the unmatched culture, however I think both historically and at the present, London has the edge. Music, fashion etc etc. Obviously I'm biased because I love this city, even though I don't see as much of it as I'd like.

• Upvote 1