R.I.P MY DON

Thizz

_49397029_jex_828947_de27-1.jpg

A chimpanzee famous for smoking cigarettes has died at a South African zoo, aged 52.

Charlie the chimp started smoking when some visitors to Mangaung zoo, in Bloemfontein, threw him lit cigarettes.

Zoo spokesman Qondile Khedama said Charlie had become an institution, entertaining thousands of visitors every year with his antics.

An autopsy is being conducted to determine the cause of death.

For years, zookeepers had been trying to get the chimp to kick the habit, and they discouraged visitors from giving him cigarettes.

But Mr Khedama said he did not believe the addiction had ended Charlie's life prematurely, as he had lived around 10 years longer than the average chimp.

"He was on serious medications and in and out of the vet," he said.

"Even though he has been receiving special care, and a special diet including protein shakes, vitamin and mineral supplements, he succumbed to old age."

Charlie is not the only chimp to have picked up human bad habits.

In February, it was reported a Russian chimpanzee was being sent to rehab after he started pestering visitors for alcohol and cigarettes.

Mr Khedama said the zoo hopes to find a new companion for its female chimp, Judy.

But he said: "We realise it will be almost impossible to replace a character like Charlie."

lol he was on protein shakes and everything

how strong do u reckon u cud make a chimp if u trained it to lift weights. baring in mind ur average chimp is like 5 times stronger than a human. iirc a normal female chimp once pulled a 500kg weight.

something i think about quite often.

not strong enough to succesfully engage a gorilla in hand to hand combat

better of equipping chimps with firearms training imo

or at the least some rudimentary karate

• Upvote 1

how strong do u reckon u cud make a chimp if u trained it to lift weights. baring in mind ur average chimp is like 5 times stronger than a human. iirc a normal female chimp once pulled a 500kg weight.

:lol: :lol:

not strong enough to succesfully engage a gorilla in hand to hand combat

better of equipping chimps with firearms training imo

or at the least some rudimentary karate

tru, i think gorillas r menna be 10-20 times stronger than a man. i think the concept of firearms might be a bit abstract for a chimp, i think swords or hammers wud work well.

but ape army aside im interested in knowing how much a trained chimp cud lift in overhead/bench press/deadlift. i dont think a gorilla wud be interested in such a training regime, altho the internet says they can lift a ton above their head.

On 08/10/2010 at 1:30 PM, Uncle Man said:

i wud assume that a chimps upper body stats wud be more impressive than there lower body stats given the way they bop about on there arms etc

however im no expert on the subject so this is purely a laymans conjecture

yes, a human would definitely be able to squat more than a chimp or a gorilla imo, also possibly bench press, where i believe their long arms might limit them. i also think dead lifts would be a problem because i think they would have trouble balancing the weight. I am interested to know how they would perform with overhead press and chest supported rows as well and i think their lateral pulldown would far exceed human capability. of course you could always invent a new set of lifting exercise engineered towards a chimps physiology, there would be some interesting variations based on their ability to grip the bar with their feet.

this is one of those subjects i contemplate on long car journeys.

/

LOL @ .