Powerline

A Bit Better

Anybody heard of these powerline adapters? You connect your modem to a plug that goes into a regular electricity socket. Then you have another plug that you connect to your laptop or PS3 or whatever and you have a wired connection without having wires going all over the house!

Just saw it at my boy's place and couldn't figure out how I'd never heard of it!? All this time I've been wasting my time with shitty wireless and then had to get a wire that leads from my dining room my to my bedroom!

Here it is on play.com for like £50.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/6106686/Netgear-XETB1001-85-MBit-s-Powerline-Homeplug-Network-Adapters-Kit/Product.html

Copping one tomorrow.

probably 'cause they cost so much? (answer to the subtitle of the topic)

The one in my link is like £50. Are routers significantly cheaper?

you don't need a router for each PC

and yeah you can get a router for £15, or free with your ISP

One PC and one laptop in the house. Only other need for internet is the PS3 which I can't use with wireless as it keeps dropping in the middle games. If I get a splitter I can use one of these plus to more than one machine in the same room. So, the answer to my question (which was quite obviously rhetorical) is "Dunno. f*ck that router."

Made a topic on these last year

One of the best things I've bought tbh

What one did you get? Nothing came up when I searched powerline.

Search for Homeplugs. They are sick.tbh.

Gave mine to ky cousin as I have no net. As Lenford said one of the best purchases I've ever made...

I dont get how this works, isnt it still a wireless connection?

My understanding so far is:

You plug an ethernet cable into the powerline thing, then that transmits wirelesly to your router. Is that how it works?

it connects through the wires in your walls with electric signals

nah I don't get it either