bill gates this morning

Supermalt

the problem is the food deficit.

there is basically not enough to go around, even if all the food in the world was shared out equally there would still be a deficit.

its nuts that there are more people alive at this moment than have died in all of human history, our population has exploded over the last hundred years.

we need to start terra forming mars and living on different planets imo.

there is no food deficit, i dont know where you have this information from.... there are huge silos of grain, wheat etc... all over the world

the problem is economics.. i.e farmers growing cash crops because they make more money and the speculators in the city who invest in agriculture crops and try and corner the market...... if you had any idea how much milk is poured away each day smh

• Upvote 3

there is basically not enough to go around, even if all the food in the world was shared out equally there would still be a deficit.

its nuts that there are more people alive at this moment than have died in all of human history, our population has exploded over the last hundred years.

there is no food deficit, i dont know where you have this information from.... there are huge silos of grain, wheat etc... all over the world

the problem is economics.. i.e farmers growing cash crops because they make more money and the speculators in the city who invest in agriculture crops and try and corner the market...... if you had any idea how much milk is poured away each day smh

from national geographic magazine:

Last year the skyrocketing cost of food was a wake-up call for the planet. Between 2005 and the summer of 2008, the price of wheat and corn tripled, and the price of rice climbed fivefold, spurring food riots in nearly two dozen countries and pushing 75 million more people into poverty. But unlike previous shocks driven by short-term food shortages, this price spike came in a year when the world's farmers reaped a record grain crop. This time, the high prices were a symptom of a larger problem tugging at the strands of our worldwide food web, one that's not going away anytime soon. Simply put: For most of the past decade, the world has been consuming more food than it has been producing. After years of drawing down stockpiles, in 2007 the world saw global carryover stocks fall to 61 days of global consumption, the second lowest on record.

"Agricultural productivity growth is only one to two percent a year," warned Joachim von Braun, director general of the International Food Policy Research Institute in Washington, D.C., at the height of the crisis. "This is too low to meet population growth and increased demand."

on sub-saharan africa specifically:

Agricultural production per capita actually declined in sub-Saharan Africa between 1970 and 2000, while the population soared, leaving an average ten-million-ton annual food deficit. It's now home to more than a quarter of the world's hungriest people.

link to the article, which is interesting and mostly about how we can increase food production

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/06/cheap-food/bourne-text/1

Guest Triple XXX

its nuts that there are more people alive at this moment than have died in all of human history

you sure about that one?

/

rather make deserts habitable because we are not using up this planet

Dubai is essentially a city/ state built on a desert. The before and after pics are amazing

Let's not forget that through genetic modification vegetables can be made much larger, so it isn't even a question of sunshine and rainfall.

that cost billions tho

/

oil is gonna run out soon (unless them deep oil rigs find something we dont know about

the f*ck we gonna do then?

i dnt see much innovation in the way of new technologies, no ones really pushing hydrogen electric is fossil fuels again unless nuclear stations and more hydro electric dams are setup, wind n solar aint sayin much

its nuts that there are more people alive at this moment than have died in all of human history

you sure about that one?

/

rather make deserts habitable because we are not using up this planet

Dubai is essentially a city/ state built on a desert. The before and after pics are amazing

Let's not forget that through genetic modification vegetables can be made much larger, so it isn't even a question of sunshine and rainfall.

that cost billions tho

/

oil is gonna run out soon (unless them deep oil rigs find something we dont know about

the f*ck we gonna do then?

i dnt see much innovation in the way of new technologies, no ones really pushing hydrogen electric is fossil fuels again unless nuclear stations and more hydro electric dams are setup, wind n solar aint sayin much

we all know that story about the car that was developed years ago that could run on water...... i am 100% certain that new energy sources have been developed and im 100% sure that they are being suppressed if we didnt need oil for energy today by tomorrow every stock market in the world would crash , there would be a massive depression

Theres a false food shortage. its man made, and due to globalisation.

Every country is being systematically made to be interdependent on the other, which has its advantages, but there are little advantages agriculture wise.

countries that were world leading producer's of certain products, are no longer. they are importing products they used to produce

• Upvote 1

@ nem yh i dont really know enough to debate about it, but from when global stockpiles are getting as low as 61 days and there are places on the planet that are short by ten-million-tons, i would say that amounts are becoming a problem. obv the fact that half the world is wasting tons of good food and the rest are starving is making the problem more acute.

/

the energy issue makes me mad. nature can give us all the energy we need and more for free and without turning the planet into a shithole. thing is, i just know that we will turn to nuclear power as opposed to solar or geothermal, and as a result still be trapped by a dependency on governments and companies to sell us our energy.

• Downvote 1

@ nem yh i dont really know enough to debate about it, but from when global stockpiles are getting as low as 61 days and there are places on the planet that are short by ten-million-tons, i would say that amounts are becoming a problem. obv the fact that half the world is wasting tons of good food and the rest are starving is making the problem more acute.

/

the energy issue makes me mad. nature can give us all the energy we need and more for free and without turning the planet into a shithole. thing is, i just know that we will turn to nuclear power as opposed to solar or geothermal, and as a result still be trapped by a dependency on governments and companies to sell us our energy.

100% agree i think the governments rather than developing cheap , clean environmentally friendly sources of energy are more interested in the sources of energy that would give them the most profit...

im not a conspiracy/illuminatti kinda guy.... BUT anyway you look at it there is a conspiracy to f*ck us all just for a profit

Guest WAVESURFER

/

100% agree i think the governments rather than developing cheap , clean environmentally friendly sources of energy are more interested in the sources of energy that would give them the most profit...

im not a conspiracy/illuminatti kinda guy.... BUT anyway you look at it there is a conspiracy to f*ck us all just for a profit

Yeah, by the capitalists, politicians and corporations who make billions off the current energy system.

Nothing to do with illuminati or conspiracies, it's simply capitalism.

• Downvote 1

Well this bill gates dude is investing in nuclear technology.

So why the f*ck dont the scientists man up and colonise somewhere in the solar system.

Remember in that move ALIENS - when they use some atmospheric processor to filter out the poisonous gases.

it was basically a big nuclear fusion reactor - powered by nuclear technology.

Atmosphere Processors are installed on planets with unbreathable or toxic atmospheres to convert the environment to a habitable one. Atmosphere Processors ventilate and then superheat unbreathable gasses from the atmosphere, ionising them and splitting them into their component atoms. The Processor would then release the gasses into the atmosphere as processed Hydrogen, Nitrogen and Oxygen. A constant crew is required to maintain an Atmospheric Processor and often entire colonies would be established for this purpose, such as Hadley's Hope on Acheron LV-426. .

If hes going on about over population.

Trust youd be suprised how technology is influence by Science Fiction.

• Downvote 2

theres no way a black or asian person with any self respect is giving away their fortune for some altruistic power puff cause

hes a mug

100 years inot the future his money will have counted for nothing... it wlill havae achieved nothing

another disease or war will have wiped out any progress he mde

if i had that much money i wouldnt feel 2 ways about spending it and keepin it in the family

talkin about eating of solid gold plates

if i was his kid id be a bit pissed

human life is so cheap so why spend money tryin 2 conserve it

this guy smh

always typing some sh*t

• Upvote 2

Theres a false food shortage. its man made, and due to globalisation.

Every country is being systematically made to be interdependent on the other, which has its advantages, but there are little advantages agriculture wise.

countries that were world leading producer's of certain products, are no longer. they are importing products they used to produce

carpe knows if all these 3rd world/subsaharan countries were producing their own food like before there would be no such food shortages and the sh*t about the planet being overpopulated is also gas. there is alot of uninhabited land, its not a thing about culling various populations its about encouraging them not to migrate to cities or building new ones.

How many people have died in human history?