Graduate unemployment 'at a 17-year high'

Supermalt

Graduate unemployment has risen to its highest level for 17 years, research suggests.

A study of the graduate class of 2009 found that 8.9% were out of work in January 2010, the Higher Education Careers Services Unit said.

The last time graduate unemployment hit this level was in 1993, it added.

The National Union of Students said the bleak prospects for graduates underlined how "unfair and illogical" the plans to raise tuition fees were.

The government will give its formal response to the Browne Review on higher education funding for England later this week and is expected to confirm that tuition fees will rise.

According to the Higher Education Careers Services Unit (Hecsu) survey, the graduate unemployment rate has risen by one percentage point since last year - to 8.9% - with just over 21,000 students known to have been out of work in January.

Peaked

The previous year, the graduate unemployment rate had shot up from 5.5% to 7.9%.

But Charlie Ball, from Hecsu, believes it might have peaked.

"Graduate unemployment hasn't risen as high as we feared and is some way off the levels of the last recession in 1992, when it reached 11.6%," he said.

"Prospects for graduates in the short-term look brighter, with unemployment, as a result of the downturn, likely to have peaked and next year we expect to see a decline.

The study also showed that graduates in some courses had far better fortune in finding work than those who had taken other subjects.

IT graduates had the bleakest prospects, with an unemployment rate of 16% among their number. Graduates who had studied engineering, media studies or architecture also had a jobless rate above 10%.

By contrast, geography and psychology graduates had a better than average chance of getting work.

The president of the National Union of Students, Aaron Porter, said the figures showed the government should reject the recommendations of Lord Browne's review.

"These latest figures show that students are graduating from university into the bleakest employment market for decades," he said.

"This is yet further proof that the radical proposals in Lord Browne's review to remove government funding for the majority of subjects, and simply transfer this cost to students, is unfair and illogical."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11652845

my final yr pl, are u applying for jobs already.

just applied for one and plan to do it all day..

IT graduates had the bleakest prospects, with an unemployment rate of 16% among their number. Graduates who had studied engineering, media studies or architecture also had a jobless rate above 10%.

/

these are just the ones they know about, cos i never did this survey

i heard about one guy who got a 1st MEng and spent a year unemployed, in the end he had to hire a recruitment agent to get him interviews

problem is uni doesnt prepare you practically for a job in engineering imo

not just the economic downturn, just that graduates are not prepared for work

• Upvote 3

People need to stop doing sh*t degrees and going to sh*t universities.

Uni isn't for everyone! Tony Blair and his people convinced the country that it is and that's how we got in this mess!

ye thanks to them and all these pricks gettin degrees, the qualification is almost worth the same as good A-levels were a while ago.

this is the worst time to be in uni and its only gettin worse as fees go up, at least ill be gone before any of that is implied.

Uni isn't for everyone! Tony Blair and his people convinced the country that it is and that's how we got in this mess!

swear u got a 2.2

/

y are guys neggin me...i'm not even sending, just pointing out the inconsistency

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

swear u got a 2.2

Yep, in Maths at a top 20 uni. Then got a gradaute job.

Please clarify how that's relevant. Or are you just bitter coz you're one of the people Tony fooled into believing you could be more than you actually can?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

swear u got a 2.2

Yep, in Maths at a top 20 uni. Then got a gradaute job.

Please clarify how that's relevant. Or are you just bitter coz you're one of the people Tony fooled into believing you could be more than you actually can?

when you said sh*t degree i thought u were referring to degree classification, it's now evident that u meant subject

as regards to the last part

do i seem like such a person?

/

i wasn't trying to sh*t on yur achievements

i just thought u were trying to sh*t on others unjustly (which i suppose u still were)

lets not make a thing out of it

i disagree with the whole "sh*t employment rate as a result of sh*t universities and sh*t degree" way of thinking

i dn't think theres such a thing as a sh*t degree

really and truely a degree is suppose to be about seeking to further yur learning in yur chosen field of interest

law is no more valid a subject than sociology or geography

and for the record the degree classics is widely recognised as being notoriously difficult and as such is looked upon favourably by many recruiters (at least in law and certain finance jobs)

i bet prima facie a lot of people would consider that degree to be sh*t aswell

every time theres a Uni thread, theres always phlegm and snot left on the walls.

i dont think blair was to blame for making people want to achieve higher than their circumstances Dictated.

higher education does improve your prospects in life, whatever course you studied if you have the right attitude and drive. of course its not the only way, but its the most common and achievable method

the "easy" part was the mistake allowing anyone being able to apply for a student loan to pay for uni and get through.

gaining a scholarship to fund your studies makes you think about the step you're about to take to go to uni..and it happens every year when you need to reapply to renew the scholarship. thats what i think shd be the way forward anyway..

f*ck classics, did that sh*t for a-levels

too boring (truesay it was a combo of literature, history and politics, which i was doing already, so maybe it was just overkill"

ratings to any1 that sticks that subject out

done it for a levels and got a A

owww

the Aeneid, The Odyssey, Medea, Hippolytus, Oedipus the King >>>>>>>>> ______________

every time theres a Uni thread, theres always phlegm and snot left on the walls.

i dont think blair was to blame for making people want to achieve higher than their circumstances Dictated.

higher education does improve your prospects in life, whatever course you studied if you have the right attitude and drive. of course its not the only way, but its the most common and achievable method

the "easy" part was the mistake allowing anyone being able to apply for a student loan to pay for uni and get through.

gaining a scholarship to fund your studies makes you think about the step you're about to take to go to uni..and it happens every year when you need to reapply to renew the scholarship. thats what i think shd be the way forward anyway..

i agree

except for the part about removing government loans and replacing them with scholarships. I think that will just push the lower classes out of higher education. But i agree with the principle assumptions behind what you're saying. Low entry requirements are a big part of the problem.

However that being said i do also think people should be given a chance to do better

The issue is that it's not people with the right attitude and drive going, it's EVERYONE.

No because then people are just punished for failing schools that do not nurture those that show promise because they're struggling to help those that are weaker stay afloat.

The issue is that it's not people with the right attitude and drive going, it's EVERYONE.

No because then people are just punished for failing schools that do not nurture those that show promise because they're struggling to help those that are weaker stay afloat.

i dont understand what your part in green means. how are you punished? a scholarship process is YOUR chance to show how YOU are prepared for university, and its not just about scores and test results. and like compared to the US, there's thousands of ways to build up enough funds.

nothing wrong with everyone going to university. china has 300m in university, india probably the same. lol@ not seeing the need to remain competitive and raise an educated generation.

i dont understand what your part in green means. how are you punished? a scholarship process is YOUR chance to show how YOU are prepared for university, and its not just about scores and test results. and like compared to the US, there's thousands of ways to build up enough funds.

nothing wrong with everyone going to university. china has 300m in university, india probably the same. lol@ not seeing the need to remain competitive and raise an educated generation.

How many people in China do you think are doing events management? Coz I've met almost 10 people in the last couple months that are doing it at 3 different universities! Do you need to go to university to manage events?

Raising an over-educated generation just for the sake of doing adds unnecessary strain to the country's finances.

And I don't see what the basis of your scholarships is if it's not scores or test results.

• Upvote 2