Should Wenger employ George Graham as Ass Man instead of Rice.?

YesWeCain

• 5 months later...
Arsene Wenger has been attempting to talk Pat Rice out of retirement for a long time, reports say that Pat Rice has yet to make his final decision but I am not expecting to see him sitting next to Wenger in the dugout next year.With a new assistant manager probable, a new majority owner and pressure like never before on the manager to spend some of the transfer budget, this summer is likely to be one of change – not massive change, but more than what we have seen in recent years.I was told the other day that Neil Banfield is being seriously considered for the role of assistant manager for next season, Neil has been at the club for nigh on 14 years and is the current reserves coach at the club – he is a trusted aide of Arsene Wenger who would ideally like to fill any vacancy that may arise internally.Other candidates include Steve Bould and Gilles Grimandi – compared to Banfield both are still in their off-field infancy as far as careers in the backroom staff go. Grimandi is Arsenal’s head scout in France whilst Steve Bould coaches the youth team and has been involved with the youth set up as a whole for some time now.The appointment of Neil Banfield would also be popular with the players, I understand. He has considerable input with first team affairs currently and is a popular figure – the players enjoy his training routines and value his coaching skills.Steve Bould has been touted as the favourite in the media for quite some time if Pat Rice retires, however, Banfield is in the driving seat and I expect to see him sitting next to Arsene next season.http://thegoonblog.com/

george graham would have no problem getting that defense into where it needsthat plus the wenger factortrophies galore imoour players are already "creative" in their approach to the game what we need is some steelsome of that famous back 5 sh*t

• Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Arsene Wenger has finally revealed some good news for Arsenal after a season of frustration: Pat Rice is ready to give the Frenchman's team one more year.The contract of Wenger's assistant Rice, who has served the club as player and coach since 1984, expires this summer and a chronic knee injury was expected to force him into retirement.But while Wenger will contemplate the sale of Cesc Fabregas or Samir Nasri to raise transfer funds, losing his right-hand man at this critical time was unthinkable. 'Pat Rice has told me he will continue for one more year,' Wenger said on Sunday. 'It's important for me because he knows how I work and we have a good understanding and complement each other. The day he stops will be a massive loss to this club.'Wenger did not want a shake-up of his coaching staff while he focuses on finding the ingredients his side have missed as they have failed to win silverware over the last six years.He has been told his summer spending budget will be just £30million for transfer fees and wages and feels it is not enough for the surgery he requires following Arsenal's late-season collapse. A disappointed Wenger had expected more from the takeover by American Stan Kroenke but is resigned to having to wheel and deal.He wants Lille's Belgium midfielder Eden Hazard, whose £15million transfer fee and £80,000-a-week wages would blow most of the budget in one deal.But a top centre-half, left-back and striker are also on Wenger's wanted list and he is looking at his options to raise more money even if his public stance, repeated on Friday, is to do 'everything' to keep Fabregas and Nasri.The reality is that having rejected a £30m bid for Fabregas from Barcelona this season, Wenger will be more open to sell this summer, particularly if Real Madrid follow up their interest and create a bidding war. The return of Aaron Ramsey, seen as Fabregas's long-term replacement, means the Spaniard is no longer indispensable.More likely, though, is the departure of Nasri, who has a year left on his contract, failed to agree terms on a new deal and has Inter Milan monitoring him.Arsenal have been disappointed with Nasri's form since January and Wenger does not want a repeat of Emmanuel Adebayor's situation in 2008 when he stayed at Arsenal after protracted uncertainty but suffered a disappointing season and left the following summer for Manchester City.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1387146/Arsene-Wenger-persuades-Pat-Rice-stay-Arsenal-year.html#ixzz1MN69SI4o

Lol.Pat Rice knew how to defensively set up a team when we was "Invincibles".The squad has nobody with a Giggs type service, who you could suggest have witnessed and heard the 14 years of Rice & Wenger and maybe not react to it the way they would a new voice.Yes an argument could be that maybe Wenger and Rice might be too prone to hearing each others voice maybe, and after 14 years become the same voice leaving nothing new to bounce off, but I still think we need to look no further than the players and the penny dropping.

However Wenger revealed that he will may add to his backroom staff over the summer. “We always need [fresh ideas] and I am thinking about it,” said the manager. “I don’t know yet if I’ll bring in someone. I cannot tell you yes or no because I have not made that decision.” However Wenger did quash stories that he was about to bring in former Charlton boss Phil Parkinson.