Apparently NASA has found new life

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

Guest Waka Flocka Dave
NASA has discovered a new life form, a bacteria called GFAJ-1 that is unlike anything currently living in planet Earth. It's capable of using arsenic to build its DNA, RNA, proteins, and cell membranes. This changes everything. Updated.

NASA is saying that this is "life as we do not know it". The reason is that all life on Earth is made of six components: Carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus and sulfur. Every being, from the smallest amoeba to the largest whale, share the same life stream. Our DNA blocks are all the same.

That was true until today. In a surprising revelation, NASA scientist Felisa Wolfe Simon and her team have found a bacteria whose DNA is completely alien to what we know today, working differently than the rest of the organisms in the planet. Instead of using phosphorus, the newly discovered microorganism—called GFAJ-1 and found in Mono Lake, California—uses the poisonous arsenic for its building blocks. Arsenic is an element poisonous to every other living creature in the planet except for a few specialized microscopic creatures.

http://gizmodo.com/5704158/nasa-finds-new-life

theres videos and sh*t

thought it was a joke so i googled it,

theres videos and sh*t on there

NASA press announcements have a way of grabbing your attention

Couple weeks ago they scheduled a conference proclaiming they'd discovered an EXCEPTIONAL OBJECT IN OUR COSMIC NEIGHBOURHOOD!!!. Turns out it was a new type of young black hole in a nearby galaxy, which is pretty cool in its own way, but I'd already started preparing my 'Hail Ants' placards

lol, the way I saw NASA and thought space

what does this mean to us anyway?

Basically means there could be types of recognisable life on planets/moons which weren't previously considered as potential sources, because it was thought they lacked the minerals

And also reminds us that there may yet be other life which doesn't use elemental building blocks in the same way

They also tripled the estimate for the number of stars in the universe

• Upvote 1