PROTEST SEASON

Supermalt

Topshop's flagship London store hit by tax protest

Campaigners protesting against tax avoidance by big business took over Topshop's flagship branch and forced it to close temporarily.

Activists targeted the Oxford Street store in London and other UK branches, including Glasgow and Birmingham.

The London protest started at 1100 GMT when protesters started blowing whistles and chanting.

Topshop boss Sir Philip Green has been criticised because his wife, the firm's direct owner, lives in a tax haven.

No-one from Topshop's parent company Arcadia was available for comment.

'Direct action'

Protest organisers UK Uncut have been providing updates on Twitter where they claim more stores were forced to shut for a time.

Campaigners were forcibly removed from the Oxford Street branch by private security guards and police.

In Birmingham, a protest at Topshop's store in the Bullring lasted 30 minutes, before campaigners were ejected by security guards.

Police in Brighton made 16 arrests in the city, where protesters glued themselves to the windows of a Topshop store.

Topshop owner Sir Philip is one of the UK's most successful retailers.

With a personal fortune of more than £4bn, he owns the Arcadia Group, whose fashion chains include Topshop, Burton, Dorothy Perkins, Evans and Miss Selfridge.

His wife Tina is the direct owner of Arcadia, and she is officially a resident of Monaco. This enabled her to gain a tax-free £1.2bn dividend in 2005.

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

swear the main Tory donor is a tax dodger? lol no wonder theyre lax about doing something about it and making noise about benefit cheats.

both bad ofc

but the benefit guys aint the only ones

swear the main Tory donor is a tax dodger? lol no wonder theyre lax about doing something about it and making noise about benefit cheats.

both bad ofc

yh lord ashcroft

set up crime stoppers uk tho and owns one school

but still a c*nt from that bbc doc i saw

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

both bad ofc

yh lord ashcroft

set up crime stoppers uk tho and owns one school

but still a c*nt from that bbc doc i saw

saw that, dude basically f*cked that one island, Belize was it? with his contracts with communications companies or whatever

dudes already rich why u tyna f*ck up a not so rish state for? go f*ck with Luxemburg or sutin

Guest Awesome Kong

I remember watching a documentary about cheap labour in this country with people who were on £2/3 an hour and they were making the garments for topshop and other stores Philip GREED owns. When the presenter approached him, guy tried to twist it to make her look bad when it is bait he knew about that sh*t. He makes me feel sick. Didn't know he owned Burton, will refuse to shop there like the others.

/

How can one bredda own so many high street brands? This competition act ting is gassed.

I remember watching a documentary about cheap labour in this country with people who were on £2/3 an hour and they were making the garments for topshop and other stores Philip GREED owns. When the presenter approached him, guy tried to twist it to make her look bad when it is bait he knew about that sh*t. He makes me feel sick. Didn't know he owned Burton, will refuse to shop there like the others.

i saw parts of this this

terrible

and that lord ashcroft in belize

slavery basically

i saw parts of this this

terrible

and that lord ashcroft in belize

slavery basically

the crook basically runs the countries money

\philip green wouldnt care about these protests tbh

a 1.2 billion pound check to himself still baffles me

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

think its cos his wife lives in a tax haven n she has some position in the business or his finances somehow so he doesnt pay that much tax

i dunno lettme find some info on it

think its cos his wife lives in a tax haven n she has some position in the business or his finances somehow so he doesnt pay that much tax

i dunno lettme find some info on it

Yeah that's tax avoidance, which isn't illegal. Tax evasion is a crime

It's pretty common for business people to do that, or to employ their wife as their secretary or w/e. People are just getting pissed because when he does it it amounts to a much larger amount of money than most