Bird breeder offers reward for information about missing budgies

Abdul Osman

A top bird breeder today called in the ‘Flying Squad’ and offered a £200 reward as part of a desperate nationwide public appeal to trace his missing – BUDGIES.

Andrew Pooley, 58, hired a retired police officer who is now the UK’s leading ‘pet detective’ to help trace 21 beloved birds stolen in a bloody night-time raid.

He was devastated when thieves broke into his aviary the night before a top show and STAMPED his champion ‘best of breed’ budgie Penmead Pride to death before stealing the other birds.

Jealous breeders, envious of his impressive £2,000 collection of prize birds, are thought to be behind the theft and ‘budgie-cide’ at his home in Delabole, Cornwall in August.

Andrew today made a desperate appeal through a specially arranged press conference to trace the feathered fiend responsible.

He unveiled his biggest weapon in tracking the culprits down – John Hayward, a retired detective with Thames Valley police, who is now Britain’s leading private pet investigator.

John vowed to leave no stone unturned in his bid to track the criminals, who he believes are local and known to Andrew.

John warned: ”I only need one phone call, anonymous or otherwise. Someone somewhere has the information we require

”A third party, or family member, must know something, you can’t hide birds and there has been a high degree of calculation involved.”

Andrew, who is secretary of the Caged Bird Society, told assembled journalists yesterday: ”Penmead Pride was my first ever champion. He won the best in breed this time last year.

”I can remember feeling so proud because it was only a baby at that time. I just can’t believe that someone would stamp on my champion bird.

”I don’t want to believe it. I am so angry that if I ever got my hands on the person that did it – I would stamp on them.

”When you step into the aviary all the birds start flying around so the death could have been an accident.

• Downvote 1