The House That Made Me: Jamelia - C4, 23 Dec, 9pm - Airing dirty laundry?

2deal2

The House That Made Me: Jamelia - C4, 23 Dec, 9pm

d5e4aaf4-ea7e-4396-8bba-f5df4849cd43_200x113.jpg

Pop star and mother of two Jamelia returns to the Birmingham council estate where she grew up in the 1990s with her second-generation Jamaican mother and her two half brothers in a close-knit Caribbean community.

In the front room of her childhood home, Jamelia rediscovers the warm environment that her house-proud mother, Paulette, would spend hours creating with her DIY, home cooking and African art.

Jamelia charts the stages that led her to her own pop success, tracking down the beloved home karaoke machine on which she recorded the demo that sealed her first record deal, aged 15, and excitedly trying it out again 14 years later in her bedroom. She celebrates the Americanisation of culture, through TV, music and fashion, which contributed to the direction she would take.

Jamelia and her mother draw parallels between their lives: strong, independent women, but both raising children alone, without long-term partners. The two also consider how Jamelia's life differs so much from her two brothers', who joined gangs and would go on to spend time in prison.

Jamelia meets a British-Jamaican historian to explore why many of the fathers, such as hers, in the Caribbean community were absent.

She also examines the effects her father had on her own experiences with men in her adult life and, after a thoughtful exchange with school friends, she decides to confront him, leading to a poignant and emotional meeting with the father she hasn't seen in six years.

Does anyone feel uncomfortable with these types of shows when Black people get involved or do we need to talk about these issues to deal with them?

It definitely needs to be addressed imo.

I don't think C4 and Co are the channels where such issues should be addressed. But, then again where? Not like we got our own channel.

Anyway, I think the whole absent dad aint really down to race/ Ethnic background anymore. Its a general problem in todays society and should be addressed from this generations point of view.

On 17/12/2010 at 3:43 PM, Afroman said:

I don't think C4 and Co are the channels where such issues should be addressed. But, then again where? Not like we got our own channel.

Anyway, I think the whole absent dad aint really down to race/ Ethnic background anymore. Its a general problem in todays society and should be addressed from this generations point of view.

Not true

Don't wanna do an here, but lone mother families are a black phenomenon

Something like 70%+ of black children in the UK grow up without a father present in their home

There is no other group of people/culture where that statistic is anywhere near that high

In b4 rage

• Downvote 1

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

look at all these 16-24 year olds poppin kids to get council flats, the ones i know only 1 is with the dad tbh

aint sayin its as high, but its nt a just a mainly black thing

On 17/12/2010 at 3:48 PM, Yuri said:

Not true

Something like 70%+ of black children in the UK grow up without a father present in their home

There is no other group of people/culture where that statistic is anywhere near that high

In b4 rage

SSOURCE??

Not true

In b4 rage

Boy, those numbers sound distorted to me. like 70 %?

From my circle of friends/relatives. No way does that percentage add up.

But hey. I wont pretend like its not an issue in the community

Black fathers need to become more involved with their children to help tackle social problems among young people, a government minister will say.

Prominent black MP David Lammy will tell the Runnymede race think tank that fathers must take more responsibility.

In a speech on Monday, he will say this would address issues such as education underachievement and high crime rates.

The higher education minister will also praise women in families where fathers are either absent or uninvolved.

In the event to link in with Mothering Sunday, he will say: "What many women want for Mothers' Day can't be given by their children - it is more engaged fathers."

'Emotional bond'

Mr Lammy will touch on figures that suggest 59% of black Caribbean and 44% of black African children grow up in single-parent families.

"The mark of a man is not how many children he spawns but how he matches up as a father," he will say.

Mr Lammy will also call for fathers from all backgrounds to remain in touch with their children whatever the relationship with their mothers.

He will say: "Between a quarter and a third of children with separated parents have little or no contact with their fathers.

"It is not just the structure of families that matters. It is whether fathers continue to contribute to their children's lives."

He will argue that "modern fatherhood needs updating from the traditional model", saying that young people need "an emotional bond with their father".

The speech at the House of Commons will be accompanied by recorded video interviews with leading black figures such as broadcaster Sir Trevor McDonald and chart-topping rapper Tinie Tempah.

Sir Trevor said his father had a major influence on his life.

He told Mr Lammy: "My father always said 'Reach for the stars and you may get to the top of the trees, but you have to aim high'."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8565277.stm

its a 2010 article btw

still high but would like to see figures for other races

On 17/12/2010 at 3:55 PM, STRINGER BELL said:

Not true

In b4 rage

SSOURCE??

Sorry, I was exaggerating. It's not a real statistic, the real figure is probably more likely to be like 30 or something%. But Afroman and other guy making out it's not a black thing must be living in a fantasy world

edit, just seen your post. so more than 50% of black children grow up without fathers.

re other races: i read a statistic the other day that in soviet russia, where marriage was discouraged as an institution, divorces could be done over the counter in about 5 minutes, and huge numbers of men were dying in wars or in prisons, and the fabric of society/moral values was collapsing the number of lone parent families was only about 11% - source: http://books.google.co.uk/books?hl=en&lr=&id=rcXafOqyxgQC&oi=fnd&pg=PR9&dq=lane+1992+russia+single&ots=Gcac0dYhLF&sig=C3Q9TNxCL5fGiKFPWNor1v6EKdQ

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

what? i didnt say it wasnt a black thing, i grew up without a dad n so did most of my black friends

u said it was a black phenominon, which had the connotation of other races dnt really have that issue, so i said i know loads of single mums who arent black, whislt also stating im not denying its a problem within the black community

/

i dnt think it should be thrashed out on TV, not every problem that needs to be addressed needs to be on the television for all to see and ridicule

could it be argued that it has more to do with finacial situiations

it could be more of a lower/working class problem than a race one

assuming there is not that there is not many middle class blacks to whites how many middle class black children dont have a father in their lives

i don't know bro

if you go to dirt poor districts in the middle east, asia, eurasia (russia/azerbaijan/kyrgyzstan etc) it just isn't an issue

it is definitely something that is endemic within black culture/society/people/whatever

• Downvote 2

could it be argued that it has more to do with finacial situiations

it could be more of a lower/working class problem than a race one

assuming there is not that there is not many middle class blacks to whites how many middle class black children dont have a father in their lives

i don't know bro

if you go to dirt poor districts in the middle east, asia, eurasia (russia/azerbaijan/kyrgyzstan etc) it just isn't an issue on anywhere near the same scale

it is definitely something that is intrinsic within black culture/society/people/whatever

if you got to dirt poor districts of Africa it isnt an issue either i dont believe

• Upvote 1

so if you dont know what it is.... then how can u go on to talk about an endemic problem within something you cant even define?

because thats what happens on this forum

u have non black people who for whatever reason are very intrested in black culture

they come on here to get involved

cos in real life its not a possibility for them

• Upvote 2

so if you dont know what it is.... then how can u go on to talk about an endemic problem within something you cant even define?

are you f*ck*ng thick

i don't care about black "culture" or definiing what it is. i don't know why you are being so persistent with this, it's quite illogical. i clearly used those forward slashes and said "culture/people/community/society/whatever" because i wasn't talking about a culture, just a group of people, and now you're going on about wanting me to define a culture?

i originally came in this topic to post something about how i would bang jamelia

the guy who posted 2nd in this topic said something about maybe single parent families are an issue for everybody, and not mainly a black thing

i said, don't kid yourself

then a couple people responded to my post and tried to engage me in some kind of debate

and now you're going on as if i'm some guy who actually cares whether black kids have fathers or not and is going to do studies about it

if you want to believe that black children as as likely to grow up without a father as whites than keep believing it, it's no skin off my nose.

/my posts in this thread

• Downvote 1