A NIGHT OF HEROES:MILITARY AWARDS

imhim

although i understand these small people on the ground are just doing what theyre ordered, i will never give praise to soldier in iraq or afghanistan, the ratio of soldiers killed to innocent men, women and children is f*ckin disgusting, when equal amount of remembrance is given to those who died for simply being in the wrong place maybe ill give remembrance to the soldiers who died.

FACT:

The amount of civilian fatalities in Afghanistan has DECREASED since the US/Nato invasion of the country

Prior to the invasion, there were HIGHER rates of civilian deaths due to the Taliban and civil war/internal tensions

• Downvote 2

although i understand these small people on the ground are just doing what theyre ordered, i will never give praise to soldier in iraq or afghanistan, the ratio of soldiers killed to innocent men, women and children is f*ckin disgusting, when equal amount of remembrance is given to those who died for simply being in the wrong place maybe ill give remembrance to the soldiers who died.

FACT:

The amount of civilian fatalities in Afghanistan has DECREASED since the US/Nato invasion of the country

Prior to the invasion, there were HIGHER rates of civilian deaths due to the Taliban and civil war/internal tensions

Prior to the invasion Afghanistan was still recovering from The Soviet-Afghan war which lasted 8 years starting at 1979, which was in fact a Proxy war dictated by the US during the Cold war

• Upvote 2

FACT:

But that isn't the point of what he is saying, is it?

He is saying that remembrance of soldiers and civilians should be equal. Not about who killed more innocent people.

• Upvote 2

Guest TimeBomb

FACT:

now tell me the ratio of soldiers to civilians dying in iraq and afghanistan.

civilian casualties in iraq is at like 100k no? and soldiers like 5k no?

• Upvote 2

Guest WAVESURFER

FACT:

Source?

FACT:

Prior to the invasion Afghanistan was still recovering from The Soviet-Afghan war which lasted 8 years starting at 1979, which was in fact a Proxy war dictated by the US during the Cold war

Oh and not to mention it was in fact the US/UK who first armed the taliban during that war

Irony at its finest

ronald-reagan-with-mujahadeen.jpg

• Upvote 2

FACT:

Oh and not to mention it was in fact the US/UK who first armed the taliban during that war

Irony at its finest

ronald-reagan-with-mujahadeen.jpg

December 4, 1997: Talibann Representatives Visit Unocal in Texas

Representatives of the Taliban are invited guests to the Texas headquarters of Unocal to negotiate their support for the pipeline. Future President George W. Bush is Governor of Texas at the time. The Taliban appear to agree to a $2 billion pipeline deal, but will do the deal only if the US officially recognizes the Taliban regime. The Taliban meet with US officials. According to the Daily Telegraph, “the US government, which in the past has branded the Taliban’s policies against women and children ‘despicable,’ appears anxious to please the fundamentalists to clinch the lucrative pipeline contract.” A BBC regional correspondent says that “the proposal to build a pipeline across Afghanistan is part of an international scramble to profit from developing the rich energy resources of the Caspian Sea.” [bBC, 12/4/1997; DAILY TELEGRAPH, 12/14/1997]

It has been claimed that the Taliban meet with Enron officials while in Texas (see 1996-September 11, 2001). Enron, headquartered in Texas, has an large financial interest in the pipeline at the time (see June 24, 1996). The Taliban also visit Thomas Gouttierre, an academic at the University of Nebraska, who is a consultant for Unocal and also has been paid by the CIA for his work in Afghanistan (see 1984-1994 and December 1997). Gouttierre takes them on a visit to Mt. Rushmore. [DREYFUSS, 2005, PP. 328-329]

Guest WAVESURFER

I dont think you can compare the soldiers who were fighting the Nazis to the soldiers who were fighting Saddam and One eyed Mullar Omar

Why not?

Just like Rorschah said, they're the same people and these "lads" in Afghanistan would be dying fighting the Nazis if WWII was to happen tomorrow. Do you think that there was a lower percentage of psychopaths, scumbags, rapists, weirdos in the 1940s than there is the army today? Seems unlikely to me

I'd say there definitely was a lower percentage of psychos, scum, rapists & weirdos in the army in the 1940s.

Conscription back then meant that the army was full of normal lads.

Not like now where it's full of wrong'uns and simpletons.

Disclaimer: not all soldiers are wrong'uns or simpletons, many do a good job etc. etc.

• Upvote 2

FACT:

Yeah my dad, along with other relatives, fought in that war

Thanks for the history lesson though bro.

And the US's involvement and reason for funding the Taliban was aggression against the USSR, but the soviet invasion was nothing to do with the US

• Downvote 1

FACT:

Source?

I've read it a few in various places but you'll have to give me some time to google it cos I don't know where the source came from

edit

http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstat2.htm

Evidence of TAliban massacres of civilians for all the pro-taliban vip2 warriors - http://www.unhcr.org/refworld/country,,HRW,,AFG,4562d8cf2,3ae6a87c4,0.html

i know people won't bother read that so i'll summarise...even by conservative estimates, the decade long conflict in afghanistan has actually reduced civilian casualties by 80% from pre-invasion figures

• Downvote 1

Pro-Taliban

:lol::rolleyes:

As if the showing of stats, changes the sentiment of what Timebomb was saying.

What is he saying?

That too many civilians are dying? Most of the civilians in Iraq, where there have been huge numbers of civilian casualties, are killed by Muslims in sectarian attacks

Or that dead Afghan/Iraqi civilians don't get equal recognition in the British media as a dead British soldier? Not even gonna write a response to that it's so silly

• Downvote 1

He is talking about world recognition I assume. And why he doesn't give remembrance

Why you're making it some competition on who has killed more is beyond me. Because I don't see anyone else in here claiming they are pro-taliban, neither do I see anyone claiming America/Nato have killed the most Muslims in the last 20 years.

Its like your purposefully just seek to oppose.

• Upvote 2

Edit, this is long

you don't refute anything with facts when i respond to you

making it a competeition? if somebody says "look how many civilians have died in iraq compared to soldiers" i think it's fair enough to point out that a huge number of those deaths were caused by sectarian violence and not killed by soldiers

if TimeBomb doesn't want to remember british soldiers that's fair enough and i completely understand why, but they aren't going round slaughtering civilians 24/7

• Downvote 1

if TimeBomb doesn't want to remember british soldiers that's fair enough and i completely understand why, but they aren't going round slaughtering civilians 24/7

I did not see Timebomb or anyone else post that they are going round slaughtering civilians 24/7

Thats something you implied

But you called the soldiers from WW2 heroes for fighting and dying under orders. It's the same deal. If you think one set are heroes..the others have to be too.

I think the soldiers should refuse to fight, but I'm not gonna castigate them for it, because at the end of the day

I wear clothes that are made by little kids that work in sweatshops

I pay for products that allow corrupt companies to grow richer

wars for oil? Ever put petrol in your car

Unless you boycott your own comforts in place of your principles, you really can't talk

and I knowf or a fact that you don't

You can never have an impact on society if you have not changed yourself.

Nelson Mandela

Guest Awesome Kong

nt to divert, but can someone tell me why Israel is allowed nuclear weapons but Iran isnt? is it just because Iran is hostile towards the US?

No one in that region is meant to have any, but America slyly give Israel a bly and focus on Iran because it is hostile towards them.