James Blake

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

Nominated for BBC sound of 2011

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/soundof/2011/artists/

Wretch 32 & Jessie J are the only ones i know, never knew she had a stroke

One of the most exciting stories in UK urban music is the crossover success of grime artists to the commercial mainstream. After Dizzee Rascal and Wiley led the way to the charts a host of underground grime MC’s like Chipmunk, Tinchy Stryder and Tinie Tempah have achieved similar success. Wretch 32 hopes soon to join that list, “It’s like six or seven kids playing football, and five of them end up in the Premiership,” says the grime MC from Tottenham, North London.

Wretch 32 - real name Jermaine Sinclair came up in crews Combination Chain Gang and The Movement, and he’s built a reputation based on guest spots and series of hot mixtapes like Teacher’s Training Day and Wretchrospective. Coming to the attention of 1Xtra’s DJ Cameo, Wretch won a 1Xtra mixtape award called Most Street Heat and subsequently took part in a live debate show about Homegrown music for the station earlier this year. At Radio 1’s Big Weekend in 2009 he delivered an assured set on the BBC Introducing stage, following in the steps of other luminaries Chipmunk and Roll Deep. Wretch 32 also snagged the Best Hip Hop award at first Official Mixtape Awards in 2010.

For Wretch the markers of contemporary success are all there: 15,000 mixtapes sold, over 20,000 followers on Twitter, his own clothing line Wretchroboys. His single Traktor is built around a dancehall hall beat and a d*ck Dale surf guitar sample. Sitting somewhere between grime and UK Hip Hop, Wretch’s lilting, sing-song flow delivers canny lyrics like “My lifestyle’s terribly wild / But you never catch me on Jeremy Kyle”. With plays on 1Xtra from Trevor Nelson, Mistajam, and Rampage and a spot Radio 1as Zane Lowe’s Hottest Record In The World, Traktor as certain crossover potential. Attention UK: make way, Wretch 32 is coming through.

no idea who'll get it cos i dont know the rest, but someone was telling me the Vaccines are good..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Esquilax

Clare Maguire is swag

Jessie, Jamie W, James Blake are all good/ decent at the very least

Blakes music will find it hard to transist to the mainstream, it's more soundscape/ arty music

Guest WAVESURFER

Clare Maguire is swag

Jessie, Jamie W, James Blake are all good/ decent at the very least

Blakes music will find it hard to transist to the mainstream, it's more soundscape/ arty music

Nah, James Blake will cross over, he's gonna be like a James Blunt for art school girls.

Guest Esquilax

If you're right he's gonna have a lot of disappointed fans

I've never really been too impressed anyway

Jamie Woon isn't great live from what I've heard as well so

Who knows?

i dont really get the hype about james blake. the only thing of his i really liked was the "harmonimix" of A Milli.

few other tracks/remixes are ok, but the rest just doesnt seem like it has anything solid in it. i can see why people might like some of his tunes, but he seems a bit overhyped imo.

his remix of changes at dmz did not sit well with me at all. no bass on the drop, just had a massive plain face and walked out for a smoke at that point.

• Upvote 1

do it like a dude was originally intended for Rihanna eh? i can see it still

TBH I could not see Rihanna doing that song.

The record is seems like it's making too much of an effort, content-wise for someone like Rihanna. Rihanna did the whole 'powerful women' thing a lot better on Rated R & tracks like Hard & G4L.

• 2 years later...

tune bangs

• Upvote 2