New Years Football

Captain Planet

Guest Portuguese
WOW just Imagine some of you's saw Figo@Barcelona now that was peak.
Not every man in here started watching ball in 06.
but the Majority did
  • Downvote 1

lol man are questioning Beckham's ability and influence? He was a very good player who made it almost impossible for his team mates not to score due to the sheer volume and quality of his deliveries.Go to any primary school playground and watch how youngers even kick a ball now, he basically changed the tekkers of every generation that came after him. Whether you love him or hate him his influence is unquestionable.
Who is questioning his influence?He is without a shadow of a doubt the most influential English player of his generation, yet i wouldn't use that as an argument to justify how good of a player he was. What he was was a decent player who mastered a skill to a great level, he was a great passer and crosser of the ball, we understand that but i don't rate him as highly as some on here do, i could name many British players who have been better in the last 20 years quite easily, Beckham won't go down as one of the best footballers of his generation.
You're getting hung up on the quality of his all round game when the truth is his all round game didn't matter because what he did well, he did to such a level it more than compensated for his flaws.Wide players are primarily in the team to provide opportunities for others to score and who was better at providing opportunities than Beckham?Could he dribble like more traditional wide players to get to the byline? No.but where's the need when you can literally bend the ball around a man stood a few yards in front of you? Beckham's game was basically making a mockery out of all the work wide players had put in over the years to equip themselves with the tools to put good balls in and pose a goal threat. Add to that his engine and willingness to work for the team when they didn't have possession and you've got a very good player.I remember when Real played Man United and Carlos said something about Beckham being easy to mark, if i remember rightly he came off the bench and deaded Carlos with one piece of trickery before scoring as if to say 'shatap'. People go on about Giggs and he has undoubtedly been a great player over the years but other than Roy Keane there's been no Man U player I've respected more over the years than Beckham for both his ability and his strength of character.He didn't make the most of his career imo but questioning his ability is silly.
Beckhams ability is hugely overrated, George Best summed it up best when he said something along the lines that Beckham couldn't dribble, tackle, head, but apart from that was a good player. He will never be remembered alongside great wingers like Figo imo, players who could do everything Beckham could do to a degree but much more. Beckham being to just simply cross the ball without beating his man doesn't make him better than Giggs who would do the opposite, what matters is the results and i admit at United Beckham was very consistent and did get results but as a player overall he was limited imo. Being steady and consistent is good, but at the end of the day he never had anything in his locker to be considered a great, i never was wowed by Beckham, he is the winger equivalent of Carragher to me.

Guest Portuguese

Beckham isn't a winger never has been never will be(Beckham positionally is someone who just got pushed to the right because of Keane/Scholes)

• Downvote 1

Mcmanaman was a don and had him and the rest of the 'Spice Boys' had someone to instil some discipline he would have picked up a few more trophies and be much better remembered.Mcmanaman was a disgusting wide player more technically gifted than Giggs but not blessed with the same dynamic athletic strengths that made Giggs so f*cked at his peak, it was no surprise he did so well in Spain.
Giggs is very good technically so im not sure there but pretty much everything else was spot onI dnt understand people disregarding Mcmanaman he was top draw
Giggs is very good but not very consistent saying that I think injuries robbed him fullfying his potential and also props to Giggs for re-inventing himself from a Natural winger to an attacking midfielder.McManaman was more techincal than Beckham but Beckham is more of a complete player so Beckham>>McManaman
Becks can only play in 2 positionsMacca can play across the midfield and in the hole so I dnt kno what ur ona about there...

Guest Portuguese

@Anelka in complete I wasn't talking about postions I was on about terms of ability.remind me how many positions Phil Neville can play in?

Guest Portuguese

McManaman wasn't both footed do you know what both footed is?Look up Ballack/Sneijder/Pedro.He can use his left but he wasn't both footed.Better dribbler than Beckham and what else?.IMO only english players better than Beckham are Scholes/Gerrard.I am not including guys like Barnes/Ince/Gazza/Hoddle/Waddle(especially the last two).